1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Random thought on werewolves

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Aekiel, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In canon it says that animals can't become werewolves, that only humans can, thus why James/Sirius/Peter became animagi to help out Remus during the full moon. What I was wondering was if half-humans could become werewolves... Or a mix of the two?

Take Hagrid for example, he's half-giant, he's got the strength, the height and the magical resistance of the larger creatures and the mannerisms of a normal human. What if he was bitten by a werewolf? Would it be resisted by the giant blood or would the human part of him be affected? He couldn't become a full werewolf, obviously, but a partial infection could occur, like what happened to Bill... only worse.

Or even veela, what if Fleur was the one who was attacked by Fenrir. Would the avian blood protect her? Burn away the venom of the wolf? Or would she become something more, since she's only quarter-veela. I don't know about you but the thought of a fireball-shooting werewolf with wings sounds pretty damn strange to me, and not just a bit overpowered :p.

I don't believe centaurs could become werewolves, because they're more horse than human and I sincerely hope there haven't been any centaur/human hybrids. Maybe it's possible, but with all the werewolves that have surely been in the Forbidden Forest one must have been bitten at some point.

That's about all I need to pose for now, think about it. See what you come up with.

Aek

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Canon doesn't address it and logic can be bent either way, so I'd say it's up to the author of the particular fic to decide.

3. malaga

malaga Auror

I'd say, it depends how human you are.

Fleur: Yes, she's only a quarter veela, and I don't think (not sure on this) she can do the whole avian-fireball thing, all she has are the looks.

In fact, if she and Bill got a little too frisky, could happen.

Hagrid: No. He's half giant, with everything that entiles (strength, size, not too bright). That means he's just as much giant as human, and it just wouldn't work.

If it could, I don't think he would be able to wander the Forbidden Forest when the full moon is out, which is what I always thought was D's ulterior motive in getting him the job, so he could always be around.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Quoted for truth.
    You mean quarter-veela, right? It's possible that it may affect her, because she has so little veela-blood in her. Definitely possible.

5. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Hmn, there's a great way to win over the werewolves for the Order. Infect Fleur with lycanthropy and sent her as an envoy during the week of the full moon.

I just get this image of a blonde-furred, very statuesque werewolf leading a bunch of drooling male werewolves through the forest like puppies.

6. malaga

malaga Auror

That reminds me of Angua (As written by Terry Pratchett).

The idea could bring a lot of beastiality fics to aff...

7. Aekiel

High Score:

So lets try and keep it under wraps then :D.

Another random though for LotR crossovers... hobbit werewolves...

Yeah, anyway, so it would depend on the amount of magical creature blood in you for you to have any effect (except possible death) from a werewolf bite. Then again, could you really call giants 'animals' (in a physical sense) because they have so many human characteristics. Chances are giants evolved from humans, or were mutated by magic to resemble trolls more than humans.

Hmm... I'm not in the best thinking mood right now (hungover :p) but I'll give it more thought later :D.

Aek

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, in DH it was mentioned that Hagrid would be immune to the Polyjuice potion because of his giant blood, so I'm guessing he wouldn't be effected by a werewolf.

9. Aekiel

High Score:
    What's the chances he could win a 1 on 1 fight with a werewolf? They've both got super human/wolf strength but the wolf is faster and has insanely sharp teeth. On the other hand Hagrid has a punch that could break stone and the constitution of a fortress. A good fight to see, if they were real :p...

Aek

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah. Hagrid would probably have more staying power. He wouldn't have to move all that much, the werewolf would come to him. If he was able to get it in a headlock or something, I'd say it'd be goodnight werewolf.

Otherwise, the werewolf would have to spend quite awhile ripping at Hagrid to take the big fella down. Didn't the giants beat him up and he only had some bruises and cuts? He's pretty solid, that man.

11. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Just think how powerful Hagrid would have been if he had been skilled at magic as well as being a giant.

With his physical strength and resistance to magic he could have been one of the most powerful wizards in the world. I see an opening for an alternate universe where Hagrid is Headmaster of Hogwarts after Dumbledore is killed.

12. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I wonder if his giant-blood affected his magic in any way? All we know is that he was just a normal student who got expelled because of Tom Riddle. He seemed to do alright magic, even with his broken-wand-turned-umbrella.

13. Eaglette

Eaglette Second Year

Ah, but you have to take his intelligence into account.

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    The words skilled at magic imply intelligence.

15. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

But would that not be the same as implying that Muggles have not one ounce of grey matter?

16. Meri

Meri First Year

Or they may died. Some kind of allergic reaction, or a sickness of a different kind. Like maybe a Fleur who transforms in an avian creature at the full moon?

17. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

How about Hagrid in More Equal Than You Know, where magic is soooo uber-powerful that even the groundskeeper is reattaching severed limbs with a wave of his wand? I don't mind obscure magic being powerful, magic that not everyone is capable of and even if you are capable, you have to find it and learn it first but man... The whole 'wizards are superior to poor, pathetic, primitive, filthy muggles in every conceivable way' attitude in that fic turns me off a bit. I like the story but that aspect of it rankles a little. Anyway... enough of that tangent.

Did JKR ever really describe what her brand of werewolves look like? If she did, I don't recall. I know what Lupin looked like in the movie version of PoA but how close was that to JKR's intentions?
    Are they just monstrously large and powerful wolves or are they humanoids that stand upright on a pair of digitigrade legs and possess working hands? I've seen them described either way, depending on which fanfic you're reading. Some go the canon route by simply avoiding describing them.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  18. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Oh gods! Genius...

AU: Hagrid is, instead of losing his wand, befriended by Tom Riddle. With his strength, resistance, and skill in magic... plus his inferior intelligence (Oh you poor half-Giant! Not accepted in the world of humans... not accepted in the world of giants... I pity you so!) and you've got the perfect loyal death eater juggernaut.

I am so using this.

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Not really.

Just because intelligence is needed for skill at magic, the reverse is not instantly true.

Intelligence is necessary for skill at magic, but skill at magic is not necessary for intelligence.

20. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

It depends on your definition of "skill at magic". If you mean basic magical prowess, then I fail to see how intelligence has any part to play in this. If one is a magically powerful wizard, he is magically powerful regardless of whether he is smart/cunning like Dumbledore or has shit for brains like Malfoy/Ron/Crabbe/Goyle.

However, if you mean the wizard's ability to make the most out of his magic, then yes, I agree with you.