1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

N for Norsefire, a V for Vendetta crossover

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Andro, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across a homely-looking document on my harddrive entitled "N for Norsefire". I usually keep only the plot bunnies that are original, and this one qualified, by my standards, and I reread it, and thought it had potential.

I reconstructed the premise, and I have this. A meeting between the Ministers and their muggle counterparts is ambushed by Voldemort and his Death Eaters, resulting in the decapitation of the world's leadership. Voldemort conquers Britain in the ensuing chaos.

Carefully positioned politicians in league with Voldemort succeed leadership, and immediately the Ministry of Belgium launches an attack against the Ministry of Australia with the use of a magical superweapon that utilizes the immortality of Dumbledore's familiar, Fawkes.

Now, the magical governments are not as hardened to these plots as their Muggle counterparts, and so Australia chooses to retaliate. They are on even footing, as the British Ministry secretly supplied both Ministries with the knowledge of how to build the superweapon.

Soon, allies are drawn into the war, and the world shatters. The Muggles, now aware of the existence of the wizards, attempt to intervene, but their militaries are largely annihilated by the wizards with incredible ease. The Ministries destroy each other, and as the world is engulfed in fire, the now ungoverned wizards seize power among the Muggles.

Harry takes the role of V as Voldemort solidifies his dystopian regime, and becomes a freedom fighter.

Basically, I want help with how to incorporate Norse mythology into the story. The gods themselves won't be included, but I will try to finangle the literary equivalents to the Fimbulwinter ("The Great Winter") and the Ragnarok ("Final Battle").

The Power Known Not will be the Norsefire, a flame that Harry can conjure at will that can end the Fimbulwinter and melt its snow away, and which Harry also uses to immolate Voldemort's soul without having to hunt down the Horcruxes.

Only Britain will be free of anarchy, and the rest of the world falls under the control of lawless wizards that are kept away from Britain by Voldemort's power and the fear that he inspires.

Once V kills Voldemort and topples his regime, the rest of the world leaps at the opportunity. At this point, a project is put into action, an undead phoenix powered superweapon, instead of causing fire, encases Britain into ice.

When this winter, or Fimbulwinter, ends, a huge army marches on Britain. Harry organizes his forces at the story's version of Valhall, a great luxurious walled locale that Voldemort kept his purebloods around.

Here, the Ragnarok will happen, in which most of the characters die, and afterwards the world slowly begins to rebuild.

The whole phoenix-superweapon is cheesy, I know, but it's the best that I could think of for a magical superweapon. Any ideas?

I am still commited to To Define Treachery and Serpent of the South, so I will not begin writing this until I have made significant progress in both.

2. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Has potential, well thought out, but I wouldn't read it because you just gave the whole story away.

3. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Instead of using Norse mythology, why not incorporate a rarely used canon plot-device, Fiendfyre? Of course, you might want to overpower it by quite a little, and think up a spell/ritual to cause a crippling winter.

4. Andro

I was actually thinking of the Norsefire as an advanced form of the Fiendfyre. Harry learns the trade of the Spellwright - someone that creates spells -and modifies the Fiendfyre to suit his purposes.

Maybe I was a tad overzealous in posting my idea.

So, how about changing it a bit.

A crossover between Harry Potter, V for Vendetta, and Too Human, the upcoming Norse sci-fi video game for the Xbox360 (looks sweet btw).

Voldemort achieves his lifelong goal, and conquers the Muggles and Wizards wholesale. He has absolute dominance, controlling vast armies that are systematically purging the desperate remnant of the resisitance. Harry is frost-frozen in the bowels of the earth to sleep until Voldemort's reign begins to end as the last of his soldiers fight to the death, to be thawed when Voldemort's reign begins to weaken from rebellion.

Finally, several thousand years into the future, it happens. The world is one vast wasteland after the seas have dried. The ambient magic, over time, fuses the surviving fauna with machinery.

Voldemort and his Death Eaters embrace technology, an act of the ultimate dominance over the Muggles, and their underlings engineer the giants - mechanic behemoths as seen in Too Human. At this point, technology is advanced to such a point that magic no longer adversely affects it.

The Aesir are a group of cybernetic humans that are basically the Gods. Because the purebloods are alligned with Voldemort, the other wizards have no objection to technology either.

A stronghold, Valhalla, is built, and is a bulwark against Voldemort, where non-cybernetic humans fleeing Voldemort take refuge. The Aesir Corps protect it against the machines that infiltrate it and terrorize its citizenry.

Harry is discovered by the Death Eaters, and is imprisoned in Room 5, and the Death Eaters give him a serum, intending to create a super-soldier that will be their equivalent to the Aesir, which they will later administer to the subjugated citizens of their own nation. Harry escapes, and comes across the Guy Fawkes ensemble on Guy Fawkes Day, and dons the persona of V. He comes across a group of refugees fleeing across the wasteland, and becomes their protector, defending them against relentless pursuers before they arrive at Valhalla and prepare for the brewing war to erupt.

Unfortunately, the Too Human plotline is under wraps, so other than the background, which I'm not too sure about, there's little else that I can do if I want to stay true to the storyline - If I want to stay true to the storyline. :D

It could be unbelievably epic. Or not.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  5. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

You do know that multiple crossover fics are often then not epic fail right?

It's not that I doubt your writing ability, because TDT certainly proves you can write well enough. But facts are facts- there has to be a reason why most people don't do them and those that exist are epic failures.

6. Andro

Your words are, unfortunately, true. I thought it seemed semi-plausible, taking elements of V for Vendetta, but ultimately probably is asking for a massive failure of epic proportions. It could still be an achievement in terms, but not one I want to be known for.

I'll excise the V for Vendetta elements entirely, though Norsefire is too cool a name to not be attached to Voldemort's regime.

So, what do you think of the core crossover, with Too Human?

7. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I can't really comment, seeing as I do not know anything about Too Human.

In general though, I suppose it would be cool to see aspects of techno-magic melding. Not so sure if the storyline of the game would actually make such a crossover plausible though.