1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Has this been done at all?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Oct 10, 2007.

1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I know of the rule about "searching for fics" threads, but this thread it's not exactly that, but more of a whole genre.

Lately, I've been reading some interesting articles about political activists, mercenaries and terrorists for hire, usually ex-secret agents who got kicked out of the service after the cold war or other conflicts. This articles usually relate them to mafias, governments, secret agencies or big corporations, stating that they do the dirty work for them. Some of those guys have made their own legend, like the "Jackal", or the famous "Carlos".

The thing is, I found that shit very interesting and it got me intrigued and as of now it has become an "obsession" of sorts, so I started looking for books on those kind of themes (every genre and point of view) but until now, I didn't think of fanfiction.

¿Has this genre been exploited at all in Harry Potter fanfiction? And I mean it in a non "super powered Harry overthrowing minister" kind of way. I mean all the political intrigue and the conspiracy, the plots, all the planning of a revolution, of a coup, the following of the trails guiding to a terrorist, killer or merc, the puppeteers behind all the factions... All that on the wizarding world. Has this ever been done (and in a more adult focus) at all? If it has, has it been done well?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

I really haven't seen anything that really did it well. The intrigues of a revolution are of interest to me as well, and I'd welcome a good story with this in mind.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's really hard to find a decent revolution fic where Harry doesn't just rely on uber!magic powers to pwn everyone. Taking over by force is one thing, but it can't compare to the mystique of a good conspiracy.

The initial plans, the spies, the conversions, the political manoeuvring and backstabbing. It's a genre I'm very fond of but the only fic I can think of off the top of my head that deals with this sort of thing is Dakaath: Prince of Darkness, and that's more about Harry becoming a demon than actual politics. Still a good fic, if Sera ever gets round to finishing it >_>.

Aekiel

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No, there's not.

Some of what you're looking for is in Charlie -dashdot- Blue's "Malignant Objects," but it is far from the cold, gritty, spy thriller that you're looking for. That kind of writing requires real skill to pull off (somewhat lacking in the fanfic community), and is probably better suited to a novel form than a chaptered release (not common in fanfic since the dominance of ff.net).

Malignant Objects does have political factions vying for dominance, spies, assassins, kidnapping, a military and political coup in the making, backstabbing, political gamesmanship, and Harry Potter unwillingly caught up in the middle of it in a sink or swim situation. It is written with considerable skill.

Despite all of this, it isn't in the spy thriller genre that you're looking for. The author has constructed an entertaining, highly stylised tale based around glorifying a sexually depraved, incredibly hedonistic, amoral, and murderous Harry Potter. Magic is heavily used in unconventional, non-canon ways, and is often employed by the author to reinforce the slick, glossy, movie style reality in which the story unfolds.

Not intrigue heavy at all, but perhaps enough to distract you from your search for a moment.

Good luck with finding one that fits.

Yak.

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

The only ones I can think of are stories where Harry is drafted into a secret division of the Ministry. I remember one where Harry was asked to join this international agency by Mad-Eye Moody.

That's about as close as it's gotten, I believe, with the exception of the already mentioned 'Malignant Objects', a story I didn't quite like for whatever reason. I haven't seen any where Harry goes rouge after the collapse of, lets say, the Department of Mysteries, or starts his own little thing.

It would be an interesting read.

There have been heaps of political stories, however, where Harry uses his families seat on whatever council the author creates. Most use Wizengamot, though.

Normally, the stories die out pretty quickly, since the author gets bored or it's too much work. 'The Minister' by AK-47 is one of the newer ones, but it only has two chapters thus far. It's looking good, though.

Not sure if the story may develop into what you're looking for.

So yeah, most political stories just focus of Harry fighting Voldemort with force while screwing the Ministry/Dumbledore over with politics.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  6. jts360

jts360 Second Year

Yeah just the stories that focus mostly on politics, which there are enough of they are more than a bit cliche. I am entirely turned off them at this point.

While there is no doubt fans out there that would like to read a story that has a good balance of gritty mystery, crime, intrigue and drama, it would take a significantly skilled author and there are not all that many, those that are might not be interested in investing such effort and time into said stories.

Even so such stories are likely to skimp on the magic, marginalizing it to the background. Anyways it would be far from an easy thing to write.

7. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Hm...Maybe "Mastermind Hunting"?