1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New super weapon?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Evan Tide, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Not sure if this is right place to post.

Yesterday, as I was flipping through HP #7, I came across the talk Hermione and Harry have with Phineaus Niggaleaus (Sp?). Phineaus states that goblin metal only absorbs things that make it stronger. Based on this, couldn't the sword of Gryffindor be turned into some sort of super weapon if it absorbed enough things?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  2. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Don't see why not. Mind you, if it's now as deadly as Basilisk venom a scratch will kill you, so as far as swords go, I'd say that's as good as it gets.

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I would think it best if it gradually gets stronger, during the course of the story this is idea is incorporated into. It would be bordering on Super!Harry (presumably, Harry wields it), but that might be hard considering that it probably gained a lot of power during its tenure as Gryffindor's sword.

4. Methene

Methene Auror

However, since as enchantments, wards etc weaken over time, I think that whatever power the sword absorbed during the times Gryffindor wielded would have bled off while the sword stood for display in Hogwarts.

I don't remember exactly but where did Harry stab the Basilisk? If it was just a minor prick, then the sword's power was responsible for slaying a basilisk.

Plus it's not like a 12 year old has the strength to cut through basilisk hide.

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As the Basilisk bites Harry in the arm, he stabs it through the room of it's mouth and into it's brain. No minor knick killed it.

6. Methene

Methene Auror

Ah... That detail escaped me. True, then perhaps there was no power left in the sword at the time Harry used it.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm, makes you wonder what a nuke made out of goblin metal would be like... Or even a dirty bomb. Absorb a bit of basilisk venom, or some other strong toxin, into a piece of metal and blow it up. Voilà! One instant-death poison linked to an explosion :D. Actually, this gives me an idea...

8. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

I had a mental image of the sword absorbing a transfiguration spell attempting to change something into a tank. Now THAT would be one hell of a super-weapon.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm...I wonder what would happen if you dipped some Goblin Metal in Phoenix tears? Would it absorb the healing properties?

That would make a cool magical artifact.

In fact, maybe that's what Helga Hufflepuff's cup was. We're told it has many magical properties. What if it's made of Goblin Metal and dipped in Pheonix tears? Anyone who drinks from the cup from then on is healed to the extent that Pheonix tears can heal something.

A nice idea.

Carrying on this idea, what would happen if you dipped Gryfindor's sword in Phoenix tears? A sword that heals any wound that it causes? Could be useful for faking your own death.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Be good for Halloween...stick a sword through your body, it constantly heals the damage thats being done with it there, down a pain killing potion and dawn some bloody rags and hey presto, a good costume...

11. Aekiel

High Score:
    Sounds like the Holy Grail to be honest, though I expect the metal would absorb it since phoenix tears are a magically powerful substance.

Aekiel

12. Methene

Methene Auror

I see a potential for immortality. Have a cup fashioned out of Goblin metal, sink it into the Elixir of life and then that cup could grant you immortality without having to make the Elixir out of a Philosopher's stone.

13. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Oh god, this opens up a can of worms to the entire super!Harry genre...

Instant kill sword and an instant heal cup. Combined with a tiara (yeh...have to transfigure that) that grants immeasurable wisdom and Slytherin's ring/bring back dead people stone.

Add the staff of Merlin and off you go.

14. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

This could be a good starting point though: somebody uses the sword, and by and buy the sword gains magical potency until it finally becomes self-aware. The sword starts to control whoever wields it at the time then.

Granted, the evil gadget idea is old too, but in good hands, I think, it could be turned into a decent mystery/suspence story.

15. apocalypsemeow

apocalypsemeow Professor DLP Supporter

...What's with the signage. We've all got eyeballs. We can see who's posting. >_>

BOT
    I don't think it's terribly likely for a sword to absorb healing powahs. It would totally defeat the purpose of using it as an offensive/defensive weapon... Unless it was just for show.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or you could make it such that Phoenix tears are able to hurt some creatures too, like Vampires or Dementors.

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Mhm. Sounds like an idea. Or healing sword. Stab someone with it and it heals them... strange visual, that.

Hm... can it absorb spells? Touch a person with it and it stuns them. Or even better, kills them with a killing curse.

18. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

if it could absorb spells, then the sword would get really overpowered. Think about it, if the sword absorbed the AK, then anyone that gets hit will either die from the curse or basilisk venom.

Personally, I would just get a new goblin metal sword and shoot a crucio and dip it in phoenix tears. A sword that tortures and then heals the wound anyone?

19. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    For the win.

Actually, this gives me lots of good torture methods to use - get some shrapnel ...goblin crafted shrapnel. Hit it with a crucio, fidelus, phoenix tears and anti-summoning, and then insert into Malfoy's lung. Heal the exterior wound and presto, perpetually pierced lung.

20. Aekiel

High Score:
    STFU, I've signed every post I've made since I first joined the forum, I'm not gonna stop now.

Also, goblin metal bullets >XD. God that would own so much.

Aekiel