1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Story of The Guys by The Professional - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Jan 8, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: The Story of The Guys
    Author: The Professional
    Rating: T
    Genre: General/Angst
    Pairing: None for now (but NOT Ginny, probably Slytherin girl)
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 79,166
    Updated: Nov 4, 2009
    Published: Dec 19, 2005

Summary:Harry Potter is the only person to have ever survived the Avada Kedavra curse. Unfortunately, his twin brother, Michael, is mistakenly proclaimed as the BoyWhoLived instead. Years later, the twins both go to Hogwarts... Spinoff to 'HP: The Lone Traveller'
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2709487/1/

This is spinoff to "Harry Potter: The Lone Traveller" from the same author.

In "Lone Traveller" Harry jumps through different dimensions and helps his other selves and his friends with various things, like in that canceled TV show Quantic Leap. It's not much of a story; pretty boring actually and with constant hints of Harry/Ginslut, but one chapter was rather nice. This is sort of an extended version of that chapter.

So, this is Slytherin!Harry story, with standard twist where Harry's twin brother is considered for BWL. It's done rather nicely, however.

First of all, Harry is not abused and adopted. He's somewhat neglected, but bigger issue here is his own jelousy of his brother than some abuse factor. Nice to see not-BWL Harry who is NOT a little abused angel getting adopted by Snape.

Second, Harry HATES Malfoy. He's not his friend or lover, but rival inside Slytherin house. Harry has his own group of semi-OC friends called the Guys (nice hints of Maraurders, with the kids having evil dark-lord-like names... found it very funny).

And finally, he's powerful but moderately so. He's not perfect but still strong. Not too whiny or too angsty but has his down moments... It's all very rounded and moderate, no overdoing stuff like in all the other stories of this genre.

All in all, rather good AU fic, that has potential to turn into the best not-BWL Harry story around.

Checked by Minion, March 7, 2014

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I was a bit leery about reading this after reading the first few chapters of Lone Traveler, because I really didn't like the whole jumping around universes part. But, I was really impressed. Harry's parents aren't outright ignoring him and abusing him, they just seem to pay less attention to him when Michael is around. That's one reason why I stay away from these type of stories, I just can't see Lily or James mentally or physically abusing any child of theirs purposely. But this story is really good, definitely the best of its class/type.

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

It is good but I'm dreading the part where the Harry from Lone Traveler enters this world. And he is going to be in it. He said it'll be pretty soon too... I reckon it doesnt need that. It'll probably ruin it a bit. It's fine how it is.

4. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

I like this story...this is how it should be for a harry is not BWL story..

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

His brother is an arsehole and I like that, lol. I just hope his parents dont suddenly start paying him attention now though because then the jealousy will die out.

The brothers always have to hate eachother or its never any good.

6. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I have an idea for a story with the Harry-not-BWL thing, which would of course feature Evil!Harry. I'd elaborate more, but that would spoil all the fun. Actually doing it depends on my ability to make time in between my already existing fics and other hobbies (yay for raising bonsai and sudoku and video games).

7. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

I'm not worries about his parents ...I'm more worried about his little sister...if my little sister decided i was evil just because my parents thought so i would lose it...

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

He should just kill the little slut and be done with it.

Damn, but am I ever on a hate and bloodlust binge tonight~!

9. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Perfect for working on another chapter/scene of Dakaath. What's this S/M moment I heard about hmm?

Non outright abusive parents? Woot, sounds like a winner. I'll give it a whirl.

You didn't read did you Sera... the poor girl was just confused...and is like what 5?

10. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

My big gripe that REALLY pissed me off is that Blaise Zabini an 11 year old, was able to realize that Harry was the Boy-Who-Lived, but Dumbledore, with all his experience, thought that Michael was. And based on what? Based on the SIZE of his scar. If someone made a HUGE gash up Harry's side, I guess Dumbledore would have realized that Harry was the Boy-Who-Lived.

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yes, it's kinda stupid, but I think he said in one of his AN's that Dumbledore's reasoning would be explained later on...

But I agree about traveler thing... I'd much rather see this story without his influence... Actually, I'd much rather see the Author scraping that whole Quantum Leap story and focus his attention on this one.

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Yeah, that would be cool. And if the author can explain it, then I guess I'll be fine with it. (Although, Harry remembering he's the Boy-Who-Lived is a little odd, but that one I'll buy.)

I REALLY hope he doesn't taint his good story with that piece of crap he wrote.

13. DaytonDeusBlack

DaytonDeusBlack Seventh Year

This is better than Lone Traveller. It's a good thing he didn't make it slash or H/G. That would have really ruined the story. I'm looking forward to an update.

14. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Hmm... any fics like Lone Traveller anyone else knows about?

It's not that far off from a bunny I keep putting off from writing. But less happy-cheesy-suckness. Won't bother with it, if it's been done halfway decently before though.

Short idea is I've read too many fics with goddamn-pussy!Harry and he frankly wouldn't beat a Voldemort worth two shits. And I've read tons of super!Harry and tons of Dimension-hopping Harry, so I figured one bad-ass Harry could just hop dimensions, and see if the Harry there or whoever else needed help with their Voldemort problems. Of course it would take a nice battle-hardened intelligent and romance-less Harry, who just likes kicking Voldemort's ass. Maybe swore an oath to destroy Voldie and has to fulfill in more ways than he was planning. And I could also take out my frustrations on all the damn cry-baby!Harry, Ginny-loving!Harry, abused!Harry, agonizing-over-having-to-'kill'!Harry, etc... at the same time. If he comes across a Draco-loving!Harry he may just have to kill that Harry for Harry's own good.

But if the idea's been done, no point to repeating it. So anyone know/read anything like it? This quantum leap-ish one rings semi-similar but not enough to derail any future plans.

15. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

NO!! DO IT!!!

Go NONJON!!! :D :D :D :D

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Hmm, no, I think Lone Traveller was one of a kind with the quantam leaping. Most other people just have him go back in time and stay in one place, if they want to do something like that.

But your idea sounds great, I would recommend you go for it.

17. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

*in an important voice*I, Count Indo Da Ghost, here by command you to write this wonderful idea........*in a small voice*please..pretty please..

18. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I actually saw one other I realized. Harry travels through the veil, but its stupid and he has to fight himself, Tom Riddle, and Dumbledore (I know its stupid.) It was a cheap rip-off of "The One" a bad Jet Li movie (The author admits it was based off the one). APparently Harry has to kill alternate versions of himself to gain their power. there are only two Harry's in history. OUr Harry, and another where he is evil. Its Really lame. He actually defeats the alternate Harry through LOVE :puke:

Yours sounds way better. THis one is decent to start with, but slowly gets worse.

19. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yes, that would be good way to bash all those clishes (like you did in your psychiatric story).

I can just imagine traveler slapping whipped pussy Ginny-loving Harry "Snap out of it! She's just a slutty poor stalker, who'll pop out 10 babies right after graduating, turn into a fat cow after a year, and spend the rest of her life screaming at you, turning you into another henpecked pussywhipped Arthur We... <SLAP> I SAID SNAP THE FUCK OUT OF IT!! AND DROP THAT FUCKING DREAMY SMILE! THAT'S NOT A GOOD THING!!!"

20. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Ahh yeah. Maxfic's "The Otherside" fic.

Too much Ginny-loving by far. Even with the evil Dark Lord Harry, she spied against him, killed him, and still loved him. E-fucking-gads.

Actually that fic and the veil-gateway semi-cliche gave me a different bunny about a century-plus-year-old Harry, after his wife Luna died, and he'd done about everything in magic he could, except the Veil. So he researched that over and over, and finally took the plunge, found Sirius trapped and bored and the two of them head on out to a new world, since the one Harry left was pretty much finished and boring. It'd be more of that "Sirius half-wanted Harry to replace James and have another swinging bachelor friend" and now, in a whole new world he would have that sort of Harry. Of course this wizened, skilled, level-headed Harry is still the sort of guy who married Luna, so it's not like he'd be too responsible and boring. Sirius and Harry would have their own semi-fake wizards for hire business. No working at hogwarts, but there probably would still be a Voldemort, though Sirius and Harry wouldn't care too much about him. At least until the ministry hired them to. Or maybe not. The business stuff and Voldie's existence was variable, but I didn't want him working at Hogwarts or *that* sort of cliche.

It would have been a world with James and Lils though, and when I brought back James, Lily, and Sirius to You Did What?! I sort of scratched that one since I wasn't going to be doing two Harry + the dead folks fics. At least not at the same time.