1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

My idea of Severus' motives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sepanto, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

As i was thinking of Snape's motives, i realised just how a big a paralel there is between him and Dalamr from dragonlance. As we see he was very proficent with the "Dark Arts" in Hogwarts, and maybe voldemort saw this potiental, and offered to take him as an apprentice. As he joined Voldemort he began becoming sickened of him, and secretly spied for Dumbledore, and maybe Voldemort, finding this, began feeding him rubbish.

As Voldemort returned, and Snape came to him a few hours afterwards, Snape began groveling about he was loyal to his master and only to his master, and Voldemort began torturing him, to see if he breaks. When snape came half dead to Dumbledore, Albus told him to quit spying, and that it wasn't worth it. Snape then began telling Dumbledore that he joined Voldemort for power and power only.

As we see dumbledore horrified with the torture marks, He threatens Snape, which causes Snape to tell him that "I don't care if it costs me my soul and body, I will give everything for the chance to learn from one as strong as the dark lord".

Bah, that's what i will input as my idea of Severus' Motive in my fanfic, is it good?

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Err... you might need to address why Dumbles consistently supports and believes in him. Giving him the DADA post was just another affirmation that Albus knew and trusted Snivelly's motives.

That's why all the fools, err I mean people, who like Snape, keep coming up with ridiculous ways to redeem him.

3. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

That is rather simple, he took an anti-Veritaserum antidote he developed before each meeting with Dumbledore, and when Dumbledore force-fed him Veritaserum he sprouted all what Dumbledore wanted to hear to make him his loyal spy.

4. DarkPhoenix2500

DarkPhoenix2500 Second Year

...erm there is no such thing >_> and i though dumble was a legilimence >_> thats so spelled wrong too >_> but yea anyway @_@ snape had a motive.....its called a Unbreakeable Vow.......

5. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Well, he says, "Snape invented it." Which is possible as he is a Potions master (check out the guy's notes in Half-Blood PRince, and HE WAS 15 THEN!!!)

Also, there antidotes to other poisons, and that's all veritaserum is technically. A poison that temporarily causes you to tell the truth. Alcohol is also technically a poison. I see no reason that there can't be an antidote that Snape invents.
    The big question is WHY DOES SNAPE KEEP HELPING ALBUS?!

Snape saved Albus life after Albus tried to destroy Marvolo Gaunt's ring (remember his "blackened hand?")

6. DarkPhoenix2500

-_- Ugh, i dont recall snape inventing anything of the sorts o_O and i dont think veritersuem is a poison, just a truth serum, but snape only killed >_> if he did kill >_> dumbledore because of the unbreakeable vow he made to narcissa, so he could protect draco since he couldnt do it <_< I still say dumbledore was telling him to kill him, instead of not to kill him @_@ im sure dumbledore knew about the unbreakeable vow, reason why snape was so intent on finding out what draco was doing so he could tell dumbledore....but draco didnt tell snape and yea @_@

7. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

The above is taken from JK Rowling's website. The key phrase here is in bold. Snape is a Occlumency Master capable of fooling Voldemort/Dumbledore or both. I imagine he is always prepared to fend off Leglimency or any sort of truth potions.

And although it pains me to do it I will also quote HPB ch.17 pg. 372 American edition

So there you go.

8. DarkPhoenix2500

Ah ok....but none the less =P Dumbledore doesnt use veritasuem on snape, o_O coming to think of it, dumbledore wouldnt give it to anyone less it was absolutly necessary, so ill stick with me saying Snape did it cause of a unbreakeable vow >_> And dumbledore was pleading with snape to do it, so he could stay as a spy and save his own life >_>

9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

This all just goes right back to then why did Dumbledore trust him? Just because he questioned him under veritaserum? If veritaserum is this easily countered, then why would Albus trust it?

Dumbledore makes mistakes, but to have him make this big of one seems either that you're taking Dumbledore completely OOC and turning him into a complete idjit. Personally, I'd think Dumbledore is about as easy to fool as Voldemort is. And you can interpret that however you want.

10. True Story

True Story Third Year

Says who?

11. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I agree, with Nonjon, and I'll go further and add, that neither are fools.

This means he had to prove his loyalty to BOTH of them sufficiently. Snape may be my favorite character, and, in my opinion, is exactly what Mad-Eye Moody tries, and fails, to be. (Moody had his ASS handed to him in the Department of MYsteries, was subdued and KIDNAPPED, and was held PRISONER for one year)

Snape seems to have the simple policy that he May not be able Fuck with you, but NO ONE gets to FUCK with him.

Dumbledore and Voldemort may be more powerful, and Snape knows this, but he still is JUST as cunning as they are. Probably not as magically creative (Voldemort INVENTED the Potion and Spell used at his resurection in Book 4 and DUmbledore is considered famous for his ALchemical work with Nicholas Flamel). SNape while creative (Inventing new spells and IMPROVING potions) never came close to the level of prowess displayed by Dumbledore or Voldemort.

But Snape will always be alert and on his guard and is constantly wary of attack.

12. DarkPhoenix2500

-_- Its common sence, dumbledore is to well into the light to use veritasum to force anyone to take it, unless like i said it was ABSOLUTLY necessary, >_>

and i see the point about snape, it could be he was playing on both sides, trying to find out who would win, and when he discovered about dumbledores hand though that he was too weak and was going to lose so he sided with voldemort? Mabye, but still theres the argument that had happened between snape/draco and snape/dumbledore, So sadly, it wont matter what we think we just have to sit and wait till book 7 in like 5 years

13. True Story

True Story Third Year

Well into the light? You mean he is well into fighting against Voldemort....there is a difference, fanon is clouding your judgement. You have no idea whether or not he would use Veritasium on Snape. You just think he wouldn't. He used it on Slughorn didn't he?

I don't know why people classify the two sides as the light and the dark...they just have opossing political View points and one has no problem using the DArk Arts. Hmm....come to think of it people might think so because Voldemort calls himself the Dark Lord....I think it's just vanity. You remember his statement 'there is only power and those too weak to seek it' I don't think he is fighting for the forces of evil against the only Good guys left in the world. Or anything as melodramatic as that.

14. DarkPhoenix2500

o_O I dont recall him using it on slughorn, though it has been awhile since a read it, and if fanon was clouding my judgement >_> i would agree and think of dumbledore as a senile old manipulating little bastard......unlike in canon where he well isnt..... and the whole dark/light is sorta opinion i think...though i could be wrong again, but in canon and correct me if im wrong, but isnt dumbledore suppose to be the so called beacon of light?

15. True Story

True Story Third Year

"Professor Slughorn is an extremely able wizard who will be expecting both," said Dumbledore. "He is much more accomplished at Occlumency than poor Morfin Guant, and I would also be astonished if he has not carried an antidote to Veritaserum with him ever since I coerced him into giving me this travesty of a recollection."

I'm not saying that he is manipulative I'm saying that he jsut has an opposing View point from Voldermort it has nothing to do with Ultimate evil and DArk ray ray ray.....Beacon of light :? What are you talking about? He run's the Order of phoenix and has several other positions of importance within the ministry but Beacon of the Light......Voldemort is a revolutionary, Dumbledore is fighting for the establishment that is it.

16. DarkPhoenix2500

Ah yea @_@ but again i think this really just turns again into opinion @_@ and its funny how we go from talking about snape to dumbledore <_< so back on topic? somehow....

17. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

On why Snape killed Dumbledore, I believe they must have been using legilmency like telepathy to talk to each other. On another note is the picture of Harry at the top of the screen an adapted version of Anakin?

18. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I want it to be so that Snape killed Dumbledore because he was loyal to Voldemort but I know it isn't going to happen that way. JK will spin it so that Dumbledore was pleading for Snape to kill him.

19. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yep, Zev did it, adding the scars and eye tint.

20. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

Well it will all be clear about snapes motifs in about a years time because with Rowling you never know when she springs something unexpected at you. Though i dont put much credit in the last book. pretty sure that there will be plenty of loose knots left and things will never actually be fully explained. then Rowling decides that she needs more money and makes a book with all the facts written in it.