1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Irish Choice by DisobedienceWriter - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jearom, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

Title: Harry Potter and the Irish Choice
    Author: DisobedienceWriter
    Rating: T
    Genre: AU
    DLP Category: The Alternate's
    Pairing: None
    Summary: Summary: With all the crappy stuff Harry goes through at Hogwarts, the smart money would be on him transferring to a different, better school early in his career. Here’s one way it might have happened. In homage to the many good stories on this topic, here’s my short series.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3771102/1/

Another great story from DisobedienceWriter. Shortly after arriving at Hogwart's, Harry finds out Dumbledore and McGonogal are blocking his mail. Features Manipulative!Dumbledore (looks to be leaning towards senile/dark), smart!non-angsty!Harry, and freed!Sirius.

2. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

Hmmm...I think I'll pass.

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

If you like DisobedienceWriter, you'll like this. I'd say, this is above average as far as he's concerned. Probably has to do much with the fact the world hasn't turned into an utopia (yet).

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Hm...I rather liked this story, but there are a few things that have me puzzled.

1) "Fully a quarter of all the owls that showed up that morning delivered mail to Harry Potter." Uhh...Fully a quarter? That's a really, really odd way to word that.

2) "It looked like she was considering scooping up all his mail and withholding it from him." This one has another instance of strange grammar, but that's not what's particularly odd about it. How does one immediately come to the conclusion that someone wants to steal someone's mail just because they're staring at it (and reasonably so, considering the fact that there was apparently around a quarter of the entire school's mail in front of Harry)?

That said, I find that this story has the potential to become either very good, or very, very bad. I'll keep reading the story, to see which becomes true. As such, rating withheld.

5. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Won't rate a one chapter fic, but this scares me. Dumbledore is a sodding idiot. Why is Dumbledore so stupid?

I hate when another, random magical school is suddenly better than Hogwarts. This looks like every other "Harry goes to another super-school where they focus more on studies" fic.

Some of the ideas are interesting, but without a decent chuck of time skipping and a plot for the future, this fic is going nowhere fast.

6. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Because it provides a contrast. Harry is not very smart, but put beside Disobediance's Dumbles, Harry is fucking Mozart.

As usual, fun to read if you can suspend disbelief.

2/5

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  7. PlacatedTurtle

PlacatedTurtle Backtraced

I got annoyed and stopped reading as soon as the headmaster of the other school said they use an oxbridge style of learning. Why the fuck would a school for 11 to 18 year olds use a university level style of learning. Also, Oxford and cambridge don't do much differently to any other university. The idea that 11 year olds could learn from lectures and self study is retarded.

8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Ack, I'll continue reading it just because I am not bored with it, and it has some interesting ideas (Ideas that have already been used I might add), and even if this has some of the same problems as his other writing; everyone in Hogwarts is an idiot, manipulative, and seems to want to Harry to die for them, it is still semi interesting.

Anyhow, I believe its a 2/5 at the moment but it could change, so I will not rate it yet. Is it just me or is his writing getting worse, rather than better?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  9. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, the system at Hogwarts isn't much better. Nor, for the matter, is any real school that good - this particular Irish school seems to be of the "private and gifted only" type, so perhaps such a system would work for them.

But as for the story itself, it is for the most part astoundingly typical and quite cliched. The writing is technically sound, and it's kind of fun to see Harry succeed, but the only real bright spot is that Dumbledore now seems dangerously obsessed with finding and "getting" Harry - which is a bit atypical from his standard "friendly grandfather" approach. For now, it's a bit "eh" - if the author really brings something interesting to the table, I think it could become something fascinating.

Now, I give it 2.5/5 - but I may change my mind for the next chapter.

-J

10. malaga

malaga Auror

I don't know, I went to an intermediate school where we mostly learnt that way, and I find it works incredibly well if you work at an advanced level, but is full of fail when it comes to average or below average kids.

11. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

It was... mediocre. I could stand the new school being better but to have a new Headmaster that seems to have all the answers? A little too much. The stupid Dumbles is also a turn off...

2.5/5

12. griselda

griselda First Year

I agree, he seems to be too perfect. Maybe there's something up with him, though. The fact that he seems to be in on the Flamel prank could be a clue.

It's an interesting start, but I'll have to see where this is going before I feel comfortable enough to rate it. At the moment, I'd give it a 4, mainly because the Flamel prank and the way both Quirrell and Lockhart died had me cackling madly.

Before the release of Deathly Hallows I'd have scoffed at the idea that Dumbledore's master plan falls to pieces because of a simple oversight. Now, it's a legitimate interpretation of canon imo. Definitely good enough to base an AU on. If the author has some good ideas for an alternative resolution to the Harrycrux problem, this could turn into a great story.

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Well, Chapter two is out, and I must say...It's extremely long, considering just how little actually happens. The following pretty much covers the events of the chapter:

Harry studies, starts to learn how to use his metamorphmagus abilities (I forget, was this mentioned in chapter one? Even if it was, there hasn't been anything to show its importance to the plot) and thinks about the threat Dumbledore could be; Sirius dissuades him with a sentence or two.
    Dumbledore plans, tries to get into the Irish ministry, fucks up royally, and gets put into the Irish prison.
    Harry gets bullied by some fifth year students.
    Dumbledore gets out of prison, and starts to create some good ol' fashioned chaos.
    Draco Malfoy's immediate family all dies; he decides to start applying to different schools (one of which being the scoil); this is mentioned, not shown.
    Harry gets bullied some more, gets pissed off, is calmed down, and basically starts forcing the headmaster to be more adamant about bullies.
    Dumbledore kills Fudge, frees Bellatrix Lestrange, and creates yet more chaos.
    Dumbledore manages to kidnap Harry, end chapter.

This chapter didn't really manage to draw me in, though a few of the scenes do give me some hope for future chapters. Harry's been given a goal to work towards, and the end of the chapter provides the necessary kick-start for the plot to move. This story might just prove itself yet.

All the same, I rate the first two chapters at a 3/5 at most. It's an interesting read, and something to do if you're particularly bored, but I don't think it's worthy of the Library at this point.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  14. darthdavid

darthdavid Second Year

3.25/5 with potential for a better score later
    It's not that great yet, the plot could either get good or get terrible depending on just how he handles the immediate future. We shall see...

15. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

Every single DisobedienceWriter fic, (1) Voldemort dies like a bitch and (2) Dumbledore is the real enemy. At least Dumbledore is somewhat intelligent in this one. Actually, if you edited the second chapter and replaced his name with "Voldemort", he'd have a shot at becoming one of my favorite LVs in fanfic.

16. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

DisobedienceWriter is the only author I remember by name for writing annoying as hell shit.

17. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

New chapter's up. It's great; lots of action and almost no politics at all. I like what he did with Malfoy too. If he keeps it up and don't make the ending too mushy, this might turn into DWritter's best story yet.

18. Croaker

Croaker First Year

4th and final chapter posted.

I thought it was godawful. I mean, Bellatrix destroys the ministry. The British muggles find this out. From the fucking Irish, naturally. Things get worse for the British ministry, and then after Voldemort takes over Hogwarts, they drop bombs on it (They know where it is because of satellite photography or something despite the wards around Hogwarts).

And it fucking explodes. The wards surrounding Hogwarts go down and Hogwarts is fucking leveled, because Dementors also explode when they die. What the fuck?

Add a dash of ridiculing Prophecy at the end of it too.

Oh, and Harry is clever enough at age... what, fourteen now? to outwit the "best" assassin around.

2/5

19. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

What a crappy ending. Trashbin!!! Trashbin I say!!!
    I, like most of the people here hate the lack of conflict in his fics. Everything is so fucking easy.... why nobody had thought of these solutions before? Dumb stories.

20. Eladi

Eladi Squib

If it weren't for the fact that the rest of the story stunk I would give it a 5/5 for just this line

And, worst of all, his first lesson with that scary-looking teacher, Scape or Screech or Snipe. Whatever his real name, he looked like Professor Bat Guano.

That is now the title I will forever call Snape by.