1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A author who hates FF

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tobang, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Tobang

Tobang Fourth Year

I found this little rant of a published author named Robin Hobb’s who hates FF. (Her stories are prity good but iv lost all my respect for the girl now.)
    http://www.robinhobb.com/rant.html
    What do you all think? Personally it makes my blood boil. Who the hell does this girl think she is, Jesus? What makes her think that the world revolves around her and her story. The way the girl wrote the rant made it sound like all the Fanfiction authors out there who take her world and change it are on some personal vindictive quest to insult her and her work. The reason why I read FF is because I want to keep myself interested in a story. If it wasn’t for FF I wouldn’t be nearly as into Harry Potter as I am right now, hell id barely care about it at all besides the fact that it’s just another good series of stories out of hundreds of good ones. And even if this girl does feel insulted when people make FF of his world she should realize that in the real world adults have to deal with these kind of feelings and get over them.

2. DarkPhoenix2500

DarkPhoenix2500 Second Year

@_@ I went to his like second point...and just stopped reading @_@ that man has serious issues he needs to work out....especially for comparing fanfictin to identity theft @_@ wtf?

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Enh. I'll jump right into Godwin's territory and maintain that Nazi's are welcome to their opinions. If this author doesn't want anyone to write fanfiction based in his universe, I think it is his right, given it's his creation. Of course he can only stop them from publishing or publicly sharing any fanfics based on that. He can't stop what they think or do.

And to lambast other authors, like JKR who do allow fanfiction from their stories, is thankfully an opinion that only closed-minded overprotective assholes share. I do believe if he wishes to be an overprotective asshole he has every right to be. But I could care less about him or his stories. I know my interest in Harry Potter is as high and avid as it is, because of fanfiction. There's years in between books, and there will be an end to her series. Fanfic fills the gaps.

If he wants to censure interest, discussion, or any sort of public forum for the crapfests he gets published, let him. It won't make his books any better, and won't gain him any fans. Which fanfiction very well could.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I was always wondering who are these authors who forbid FF.net to post fanfiction of their works (there is a warning about them every time you post a story).

Now I know.

This bitch obviously has too high oppinion of herself and her work. Like she did everything so perfect in her stories, whatever they are, that altering them is like changing the Bible or something. What a stuck up self-important fucking hag.

I see what the real deal is there. This is nothing but a case of petty envy of HP and other popular fandoms. I bet she can't stand the thought of all those millions of people who would rather read HP fanfiction than hers oh so artistic works. Not to mention read for free, instead pay to her. I somehow see another Napster vs Metallica coming here...

EDIT: Ok, ok, it's a bitch, not a bastard...

5. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

He's rather self-absorbed isn't he?

I've never even heard of his series. The book titles are unoriginal and I bet they're full of cliches.

"Assassins Quest" ROFL

'nuff said.

6. nonjon

A big part of it is also fear of others doing better.

I mean there wouldn't be near as much dissent for say Half Blood Prince, were it not for fanfic giving us ideas on directions or choices we would have preferred to see.

And how can someone like that Robin Dobbs girl compare with a free fanfic version of the next book with half of the ideas she wanted to use in hers? I mean if she writes a series and leaves too many clues for the least common denominator reading to pick up on, then she'd see these "incapable wannabe writers" using the same things, themes, and styles she was going to.

This isn't like Napster vs. Metallica. This would be more like Metallica forbiddinng anyone from doing covers of them live. Obviously copyright won't allow them to release recordings of covers, but to just completely alienate any hope for potential fans and trusting in their own ability to be enough to keep them going. And for what it's worth, I've heard of Metallica (though Master of Puppets was the last album of theirs I ever paid for). They're a bit bigger in the music industry I think than this author is in the literary industry.

7. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Id agree.... except... He.. is a SHE..... either way after reading that I dun intend to read her crap >_>

8. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

After googling the lil twat, I've come to a few realizations.

A- who the hell is Robin Hobb?

B- why do her book names sound so IQ loweringly retarded

C- The lesbian is just mad there's not enough femslash (seriously look at the bitch jesus, if she doesn't eat more carpet then.. um n/m you get the point)

Maybe I'd care about her opinion if she was actually a writer someone... somewhere had ever heard of, but I personally think she's just jealous no one has 1,000's of fanfics off her pathetic sounding trash! It's always fun when ppl no one cares about are the first to rant and bitch. (Remember to thank that whiny Metallica bastard for helping get Napster shut down kids)

9. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I love the 4th point about the work being associated with fanfic.

WHAT!! ROBIN HOBB DID NOT write this!!! MY god I thought Every Fanfic was WRITTEN by the ACTUAL AUTHOR!!!

Also, I don't think ANYONE who reads/writes fanfic HASN'T read the source material. It would be like trying to navigate a plane blind.

I love the argument about it being "Intentionally nebulous."

I'm sorry, Robin. I thought your vagueness and contradictions were plotholes. Now I realize that you are CHOOSING to be a shitty writer. My apologies and sympathy. (ANd the implication that your work is on par with the Mona Lisa? Wow. you are REALLY an arrogant bitch, aren't you. Well, at least you go ALL the way. I mean you only took arguably the MOST prestigious painting IN HISTORY to compare yourself to!!!)

Regarding copyright

See Hustler V. Falwell

These characters are in the realm of Public Domain and by Publishing your work you hold them up to be fodder. THis is a legitimate arguement.
    ANd Robin, since you haven't gotten around to taking this case to the Supreme Court we don't know the legality of it.

And when did you're work become beyond Criticism? Peter Jackson tried to make King Kong as a kid, should he be prosecuted?

Robin: PETER!!! PUt down that camera!! Put it down RIGHT NOW!!!
    Peter: What?
    RObin: Do you realize you are violating copyright?
    Peter: But I want to be a filmmaker. I just want to-
    RObin: Too bad! (Grabs camera and smashes it)

ANd all you burgeoning writers out there, creating a GOOD original plot, dynamic character interaction, descriptions, dialogue, and story arc; THESE APPARENTLY DO NOT HELP YOU WRITE BETTER.

It may seem that way, but according to Robin, it isn't. So we should all take her words to heart WITHOUT questioning her or challenging her and IMMEDIATELY stop reading/writing fanfiction.

Robin you are the Arrogant Bitch of the Year. You were a darkhorse, and I didn't think you'd win considering your campaign came so close to New Year's, but you did it. :Stands up and Applauds:

Thanks for the advise Robin, but why don't you take your head OUT of your ass, put a gun to it, and blow your FUCKING brains out. Its not like you would be stupider.

10. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

What a stuck-up ignorant self-centered bitch. Just because the fans who like her story express their appreciation of her work, and happen to see through her obviously none-too-subtle foreshadowing and use her future ideas she decides it's identity theft. I'm certainly glad JKR is far more open minded...her fans would riot of she tried to disallow it anyways. I also have to agree with nonjon, without fanfiction my interest in Harry Potter would slowly die then briefly be reawoken with the release of the next book.

11. nonjon

I was peeking around her site a bit.

She's married to a fisherman, has three kids, is in or near fifties-ish.

And unabashedly a cranky bitch.

There's little more to say other than that I have wasted too much time on another average at best fantasy writer I don't want to read.

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Well, at least she married wisely. The poor bastard probably can't tell that she doesn't bathe and that her pussy stinks like ROTTEN TUNA! :D :wink:

13. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That got me cackling...

... Thus, the young Peter decided to become a farmer... and never grew up to a filmmaker we know and... err... know today...

And without Lord of the Rings triology to apiese the masses, there were riots, murders, burned down cinemas... madness has taken over the world, before it finally succumbed to everlasting darkness... Of course, it was all carefully designed plan of Robin Hobb, who had siezed the chance and declared herself the queen of East Californian Kingdom... :))

You know, I've been thinking. We should all insert an OC Robin Hobb as a passing character inside our stories... I bet that would piss her off.

14. Tobang

Tobang Fourth Year

character attack

Talk about character attack, you guy have just looked at one rant by the author and briefly scrolled threw her webpage and yet right now you are taking her good name and ripping it to pieces throwing those pieces into the toilet then taking a shit on them. The assumptions you guys are making are horrible and cruel and yet you are all agreeing to them like mouths attracted to a flame. And now you have transferred your hate for her onto her significant others, friends and family only for the fact that they know and care about her. All this because she has one *sniffs* opinion against you guys *wipes eyes furiously* It brings tears to me eyes :cry: you guys are great *sobs* so beautiful.

15. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

wow, i was just thinkin that.

16. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I agree, and I'll make her some kind of hag in Knockturn Alley. And on an entirely unrelated note, I like your avatar zUzaque, Firefly rocks. =)

17. Silke

Silke Second Year

Harass her how much you want, but don't bring up her books. :twisted:
    The titles may not be the best but they still rock..

IT HAS ASSASINS! FRIGGING ASSASINS!
    NOONE CAN MAKE SOMETHING WRONG WITH ASSASINS...

note: stained-future doesn't count.

18. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

Wooo! Robin Hobb, legendary writer who influenced the fucking drivel we have all come to love stained-future for. An inspiration if ever there was one.

I'm going to buy her books! well I would if I'd ever fucking heard of the sweaty bitch.

EDIT: Because I'd never heard of the bitch and thus spelt her name wrong.

19. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

meh, either sex works.

20. Junky

Junky Squib DLP Supporter

I have no doubt that she may be a bitch who is insecure about her own works and therefore tries to stop fans from writing based on her works ...

But I agree with one point.
    This, I cannot dispute with. I am quite sure that the enormous backlash against Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is mostly because of fanfiction and our expectations for the next book.

Please do not flame me for the following lines. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you do not agree with it, it does not apply to you.

If you had never read a Manipulative!Dumbledore fic before reading HBP, majority of you would likely not have had problems with Harry's casual ignorance of Dumbledore's mistakes at all.

If you had never read fanfiction with Ginny as a slut, you would probably not have thought of Ginny as you do currently. Of course, you might have had an inkling, but it would not have been so severe as it is when someone (the fanfiction writer) agrees with your opinion.

There is no canon precedent to Ginny being a whore. She was 14, and had one boyfriend for the majority of the book and after whe got dumped, got another one. There is nothing wrong with that unless you count her quick get-over phase which is likely because she fancies Harry.

I am NOT in any way supporting Ginny's character or empathising with her feelings or actions. Nor am I telling you to change your feelings about her. It is my opinion.

I must say that my opinions of Ron and Hermione were drastically changed by fanfiction. I started reading HP FanFiction in 2003 just before the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was published. There were a lot of stories at that time in which Ron was portrayed as a jealous prat who was just sticking by Harry to gain fame. Whether this is true or not is your opinion, but I will admit that my thoughts towards Ron were irrevocably changed for the worse under its influence which only became worse with new fiction being published post-OotP.

After the release of 'Phoenix', there were also a lot of fanfiction which portrayed Ron and Hermione as spies for the Order, who kept watch on Harry and reported his every move. There is no evidence for this in canon, but as I read, I started believing that Hermione and Ron were despicable people. I was skeptical at first at the possibility of Dumbledore being a manipulative bastard who's sole goal in life was to torment Harry to create a suitable respectful weapon. I must say it grew on me.

Did you know that '!' is also used in some programming languages as 'not equal to'? It was first used to portray an OOC experience for a certain character but its meaning was slowly lost over time as writers just took it to be the setting, and this was apparent to me when I started seeing 'canon!Harry' in story summaries.

My opinion on Ginny is quite neutral as she is more-or-less ignored in fanfiction if not paired with Harry. My opinion on Ron and Hermione however, is skewed beyond measure and I just ... detest them. I also have a negative opion of Dumbledore, Molly Weasley and, to a lesser extent, the Order. Likewise, my opinions of Snape have turned for the better i.e. I can tolerate a redeemed Snape though I loathe him with a passion.

I am sure you have all seen an influx of prat/abusive/powerhungry!James which I feel is all due to fanfiction. Can you honestly tell me that you would not act like James when in the presence of your crush and have something to act proud about? James was an excellent quidditch player, as said by Wood himself. He was young, rich, popular, and had nothing to worry about. Why shouldn't he act like a show-off? Why shouldn't he hex Snape because they had a rivalry? Canon portays Snape as an evil bastard who kept trying to get the Marauders in trouble. He had tried to get Remus Lupin expelled numerous times, so Joanne says. If tha were true, why is Snape always portayed as the good guy and why is it hard to accept a nice James? The answer is fanfiction.

There is no way to go back to the way you were before you read any fanfiction, so you may or may not accept what I have written above. It is your choice. I am neutral on most points when on the subject of fanfiction. This Robin Hobb author may be an absolute loser and her books may be worth naught. However, a good point should always be acknowledged.

What I am trying to say is that whatever your opinion of fanfiction may be, keep your opinion of the author to yourself if it is derogatory. If there was no original story, there would be no fanfiction. Remember that if the original story was perfect, there would be no fanfiction. Fanfiction thrives on the different take on the world, and its characters that the writer portays. Isn't that the reason why you enjoy AU fanfiction so much? If every writer thought the same way about how the story should proceed, there would be no variety.

Harry Potter is mainly a Hero-journey genre story. It is in many ways similar to Luke Skywalker's defeat of Darth Vader and the Emperor from when he was a young teen who had no knowledge of the Force. There is no chance of Time-travel, Azkaban, etc., coming into the story nor Merlin suddenly coming back to life and apprenticing Harry. Yet, we enjoy these abstract pieces.

The point is, to avoid slandering (or libelling in this case) the author because of your own opinion which is based on influence from outside sources.

Peace.