1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Kick ass Neville story recommandations

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Oberon, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Oberon

Oberon First Year

Is there any worthy Kickass!Neville stories out there that you like?

It's been months after DH and I'm still waiting for such a story to surface. Do I have to write it myself?

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I haven't read any. It's not because I avoid them, mainly it has to do with the writer's mindset.

Most writers wouldn't consider a story in which a character named Neville, whose surname is Longbottom, would be a major character, much less a kickass!one.

If you do like reading about someone named Longbottom, then I would recommend Black Ascension by Omni potens

3. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

There aren't many Kickass! Neville fics out there. The only one that comes close to Neville being a kickass is Jbern's To Fight The Coming Darkness. He certainly acquires his revenge from the Death Eaters in it.

Other than that none really come to mind. I'm guessing you are going to have write it yourself sir.

Homer

4. malaga

malaga Auror

I've read a couple, but they all seem to be the Trio (plus Neville because who else could be Hufflepuff?) Are The Founders! This, in general, means they are in fact crap.

5. Oberon

Oberon First Year

As much as I like reading a kickass story about Harry Potter... it sounds like i'm reading a story about a guy constantly being potty trained. Which in reality isn't that much removed from canon. IE having to do with crap

6. Andro

Ah... but then it becomes a matter of why Neville? Anyway, To Fight the Coming Darkness is probably the best in terms of a sadistic, active Neville. However, whether you expect for Neville to die or not might affect how much you enjoy reading it... Jbern's story has much better aspects to it.

7. Oberon

Oberon First Year

I don't want psycho!Neville or super!Neville. If I'm going to write one it's going be simular to the way he was depected in book7. You know, John McClane!Neville only apply to earlier events.

8. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

You may very well have to write one yourself. The problem with a kickass Neville is that he is usually found in the shadow of supertrainerHarry, such as in Nightmares of Future Past and Ann F's one story about him and Harry training extensively in the Room of Requirement (it wasn't a bad read, but the training in the RoR went on for much too long).

Neville as the BWL stories always focus on how badly he is fitting into the BWL role.

If you do write one, you could try going with an alternate timeline. Say his dad lives, but not his mom. How would Neville grow up with the influence of his (bitter?) father? Maybe Augusta was killed along with Frank and Alice and Neville was taken in by Mad-Eye Moody or Kingsley? Give us a reason to believe why he would be a kick ass wizard.

Good luck if you do write one.

Jim

9. Oberon

Oberon First Year

I was thinking the opposite direction actually. Augusta gets killed somewhere along the way and Neville is send to the wizarding world equivalent of the Orphanarium. (Cookie if you get the reference) As time goes on he gets bitter and start doing reckless things. Like driving a broom through Quiell in the first book. Basically turn Neville into John McClane
    Now all I need is a good soundbite.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

...Kickass!Neville? I guess it isn't so unbelievable after DH since he grew a backbone, though most think that was bullshit too.

Hm. I can't say I've read any. Sorry.

Also, moving thread.

11. Oberon

Oberon First Year

Wait a minute, I thought most agree that was the only good thing about DH.

12. Andro

Did I hear that right?

Maybe you're under the impression that other people give a damn about a character named Neville Longbottom? Even if JKR did create opportunities for fanfiction by giving Neville a backbone, people aren't necessarily going to take them.

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Lol? No.

I don't think so.

14. Andro

I have to admit, I haven't seen anyone with this amount of respect for Neville. Whether that's a good thing or not is debatable.

15. Oberon

Oberon First Year

the guy ran a resistance cell in Hogwarts while Harry and gang was basically running around like chickens with their heads lopped off. Then he chopped off Negini's head while his own head was on fire. That's hardcore.

16. Andro

I'm probably not the best person to debate the issue because I will completely ignore characters if their names don't sound good. Fetish, quirk, call it what you will.

I do agree that it's hardcore though.

17. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

No, that's unbelievable. And we don't give a shit about Neville. Personally, instead of finally giving Neville some backbone after six years of making him out to be a talentless yob (barring the DoM incident where he was brave, but still ultimately useless), I'd rather she she write Harry to be something other than the slightly above average wuss of a wizard that he is, especially considering he is supposed to be the main character of the entire series.

18. Andro

Actually, some person could say that this was intentional on JKR's part, and that she made some uber!subtle statement with Neville being the other candidate of the prophecy.

The thing is, me-no-give-a-shit.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  19. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yup. So did Harry, though his resistance was more geared towards learning than just causing trouble for the corrupt staff.
    That was pretty cool. I'll give him that.

20. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Ran a resistance cell? What good did he achieve? He is just getting the students hurt without any success in their "resistance". Like Syao said, did he teach them anything? Did he prevent Luna from being taken away?

What he is doing is not running a resistance cell. He is merely running a shelter for students who, in large part, had through their actions/behaviour annoyed some petty Death Eaters and thus needed to hide in order to escape punishment/torture/incarceration.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007