1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Death Sentence

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Averis, Oct 2, 2007.

?

Harry bangs what?

1. Susan Bones

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. Katie Bell

24 vote(s)
    55.8%
  3. Hannah Abbott

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. Alicia Spinnet

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Other

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    For my first sincere attempt at a serious novel length story, I have decided to write a thriller of sorts; a challenge that a proposed for others that recieved somewhat stellar reviews but no takers. The challenge can be seen here:

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=6905

I have also decided to change the backstory enough that it fits my Harry's personality (along with those around him). The biggest and most important change deals with the final book in the series: the Deathly Hallows do not exist, thus Harry defeated Voldemort without trickery and on his own merit. He distanced himself, to an extent, from Ron and Hermione, and went another, wiser route through Alastor Moody and his contingent of Aurors.

Throughout my story, words of wisdom from the late Auror (whom most people seem to like) will come to play. Harry, along with Moody as a partner and mentor of sorts, found the various Horcruxes (with less pissing in the wind and more concise strategy) and destroyed them. When the Battle of Hogwarts took place (a number of years after canon's battle), Voldemort, alongside Lucius and Bellatrix, fought both Alastor and Harry. Harry was the only one that made it out alive (I might write this as a one shot later on to give you a picture of what happened).

However, with all ambitious attempts at writing, the author has problems. Mostly, these have less to do with actual writing style, and more with the content. If anyone has a good reference to what the Auror (and Ministry) system should be like, that would be helpful.

Also, I have been stuck determining which character to use as Harry's wife. I looked over Hannah Abbott, as well as Susan Bones, but I found that canon pictures of the two (despite the fact that they are young) are less than satisfactory, to say the least. Katie Bell or Alicia Spinnet both fit the part. I enjoy Luna's character, but for this situation, I think she's out.

Any suggestions? Please, cover the women and I would appreciate it if anyone would give their thoughts on the Auror, Unspeakable, Ministry systems.

Subserviently yours,

Averis

2. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I'd go with Katie Bell. To be honest, the four girls you listed would be all viable, seeing as we hardly know much about their characters and personalities in canon, so as an author, you would hardly be facing any limitations when characterizing the chosen girl. It's like presenting you with a blank slate, which is probably why you limited your selections to them.

However, I'd say Katie and Alicia would naturally have formed a better rapport with Harry on grounds on their Quidditch team bond. Alicia is 2 years older than Harry, and graduated when he's in his 6th year, while Katie is only a year older. Now, considering Katie is the subject of an (albeit mis-targeted) attempted assassination by Malfoy, and that Harry technically saved her, I'd say it would be easier and more realistic to write a backstory on them hooking up, say, between Harry's 6th and 7th year.

As for Moody and the Aurors teaming up with Harry, I don't think that's such a good idea. Moody alone perhaps, but given the poor relations between Harry and the Ministry, and that as far as we know, Shacklebolt and Tonks are the only 2 Aurors in the Order, I'd highly doubt the Auror Department will give Harry much support. A veteran ex-Auror he might be, but still an ex-Auror. I'd doubt Moody has that much clout amongst his ex-colleagues and Shacklebolt isn't that influential too, if you take into consideration the real powers in the DMLE: Gawain Robards and Pius Thicknesse. Of course, this is all assuming you are not cutting these characters out and radically changing the power structure of the Ministry.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  3. Averis

High Score:
    When I mentioned Alastor Moody and his contingent of Aurors, I meant the ones that he had the closest relationships with, ala Kingsley Shacklebolt and Nymphadora Tonks, although surely there would be someone else that felt they owed Moody enough to at least teach Harry something. Mostly what I meant was that Harry didn't run off with his buddies and just try to get lucky; instead, he asked for help from someone he believed could help him without trying to take control of his life. Alastor seems the type that would encourage him to be the best he can be, rather than protecting him at every turn and letting him waddle his way through. I just don't support the canon view that Harry can do it all by himself and just trick Voldemort without picking up a book or learning a spell in the span of a year.

Shit is whack.

Also, I like your backstory for a Katie and Harry relationship, but in my timeline I will emphasis the fact that Harry is not seventeen when he defeats Voldemort, rather, he's in his mid-twenties at the time of Voldemort's downfall and thus, in his early thirties when my story takes place. Maybe the first seeds of friendship are sown when Katie is nearly killed, and years later it becomes something more.

I'll probably let this poll go for a day or two, and see what the rest of you think, even though Katie is getting the overwhelming nod thus far. Also, I'd still like to see what y'all have to say about the Auror department.

4. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

I have a few thoughts on how the Aurors, Unspeakables, and Ministry system work, so bear with me.

Aurors: The Auror department is the police force the wizarding world. Divided into sections that 'walk the beat' in the various wizarding areas, they generally keep the peace and deal with various crimes like robbery and petty theft. Special sections are dedicated to capital crimes, like rape, murder, dark magic use, kidnapping, and etcetera. Auror squads are made up for 4 Aurors, under the direction of a Senior Auror. Auror Captains have 3 squads that answer to them. Auror Captains report to the Head of the DMLE.

The Unspeakables are much more subversive. Made up of researchers, scientists, and professional Hit Wizards, the Unspeakables are the 'Black Ops' of the magical world. Aside from researching various 'Top Secret' aspects of magic, like the Killing Curse, the Veil, and so forth, they are also personal bodyguards to high ranking ministry officials, and are called upon to deal with hostile situations that the Aurors are not equipped to deal with, like hostage situations, revolts, mass killings, and exceedingly powerful Dark wizards.

The Ministry- The Ministry is divided into several departments, like the DMLE, the Unspeakables, Liaisons, and etcetera. They all fall under the power of the Department Head. Each department head answers to the Deputy Minister for Magic, who then reports to the Minster for Magic.

Wizard politics are much like their muggle counterparts. There are several political parties which campaign trying to secure the popular vote. The winning party leader is named Minister for Magic, while the members to his party who were also elected become members of the Wizengamot. Both the Minister for Magic and Wizengamot members serve a term of 7 years, with the option of being reelected twice for a total term limit of 21 years.

No Confidence votes may be held by public demand.

High Inquisitors are appointed Ministry officers. When issues of public importance are not able to be solved by a vote in the Wizengamot, the Minister may appointed a High Inquisitor to investigate and compile a report on the subject, which would be then taken under consideration for the next vote in the Wizengamot.

This is my interpretation of the wizarding government, although I may have missed a few things. I'm not a big fan of the 'House of Lords' style Wizengamot that seems to be everywhere in Fanfiction today. I think this makes much more sense.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  5. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Aurors being the wizarding police? Why is it that fandom always seem to think this way? For regular petty crimes and stuff, the DMLE has regular Law Enforcement patrols (yes, this is canon) who are probably the Wizarding equivalent of bobbies.

I'd surmise they might (especially during the First war) use squads of Hitwizards to give these guys and the Aurors an extra helping hand.

Next, the Aurors are the elite. Let's get this straight once and for all- they are the cream of the crop, or are supposed to be anyway. Look at the stringent entry requirements- According to McGonagall in OOTP, nobody had been accepted for the last few years or something. That says a lot. I'd say they are the equivalent of your SAS/Navy SEALS, specially trained to deal with the dark wizards and toughest of criminals.

As far as we know, the Unspeakables are probably like scientists and researchers, cooped up in their DoM researching/experimenting with stuff. I hate to burst fandom's bubble, but just because they are mysterious, enigmatic folks who are not permitted to reveal what they are doing doesn't mean they are highly trained elite combative wizards. Think a top-secret governmental research lab. That's probably what the DoM is based on. For combative purposes we have the Aurors.

Of course, the supremacy of the Aurors as the ultimate enforcers can be called into question given that Ron fucking Weasley not only managed to join the department, but apparently revolutionized (made them shit, JKR prolly means) it together with Harry. The moron isn't even good enough magically and cerebrally to be a Law Enforcement patrol, much less an Auror. But I don't consider JKR's post-series interviews as canon, so my point still stands, I guess.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I saw this and thought it was a politics thread :(

Oh well, went with Susan. More cushion for the pushin'

7. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    You're not the only one o_O

8. malaga

malaga Auror

Completely off topic here, but I searched images for Susan Bones, and I'm scared by how much she looks like young Neville!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scary...

I'd go for Hannah. She may be kind of sickly looking in cannon, but cannon can be put in a cupboard and ignored.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  9. Averis

High Score:
    ROFL, repped for that.

I agree with you completely Lucullus; the part of Ron in my story will be near non-existent, and he is NOT a revolutionary in any sense of the word. Also, I like the thought of having regular patrol men and then have Aurors do the dirty, glory-worthy work.

Also, it seems Katie ran away with it. Sorry Susan and Hannah.

Thanks for the votes and advice, all. However, any more suggestions will be taken into consideration, and are appreciated.

-- Averis