1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mafia!Harry

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Water Mage, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

I'm just now coming out of retirement of fanfiction and stumbled across this board. I was surprised to see that my stories were known here. Apparently they even have a genre now! I know I was alone when I started out. I never really thought of the fact that others would start similar themed stories. Does anyone know any stories that follow the "mafia!harry" theme? I'm really curious to read some of them.

2. DarklingDragon

DarklingDragon Squib

3. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Thanks. I vaguely remember that author asking to use "Potter" ideas in their own story. Looks interesting. I've done a search for some but they're hard to find. FF.net's search engine always flips out whenever I try and use it. I was hoping maybe some people have some bookmarked maybe.

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Shade Dancer has a series, beginning with "The Prince of Blood". There's also hewhoistomriddle's "Bitter Laughter". They are really the only one's I've read that are of any note.

Both are overshadowed by your story, in my humble opinion. I'll edit in the links.

Does this mean that Slave of Dragons will be updated? :D

Edit: hewhoistomriddle's Bitter laughter at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3163246/Bitter_Laughter

5. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Slave of Dragons will definitely be updated. I never meant to take such a long break. I'm Pre-Med and its my junior year so the work load kind of punches you in the face if you neglect it for one day. I'm trying to get back in the flow of things with the writing. I'm definitely going to check out Bitter Laughter. It looks nice and long too.

6. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Nice to see a good author getting back into the fandom. Going to go fairly off topic here and ask if your planning on shortening up the years or skipping a few? Because it really seems like an unfinishable series if you want to do all 7 years and I would expect with this story another story post-hogwarts.

7. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Yeah. I've thought about that and I'm definitely going to both skip and shorten some Hogwarts years. Its kind of constricting when stories go through all seven years at Hogwarts.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Authors like this are why DLP has the reputation it does.

I feel like fucking raping it sentence by sentence but I can't even be fucked to waste the time, what a piece of shit.

If anyone knows of any decent Mafia!Harry fics do, please, tell.

Preferably wiping off the dribble of WaterMage's cum, first.

Thanks.

9. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Yup, certainly can't like an others works without taking his load to your face that's for sure.

10. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The-Caitiff has written Omerta, a short mafia!harry one shot as a part of his Odd Ideas series.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3436450/5/Odd_Ideas_Bin_aka_Weird_Sh_Folder

Omerta - I had to look that up: Omertà is a popular attitude, common in areas of southern Italy, such as Sicily, Calabria, and Campania, where criminal organizations like the Mafia, 'Ndrangheta, and Camorra are strong. A common definition is the "code of silence".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omerta

I haven't read any of Water Mage's fics yet, but if anyone is looking for them you can find them here: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/303105/

Yak.

11. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Nice. ;)

I had to abandon it after the first few lines. My mouse almost cracked with how hard I pressed the back button.

12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

It's an acquired taste. Spend a few months sloughing through shitty fics, and those that aren't so shitty eventually get a rosy smell to them.

13. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Spend a few months reading only highly recommended fics and those that you have been following for a long time, and those that aren't so shitty eventually seem shittier.

Sorry, but my acquired taste works that way. ;)

14. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

That was a good one. I'm always a fan of a Harry that does violence with whatever the hell is near him. The ending was nice as well. It worked out pretty well for just a maybe concept.

15. yak

Killing death eaters with a gardening spade is full of win.

Then he crucio's and imperious's a captured Bellatrix. I've never seen anyone command an imperious'd person to die in such a manner in a fanfic.

“That’s exactly my point,” The driver told the one who hadn’t seen, “She walks out with this glazed look in her eye, tell us this Tom Riddle chap sent her to kill the boy, and then...” He shuddered dramatically. “Potter told her to die and she just stopped breathing. That’s not normal.”

“Look,” the passenger said hotly, “let’s just torch the place and get out of here. There’s obviously nobody here, there’s not even another car for miles, and if anyone does show up... Well that’s why we brought the Sterlings.”

The-Caitiff's Omerta.

Yak.

16. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This AN says everything about Bitter Laughter that needs to be said.

Omerta's pretty nice. Sadly it's only a one-shot. Harry's rise at the very end is a tad too quick.
    Haven't you played Mafia?

Seriously, there needs to be a good Mafia!Harry fic.

17. yak

No, I haven't played Mafia - neither the party game (which I'd never heard of), nor the video game.

GTA:SA was a big favourite of mine, apparently it's in the same vein as Mafia, except minus the mafia of course. ;)

Yak

18. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Im not sure if this is necro-posting or not but I read Omerta and that was great very funny to read but the other one "Bitter Laughter" was just...terrible. It was like a summarized list of most every horrible cliche Ive ever seen in a fic.

19. yak

20. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

And part IV to finish it out will be coming eventually. I wouldn't say Harry "rose to the top" in the muggle mob, just that he became a "made man" by opening up a few new tactics and venues to his boss. He provides something no one else could and showed he was willing to use it to their ends.