1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

a way around Prior Incantato?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IndoGhost, Jan 4, 2006.

1. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

The Prior Incantato is used to see what spell were cast by the wand right? so does that mean there is a spell out there where you can clear your wand of all the spell you used?

2. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    The concept is never clearly stated so there's a bunch of way to look at this.

1) A memory of sort/ blackbox is embedded within the casting wand so that Prior Incantato kind of just reads the blackbox. Solution would be just get rid/wipe the black box.

2) There's a maximum limit/amount/time frame a prior incantato can view on a single wand. So you could just keep casting spells or wait the required number of days to make Prior Incantato obsolete in detecting the incriminating spell you used.

Using a spell to remove history of spells seems kind of circular. Wouldn't the Prior Incantato reveal that a spell was used to remove the other spells and wouldn't that kind of give away the fact that the wand user had something to hide.

3. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

Good point...What about a potion?

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Authors come up with all types of things to wipe the 'blackbox' clean like potions, spells, fairy dust... it's just a fanon thing really.

5. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Yeah that's true... I suppose a potion could work. Kind of weird though if it's that easy to get rid of evidence...

6. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

I could make it harder...you know like put in more details and make the instructions for the potions be under lockdown or something.

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

It'd be restricted substance or spell, whatever it was if the Ministry knew of it. It might also contain rare or expensive...not every crook is going to spend the gold to get these kinds of ingredients. People like Lucius Malfoy however, is a different matter. He probably could clear his wand of evidence. As for a spell to clear it...ever heard of a virus that wipes all mention of its-self?

Priori Incantum is an actual spell I believe...I remember in GoF after the Quidditch World Cup they used it on Harry's wand.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I always thought, after reading GoF, that it just showed the very last spell you used... So couldn't you just cast an Avis or something and clear it?

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Well, isnt this the same thing as what happened with Voldemort? It showed more than one spell so the spell can probably show more than one too.

10. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

No, with Voldemort it was different. There was the whole golden dome thing and the light connecting Harry's and V's wand. I think it Priori only shows the one previous spell except in special cases like what happened between the two brother wands.

11. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I think the two are different, yet in essence the same. I think if Harry and Voldemort were to keep their wands connected for longer then more victims/spells (don't think JK said any spells came out during the graveyard scene) would come out. It is my opinion that the longer a wand is held under the effects of the Prior Incantato (the name is so similar that you cannot help but connect the two) spell the further back they would be able to see spells cast from. Of course this would have it's limits as I don't think the ghosts of those killed would emerge from the wand the spells were cast from.

12. Nymph

Nymph Second Year

But why did the ghosts come out of Voldemort's wand? Shouldn't the same thing happen to Harry's as well then? Well not exactly ghosts but spells that he cast before, or anything like that. Or did it only happen to Voldemort because he cast the spell earlier? Maybe its because Harry never cast Avada Kedavra?

13. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

No spells came out, but screams representing Cruciatus came out in between the ghosts. Stuff comes out of the willpower-battle loser's wand, and not the winner's, methinks.

14. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The result was different, b/c the cause was different.

GoF = forced 1 spell to show itself by means of a spell.

OOTP= battle of willpower between 2 brother wands, not using the Prior spell, as long as the wands were connected it spat back what it'd done in the past 15ish years.

I'd say the Prior spell is singular use only

15. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

if it can bring back multiple spells a witch or wizard can just cast like 50 household spells or something

16. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Maybe if you use someone else's wand to cast the charm that cleans up the spell evidence?

For the dome/brother wand business, it think it's a bit complicated.

Voldemort cast the killing curse, and Harry cast the disarming spell. Since Harry won, Voldemort's wand revealed the last spells it used. Now, i would say that it revealed the last killing curses used by the wand, but because it shows the smoky shape of wormtail's new hand coming out as well, that is disproved.

I guess that proves that the priori incantatem spell to check wands will keep cycling through the spells cast by the wand in reverse order. Diggory probably just stopped the spell once the Dark Mark came out.

To think of it, it would be a bit dumb to use a spell that just shows the last spell cast by a wand. It makes it too easy to bullshit your way out of a lawsuit or whatever.