PDA

View Full Version : I am Legend

Cruentus
12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Well here is the thread for I am Legend for all of you that have seen it to leave your thoughts on it.

Personally I loved it. You don't usually see movies that good anymore in my opinion so I was kinda shocked somebody but their mind to something useful and actually made something worth watching.

What do you think?

Myst
12-20-2007, 02:28 PM
I enjoyed the movie. I could see Will Smith getting an oscar nod for his role.

The movie really made me think. That is for sure.

Inferi
12-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Poor Samantha...thats all I have to say about it

Gullible
12-20-2007, 06:49 PM
I was sad. :(

But it was an awesome film and Will Smith was brilliant.

Dr. Strange Lulz
12-20-2007, 09:00 PM
I wish Ben Cortman was in it, but other than that they did a fairly good adaptation of the book.

Really really tense, seeing high the second time might not have been the best idea.

Mage
12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Was great. I had never read the book and all I had seen of it was the commercials which didn't say anything about mutated people so I was very pleasently suprised by the movie.

Cell
12-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Movie was really good. There were a few quite people were complaining about why he had to die for. They just had to kill off Sam. :(

How about the previews? That "Jumper" movie looked awesome plus Dark Knight.

Mage
12-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Yes, both did look quite good although Jumper looked like a rip off of something else I just cant remember what. Dark Knight will be epic if the previews are anythign to go by.

The Dark Lord Squash
12-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah previews were sweet (besides Narnia), but overall I think this was one of the best movies I have seen all year. I can say that is the only movie I have seen so far that make me think oscar . Besides Actor I can see it taking best picture maybe. Oh an I live like 40 mins from Bethel the town in the end. That is really what it looks like to (just no big wall). When they cure cancer I will be scared. This movie has doomed me for that.

yojorocks
12-24-2007, 02:28 PM
I have to admit that I was really impressed by the flashbacks; they flowed in with the storyline extremely well, never jumping in such a way that it was hard to understand what was going on. The only real complaint I had was how he didn't stock up on UV lights in his lab; seriously, I would have had the area ready to be bathed in UV light at the press of a panic button if I was doing experimentation down there, kind of like the knee level fire suppression buttons in some labs. Plotwise though, it was superbly executed.

Krogan
12-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I thought the movie was great and I was very surprised at how well Will Smith pulled off crazy. The part where he was yelling at the Fred mannikin or when he was talking to the woman mannikin in the store after Sam died were incredibly well done.

Link
12-24-2007, 04:09 PM
The only real complaint I had was how he didn't stock up on UV lights in his lab; seriously, I would have had the area ready to be bathed in UV light at the press of a panic button if I was doing experimentation down there, kind of like the knee level fire suppression buttons in some labs.

I doubt that would work; the monsters were determined to kill him; if they broke the light spots defense around the house, they'd break those lights as well.

Anyway it's really a good movie; seen it twice.

Oh, there was just one thing I didn't understand. Did the alpha monster set the trap and moved Fred? They may not have lost all intelligence and social behavior, as the alpha seems to be pretty attached to his girlfriend (the one Neville captured)... but still, it's pretty hard to set up such a trap...

Rehio
12-24-2007, 04:45 PM
I figured that Neville (I have no idea if that's the spelling) made that trap for them to attack. After all, they were tricked by the mannequin on the dock. When they went for the mannequin Neville charged them with the SUV.

The Duke
12-26-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm giving it an 8/10 I loved everything about it, the movie actually made you think and care about the characters and the part when he went into the building looking for Sam was fukken scary! I give it an 8 for one simple reason, the mutants pissed me off, the looked BAD! Way to much CGI!

P.S. Seriously, it wasn't necessary for Sam to die was it? *tear*

Amerision
01-01-2008, 07:14 PM
I loved this movie. That part with the zombies all huddling around in the dark was freaky as hell.

And the trap: It was Neville's own, the Alpha zombie tricked him into going into it.

Poor Sam :(

Taure
01-01-2008, 07:25 PM
You're assuming that there's even going to be oscars this year...

Dr. Strange Lulz
01-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I loved this movie. That part with the zombies all huddling around in the dark was freaky as hell.

And the trap: It was Neville's own, the Alpha zombie tricked him into going into it.

Poor Sam :(

A. Vampires.

B. I highly doubt it was his own trap, based on the fact that we were shown him setting up the trap in which he captured the Alpha's wife. Considering the Alpha was there waiting with two vampire hounds, its safe to assume that both Fred and the trap were placed there by him as well.

However the trap was of his own design.

yhelo
01-02-2008, 03:29 PM
GODDAMMIT FRED!

This movie was highly enjoyable strictly because of the gunning down of a mannequin.

Xanatos
01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Very good movie the whole cinema was like "Wake the fuck up!" when he's trapped and the suns going down. Can't remember the last time an audience was like that.

I thought it was a very well done remake of the book ( which is really good if you havn't read it) and will smith is the man.

Ayreon
01-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I thought the real ending was much more awesome than this standard hollywood ending.

The one in which he is executed because he was unknowingly killing members of the new society and was named legend by them because of his ability to walk in the light. ;)

Dark Syaoran
01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Was going to see it anyway, but this thread paints it in a good light. Will definitely go check it out.

Aekiel
01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Watched it last week and went to see it again today. Brilliant film, not particularly scary, though it had me headbutting the ceiling in places. Second time was better though, cause I could watch my brother almost fall out his seat every time something shocking happened :D.

Felt sorry for Sam, his face he pulled while he killed her was definitely oscar worthy. All in all he played the role very well, especially when he first met Anna and Ethan. I'm not the most sociable of people, but if I was cooped up on my own for three years I'd be a little rusty on my people skills too.

Aekiel

Midknight
01-03-2008, 08:50 PM
I havent seen it yet, but one thing that bugs me in the trailers, is they play up on him being all alone, last guy one earth possibly... then they ruin the ambiance by showing him post-plague surrounded by people near helicopters ?!

Is he delusional or something, that a flashforward or something? Just really killed the excitement for me about it when I saw the ful trailers.

Necrule Paen
01-03-2008, 09:11 PM
I thought the real ending was much more awesome than this standard hollywood ending.

The one in which he is executed because he was unknowingly killing members of the new society and was named legend by them because of his ability to walk in the light. ;)

Wait, wait. I think I read that book. Is the new society popping pills to keep it at bay and when he going to his execution he mentions internally that the virus will eventually mutate to the point where the pills won't work anymore? If so, I had no idea, but it has been a number of years since I read that book.

And Mid that helicopter scene is a flashback to the evac when the virus went airborne.

Midknight
01-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Ah good.

I'd skimmed bits of the book and remember nothing other then some line that basically said what Necrule says above.

Roughly it was like, Vampires used to be feared and called legends because of their ability to kill during the night. So few of them, yet the entire world feared them even if they didn't think they were real. Then you flip things and a human becomes legend, killing during the day in a world of vampires.

Awesome title word play I thought, and something most folks would never pick up on. Come to think of it, it might've been a Cliff's Notes version of the book, I wouldn't of caught onto that normally myself either, lol.

Jon
01-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Minor Necro, just saw IAM this afternoon while waiting for the car to be repaired.

First of all, god damn it felt good for Will Smith to die in one of his movies. :D Not that I dislike him but at the end he's always alive, and this just was a great finish to the movie. When he called the dog Sam I was like 'wtf' because I had a dog named Sam when I was young. I figured it was probably a guy, and then BAMNIGGER! He calls her Samantha and..

"OMG WILL SMITH STOLE MY DOG!"

I enjoyed the bit when Neville mistook the (Shall we call him Alpha Mutant?) A.M moving into the sunlight for aggression when he was moving after his bitch. :P It was further punched home when the dude brought out a few dogs and set them lose after engineering a reverse trap for Neville.

And yeah, basically everyone in the theatre was internally screaming 'WAKE THE FUCK UP THE SUN'S ABOUT TO GO DOWN!' Sam's death was.. well done. Though I seriously doubt she could have taken one of those dogs down. :(

The CGI effects were a bit over done-- when he was cruising around in the begining it was obvious that the car was an effect.

Epic movie, never read the book but the urge to is there right now.

Rehio
01-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Finished the book a couple days ago. Completely different, almost a different story altogether.

The Duke
01-11-2008, 08:39 PM
FOR MIDKNIGHT

I just thought that I ought to let you know, the chopper scene isn't post-plague, its pre-plague; there are various flashbacks throughout the movie explaining about Neville's family and how the plague was started up.

madeyemoody
01-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Saw it on the first night, very good film, but like it was previously stated based on the previews you would never know it was a vampire flick. The same thing happened with Sweeney Todd nowhere in its advertisments did it mention it was a musical. Btw is Sweeney any good?

madeyemoody

Solomon
01-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Saw it on the first night, very good film, but like it was previously stated based on the previews you would never know it was a vampire flick. The same thing happened with Sweeney Todd nowhere in its advertisments did it mention it was a musical. Btw is Sweeney any good?

madeyemoody

Yeah, I had no idea this was a Vampire flick until I read it in these forums about half a week after I saw the movie itself.

On Sweeney Todd, it's a great movie. If you can see it, I suggest you do.

Jolersoer
01-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Great movie, I've seen it two times, once in the original version because there's nothing as good as the original voices of the actors, and the only thing I can say is wow.

Will smith acting a little mad is IMO great and well done and the scene with Fred was hilarious. A great movie that I will see again and I plan to read the book because some of the discussions here got me curious on it.

And the scene with when Samantha dies is also very good, the first time I was actually sad to see it, at least until my sister in the seat next to me started to cry, then I was just ashamed...

NightFox
01-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Good film, I saw it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The viewer can watch Smith's character mentally deteriorate over time until he doesn't even believe the other humans that he sees. The movie had some gritty realism in it, Smith didn't survive and mystically find the other humans, he died. Sam died, there was no miraculous recoverly. The character's death was a nice finishing touch.

Some good previews...I saw Jumper (Based on the books: Jumper, Reflex, and Jumper: Griffin's Story by Steven Gould). The books are fairly good, basically how a teen discovers he can teleports, and lives life on the edge. Said teen learns that actions are not without consequences and realizes that his ability can lead to struggles in the world. GoogleBooks has a 140 page preview of Jumper, but it leaves you off in a rather nasty spot.

Other decent trailer was Wanted, a graphic novel with Angelina Jolie and some guy I can't remember. Looks decent, some shooting action etc.

Cxjenious
01-12-2008, 04:54 PM
The zombies/vampires sucked (too much CGI, as was stated before). The acting and the story was good, and extra thumbs up for the spanish chick (I forget her name). She was in City of God, one of my fav. movies.

I expected Sam to die, since Neville was insane enough to risk death for a mannequin.

Eaglette
01-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Anna, I think.
I, personally, preferred the movie. The books was pretty good, too, but the movie was better- it's the kind of story you have to see to enjoy properly.
Or maybe it was just the dog. I like dogs.

Imperator Pesmerga
01-13-2008, 11:08 AM
It was a great movie, and though the last part when he met Anna sort of sucked, the ending made up for it. Very good movie.

EDIT: This was supposed to be the original ending but they changed it:
Taken from Wikipedia
The tone of the ending of the film was altered dramatically before the film's release, with the majority of the changes made to the standoff between Neville and the infected in his laboratory. Janek Sirrs recounts the original ending starting with the standoff, "At that point, Neville's - and the audience's - assumptions about the nature of these creatures are shown to be incorrect. We see that they have actually retained some of their humanity. There is a very important moment between the alpha male and Neville." David Schaub stated, "Then, when Neville finally turns the alpha female over to the alpha male, there is this little love moment between the two of them." The infected then retrieve the captured female and spare Neville's life. The original final shot follows Neville, Anna, and the boy as they cross the remnants of the George Washington Bridge in hopes of finding other survivors.

Link
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
EDIT: This was supposed to be the original ending but they changed it:
Taken from Wikipedia
The tone of the ending of the film was altered dramatically before the film's release, with the majority of the changes made to the standoff between Neville and the infected in his laboratory. Janek Sirrs recounts the original ending starting with the standoff, "At that point, Neville's - and the audience's - assumptions about the nature of these creatures are shown to be incorrect. We see that they have actually retained some of their humanity. There is a very important moment between the alpha male and Neville." David Schaub stated, "Then, when Neville finally turns the alpha female over to the alpha male, there is this little love moment between the two of them." The infected then retrieve the captured female and spare Neville's life. The original final shot follows Neville, Anna, and the boy as they cross the remnants of the George Washington Bridge in hopes of finding other survivors.

They made that alternate ending; just downloaded it on torrents *Did I say that? Oh, noes*.

Anyway, I liked this alternate ending better.