1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Veela Society

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Methene

Methene Auror

Since a number of people have picked up the noble crusade of increasing the Harry/Fleur story count, and the Harry/Fleur thread seems to have temporarily stirred into a discussion of the Veela charm, I created this thread to give the authors, myself included, a helping hand in their stories.

That being said, post your views on the Veela Society...

My own:

Excerpt from ''With Magic and Wand'' (I am getting through it Franki, don't worry)

"Veela society is peculiar in its creation. Closest to Wizards and Witches in appearance out of all magical beings, they have always been integrated in our society. Although some of the more radical groups of the Pureblood movement label them as creatures, and choose to consider them undesirable, the mainstream belief is that the result of a Veela-Wizard union is a Pureblood Witch or Wizard.

As a result of them being capable of creating offspring with Wizards, their society per say does not exist in the traditional sense. Although some other creatures are capable of reproducing with Wizards, the offspring is often deformed and or aesthetically unpleasant. (see Goblins, Giants entries and Halfbreeds, by Walpurga Black)

The origins of the Veelas are crowded in mystery, although rumours of an all female society, with unprecedented power over males survived the Purging of Magic from Muggle History. Amazons, part of the Muggle mythology, are often credited to be their interpretation of Veelas. Although, flawed in their reasoning, the magical myth is that Veelas are descended of the Venusian branch of magical tribes, deviating from the mainstream Martian and Jupiterian tribes into what they have evolved now.

The Veela charm, as it has been coined, is the subject of much dispute in the academic circles of the magical world. The general belief is that Wizards, although cases of Witches have been observed, are physically attracted to Veelas, causing the belief that Veelas can ensnare and command Wizards. Indeed, that has been the main motivation of the anti-Veela propaganda, led by Walpurga Black.

In reality, the Veela charm causes admiration and physical attraction, reputed to cause weak minded Wizards into a vegetable state, unable to respond to outside stimuli. However, normal minded Wizards are capable of functioning normally around Veelas, although the attraction is undeniable even for them. Exceptionally powerful Wizards, have been noted to resist the Veela charm, although they are susceptible to the physical attraction, due to a Veela's Olympian beauty.

It is noted that for powerful Wizards, the Veela charm decreases in effectiveness as they age. Some have been known to be completely unique to it, such as Lord Voldemort and Albus Dumbledore. The first, is considered to be unique due to both his age and Dark Arts ability, while the second is immune due to more unique reasons that the author does not want to mention.

Veela society does not exist in its traditional form, such as the Goblin Dominion or the Giant tribes, but it is merely a society, who meets to help other Veelas adjust to their powers. Although several radical Veelas oppose the intermingling with Wizards and have isolated themselves in Hyperboria, the mainstream Veelas often intermingle with Wizards, producing offspring. (for more information, see The Delacour Family, by Louis Mitterrand).

The peculiar option to consider is the Veela male, who has been reputed to..."

2. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

If you want to expand on it... you could also have Veela feed off of a multilude of other emotions other than lust. A bit like like the Houses of the White Court in the Dresden Files.

3. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Unique reasons = Flaming Faggot

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

He might be resistant to the female ones, but the male Veela will get a nasty surprise when he bends over for them.

5. Methene

Methene Auror

That is why I cut off the article where I did. Andromalius, do you think there are male Veelas? If so, do they have the same powers, but geared towards females, or the odd Dumbledore?

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Well, aside from Secret of The Male Veela, which makes the supposed male veela out to be more of a unique creature, a prophesied demon, rather than a commonly occurring thing, virtually all stories that involve male veela should be deleted because they are utter trash.

If I had a nickel for every fetid, stinking 'Draco is a male veela and Harry/Hermione is his mate' story that clogs fanfiction websites, I'd be rich... angry, nauseated and rich.

That aside, there have to be male veela or else there would be no such thing as a full veela, like Fleur's grandmother. If there are no full veela, there can be no half veela, and no quarter veela, like Fleur herself.

We never hear about male veela or their charm, et cetera in canon, though it would have been natural to mention such when female veela were discussed. So, while it is fairly certain that there is no such thing as a 'male veela' in regards to special powers, they have to exist.

One can assume that a 'male veela' is simply the son of a veela or partial veela who carries the veela genetic code but who does not display any veela traits. In this case, Fleur's veela heritage could very well have been inherited from her father, with her paternal grandmother being the veela whose hair makes up her wand's core.

If veela simply cropped up every once in a while at random, then every veela could be considered 'full' and there wouldn't be any male veela. Though there would be no distinction between full, half, quarter and so on, either, unless the terms are simply a way to refer to which abilities they display. In which case a full veela has the attraction charm and the ability to shift into avian form and produce fireballs, whereas a quarter one might only have the charm. If so, the fact that Fleur's grandmother is a full Veela is mere coincidence. It is a possible explanation, though not a very satisfying one.

I'd also like to say right now that, even if there were male veela that had all of the powers and abilities of their female counterparts, none of the Malfoys would be one.
    Why? Because they are purebloods and a veela is a magical creature. It's not like the Malfoys would secretly have veela in their family while saying they're pureblood, either, because they truly believe in pureblood superiority. It's not just talk to them, they really, truly believe in it. None of them (not the current generation, nor their ancestors) would touch a veela (outside of a hostage's cell in a death eater hideout) because they see anything that isn't purely a wizard/witch as lower than them and they don't want to pollute/dilute the bloodline.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  7. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I just had this really weird idea that amused me, so I felt like sharing.

What if 'male veelas' are actually dementors. What if the women fed off lust and the men fed off grief?

The women are beautiful and give out an aura that causes sexual attraction but can turn ugly and vicious, like lust.

The men feed off of grief and because of this they give off an aura of cold and an aura that causes grief. And just like grief you can feel like your soul has been sucked out.

So, if you keep going with that, perhaps other beings feed on other emotions and take on those qualities both physically and with certain magical powers.

So if one of those beings fed on happiness then it would look care free and happy and would give off a sense of happiness. It would probably have the ability to fly or something. You know being free of 'cares' which burden you.

If something fed on anger than it would give off an aura of anger and would look like Ganon or something. I don't know what a good 'angry' power would be.

Etcetera

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  8. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

An inspired notion.
    ...be a hell of a secret though.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Logic would assume, given what we do know and some interpretations from real life, male veela would be little different then females, I would expect. They would be, however, less revered and more shunned then their female counterparts.

I would think most wizards, like a some men in real life, would tend to objectify feminine veela. In this case its easier because the "woman" is "not human," and just a magical creature.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Unless Veela are able to reproduce either asexually, or with each other. They are part-birds it seems, so maybe they lay eggs that Veela children hatch out of with no male involved.

Would be an interesting forbidden Potions ingredient.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I think Dementors feed off of happiness. They absorb all your happy memories until there is nothing left. The Patroni is like a giant cookie for them, only it has rat poison it in, thus driving them away. Happiness feeds them, yet it can also be used to drive them off.

A lot of people say that JKR mucked it up, but I have no problem with the above method.

Anyway... I support Veela Eggs. [​IMG]

That said, canon never mentions any male veela. Then again, I don't think we see any female centaurs either. It's fanfiction, so you can make them either a rare, one every two thousand year phenomenon or just as common as female veela. It wouldn't really matter, but I personally prefer if they are just common. Otherwise, I don't know how there would be any 'full-blooded' veela...

...unless the females have penises...

...or maybe just testicles with sperm...

...or as Taure mentioned, they can reproduce asexually...

...yeah.

12. Gabrinth

Hmmm, I guess the dementor thing could be taken both ways. In my mind they use their aura thing to bring up all your bad memories and make you unable to think of anything but those memories which causes despair which they feed off of.

The Patronus only works because it is a being made of only one good memory and all the happiness that comes with it. The being has no bad memories, and therefore bad feelings, to bring up so it is a perfect shield.

13. Arne

Arne Squib

Of couse they are others like dementors ... boggarts (fear), poltergaists (mischief), banshees (sorrow) usw.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds kinda like succubi and incubi, or the White Court vampires in the Dresden Files; feeding off specific emotions to fuel their demonic side. IIRC it was pleasure for the House of Raith, fear for the Malvoras and despair for the Skavis.

Maybe the Dementor could be the next evolution of those type of vampires. They share none of the weaknesses, apart from powerful positive emotions (like love), and feed off the same type of emotions as the Skavis/Malvora do. Would be interesting to see the evolution of a pleasure feeding Dementor :p. Or visa versa, as the case may be.

I don't think poltergeists would feed off anything though, they're just chaotic spirits that manifest into the real world in order to wreak as much havoc as possible. At least that's what Peeves is.

Aekiel

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  15. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

They probably could feed off of annoyance? ^_^

16. Helltanz98

Helltanz98 Professor

Are you daft

Where in the world do you get Banshees representing sorrow, Banshees are heralds of Death in Mythology, they could in some aspects also be attributed similarites to Slavic house spirits in that they help around the house with chores.

17. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

So you mean that when teenagers say "My mom was shrieking like a banshee at me to clean my room," they're being true to the original myth? LAWL.

18. Gabrinth

Just pretend Helltanz didn't talk. He'll just take over the thread with his bitching. Pretty soon we'll be talking about TOTALWAR!!!1!!11!! Dementor Style!

19. Chicklepea

Chicklepea Third Year

I was wondering about male Veela myself.

I would imagine that they still have the same powers of their female counter parts, but would attract females as opposed to males. I also get the feeling that part Veelas are not that common; Fluer is the only one we meet; I think. Also, could a part Veela be male, I don't really see how it couldn't. A child is a 50/50 chance.

It also brings something else up. The creatures at the Quidditch world cup did not seem "human" in mind. And I was curious if they do in fact speak a human language. If they don't, how can they raise a human child? They don't appear to be the type to stay with a man in the homley fashion, and it would be nine months, (or more or less, since we don't know what the Veela's pregnancy span is) until the baby would be born. I doubt that Veela lay eggs, unless you can imagine a human baby breaking it's way out of one, and I doubt a Veela would have a womb caperble of carrying a child if it did.

They are not found in Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them, which is curious because Werewolves and Centures are in there. Then again, a Werewolf is concidered a beast, and Centures requested to be recorded as such. Given the male influence in the ministry I can hardly see them classifying Veela as such. Vampires are also not recorded.

As to the Veela's power... well, that's curious. It's more of an enchantment. The men are put under a spell, to be mesmerised by the creature; drawn to it. It's not exactly sexual from the sounds of it, but works on the same level of interest.

Anyway, that's my brain storm on the idea. I'm not great at organising my thoughts and tend to rattle them off as I go along.

20. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Funnily enough, part of a story I plan to write (when I say 'plan', I mean I've got five pages of notes on it, plus one prologue and one chapter already written) will mention the Veela society. Therefore this is just my own interpretation of it, not necessarily what I think is the most probable.

Let's say there are no male Veelas; that in fact, Veelas are a people of females, like Amazons in mythology. If I remember correctly, Amazons were fearsome female warriors, and no male was ever accepted in their ranks -- although, every year, they opened the borders of their land to men so that they could reproduce. Sons born from these unions were cast aside, while girls were kept. (I also remember a detail according to which they had burnt off their right breast so that they would not be impeded when shooting arrows, but that's off-topic.)

So, Veelas, being mostly human-looking, need human progenitors. However, Veelas are creatures, more than animals, but not quite as human as humans themselves, and potentially dangerous. They could be seen, in fact, as predators. As I imagine them, each year, they look for the men they need, seduce them (to the point where they’re little more than lobotomized drooling slaves half-crazy with lust) and when their slaves have served their purpose, they release them. Once the men are no longer under the Veelas’ influence, we could imagine they can’t remember at all what happened. Veelas societies could then be tolerated by wizards, since they don’t do any harm except capturing a few men (Muggles or wizards) and keeping them away for one day, every year.

Boys or girls could be born from the mating. A girl would be a full Veela. A boy, however, would be a half-Veela. If there are genetics fanatics out there, I could explain the full theory here, which more or less works if you don’t look too deeply into it (those who aren’t nerdy enough to care about the genetics involved in Veela reproduction, skip the next two paragraphs).

Okay now, we know that human beings have 23 pairs of chromosomes in their genome, each pair being composed of one chromosome given by the mother and one given by the father. Among those 23 pairs, there is one pair of “sexual chromosomes”, which determine the sex of the child. Normally, females have two chromosomes X and males have one X and one Y. I’ll add that, for females, one of their X is inactivated, since they only need one functional X for their development. Veelas are females, therefore they will give their child one X; the human father will give either X or Y, as is normal.

Now let’s imagine that the sexual chromosome given by the man has “humanizing” properties (while the regular chromosomes don’t). If the father gives an X, some biological process specific to Veelas will take care to inactivate this particular X, leaving only the Veela-X functional: the baby, a girl, will be a full Veela. If the father gives an Y, however, there is no inactivation possible: the child, a boy, will grow with his Veela-X and human-Y, both functional, and because of that tiny little Y, will be a hybrid.

No species likes producing hybrids; therefore there would be a system of abortion, by magical means, as soon as Veelas (somehow) feel they’re carrying a boy. Thus there would be no hybrids.

Of course, there are always accidents; one Veela fails to realize she’s pregnant with a boy, then gives birth to him and, instead of killing him on the spot, abandons him somewhere – for various possible reasons I’ve already thought of, but which would be too long and boring to detail. The boy is found by a human being, left in the care of a human family, grows up in a human society where he finds a human wife. His own children will be quarter Veelas, their genome filled with a mixture of Veela and human genes. The girls might show an even more pronounced Veela phenotype, since they’ll also have one Veela sexual chromosome (the great proportion of non-sexual human chromosomes they receive should be enough to avoid transforming them into near-complete Veelas).

As I said, it’s only my own theory, and I fully intend to use it in my stories; but I have to admit it’s not as exotic as the egg one.