1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The New Adventures of Spider-Man in 2008

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Sep 13, 2007.

1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

[​IMG]

It seems that Spider-Man will have another animated series going in 2008, "The Spectacular Spider-Man". As a fan of the character and an avid comic consumer, I can't be more disappointed with this. Apparently, they've chosen to follow the way "X-men Evolution" started, with high school teeny adventures. I was hoping for an Ultimate universe approach, fairly similar to what they did with those 'movies' about the Ultimates...

It's too much to ask for something similar to what Bruce Timm did with "Batman: The Animated Series" in the early 90's?

Anyway, here's the link with a trailer and the poster.

2. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I hate Kids WB.

3. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

As much as I love the comics, I hate Marvel for whoring out their licenses and characters to everyone, without even caring if the result is gonna be at least decent.

4. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I've been watching this series, its actually pretty decent. The animation and voices are truly bad though...

5. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

I absolutely love this show. It's pretty original yet not unfaithful to the characters. Catchy as hell theme song too.

And JoJo, what the hell are you talking about? The VAs have been pretty good, and the animation is excellent. Nice and fluid. The fight scenes are especially epic. Plus Spider-Man actually gets to hit people(unlike the 90's cartoon).

Hope to God it gets picked up for more seasons.

6. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

The animation isnt bad per se, its just not my favorite style. Its begun to grow on me though as have the VA's.

7. Mechanicalchrist

Oh you mean the art style. Yeah, there are some issues(like the people having doll joints), especially if you're more used to anime-style, but overall I still think the designs are really good.

Probably the most amazing thing about this show, though, is that it actually made me care enough about Gwen Stacy to not want her to die.

8. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

True, in most retelling her character is totally ridiculous, aka Ultimate Gwen.

The main problem I have with the animation is that it seems too robotic and Flash like, just seems cheap.

9. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Oh man, this is one of my favorite shows on tv. Admittedly, I thought the art style was kind of weird at first, but they really make up for it with some kickass choreography--really fluid looking stuff. And the writing is top notch; I actually found myself laughing pretty often. It's worth watching, especially after the debacle of the third movie.

10. Mechanicalchrist

Has anyone else seen the newest episode(210) yet? Holy shit this show just keeps getting better and better. Intertwining sub-plots that have been in the making for several episodes coming together, Hammerhead pulling a 'JUST AS PLANNED' and a fuckawesome fight scene set to opera music. This ep was great.

And this is officially my favorite incarnation of Doc Ock EVER.

11. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Yep. I just want to take a moment to thank the Aussies who are gonna be supplying us with and episode every two days over the next week. Then we have to wait for season 3, if it happens at all. :(

12. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

Sweet Jesus on a Popsicle stick, YES. Every time I hear it, my head automatically starts bobbing along. Whether I want it to or not.

13. Solace

Solace First Year DLP Supporter

On the various comments that I've read so far, I decided to pick up episodes. I actually hadn't heard of this one before I read about it here.

...Is it frightening that I've begun to really like this show?

Opera for fighting? And damn it all to hell, the theme song really is catchy. I had no idea. My brain plays it when I'm walking places. As much as I like it, I have to get it out of my head.

Pretty sure everyone has already found this, but I discovered a YouTuber who has all the eps in his account. I subscribed because I'm like a drug addict. Revisionist or not, the show is at least clever. Unlike the movies.

Don't shoot me for reviving this thread - but I thought such a treasure trove was kind of cool to share with the other people who got me hooked on the damn thing.

14. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

I keep current on all my shows through the QSS forums, including the new Spiderman. :)

15. Solace

Solace First Year DLP Supporter

:D

...It's downloading time.

16. Mechanicalchrist

Unfortunately it will probably be at least a whole year before we get any new episodes, assuming it actually gets picked up for a third season(which it damn well better, but you can never tell when it comes to execs).

Season finale was great. Norman is such a badass.

17. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

:(Damn it! I just finished season 2 and now I find out there is no season 3.

The show rocks!

18. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I apologize for the necro, but considering that the complete first season DVD was recently released in the US (I have dial-up, making downloading the series anywhere impossible), I thought it would be forgivable.

I picked this up in Wal-Mart yesterday. People at /co/ on 4chan said it was all right, and I wanted some good Spider-Man since Jeph Loeb has made Ultimate Marvel go to shit and One More Day has fucked with the mainstream version. And now that I've finished, I've gotta say... damn, I love this show.

The animation is great, really top-notch stuff. Barely any goofs or anything. The character designs kind of took some getting used to, but I never thought they were bad. Except for one brief moment where I thought Tombstone was cross-eyed.

I didn't have a problem with many of the voices, and I really like a few of them. Josh Keaton sounds almost just like how I imagined Spidey talking in Ultimate Spider-Man. And the Green Goblin had the right mix of insanity and menace that I thought Willem Dafoe in the movie lacked. On the other hand, J. Jonah Jameson is loud and grating - and I realize he's supposed to be loud, but whoever voices him just isn't that good at it. They should bring the guy from the movies to do it. Oh, and Crispin Freeman (who also voices Alucard from Hellsing in the English dubs) sounds a little too menacing for Electro sometimes.

But it's the plot that really gets me. Unlike some animated series these days, it's actually compelling, with plot lines and arcs meshing together perfectly--well, when comparing it to other shows in the genre and the past Spider-Man shows. The villain-of-the-week thing leading up to the Sinister Six and mixing it with the symbiote plot was great. Touching on drug addiction with that formula Harry Osborn drank was good too, especially for a show geared to the younger audiences. Needed some nastier withdrawal symptoms, though, in my opinion. I'd think that a super-soldier serum like that would leave you really fucked up, not just shaking a bit - but I guess he was never off the stuff long enough for any of that to take effect. Also, I wish the Green Gobin and Venom arcs lasted a bit longer... I haven't seen any of the second season though.

From what I've seen, series gets a solid 4.5/5.

19. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

My only problem with this show is that for some reason they aired all the episodes of the current season in the uk before even starting in the us, so I'd downloaded and seen them all. Now I got to wait for an obscenely long time for the next season. D:

20. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

You mean like, forever maybe?

Last news I heard was this (stolen from wiki but I think it's accurate): "Producer Greg Weisman has stated that Scorpion and Hobgoblin will debut in Season 3, should it go into production.[4] Whether or not a third season is greenlit will be determined by the the show's ratings on Disney XD in the United States and the success of the sales of the DVD."

Comic-con panel didn't have any promising announcements.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009