1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Eighth by lorien829 - T - H/Hr

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Cathal, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

Title: Eighth
    Author: lorien829
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Romance
    DLP Category: Hmm, I'd say it's either General or Romance
    Pairing: H/Hr
    Summary: Begins with Harry's quest for the Horcruxes and the Last Battle with Voldemort. The first defeat of Voldemort has some unimagined and inescapable consequences that continue even after his second defeat. Trying to move from canon, but will end up HHr. Now
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2607390/1/Eighth

I thought this fic wasn't half-bad. It starts off as your average Horcrux-hunt story but goes beyond cliched "Voldemort died and everyone lived happily ever after".
    The author did a good job portraying the characters... and yes, Harry still is a self-loathing moron but at least his idiocy was well-written. The actual romance part was well-paced and nicely written too.
    I also liked the fact that Snape went to Azkaban even after it was proven that Dumbles asked him to finish him off. I mean, it's still a murder, no matter what reasons the greasball had.

Hmm. 4.2/5, I guess.

P.S. I should also warn you the story starts off as H/G. He obviously dumps her.
    P.P.S. Oh and there is some mild angst inside.

2. Cathal

C'mon folks. 257 views and not a single opinion?

3. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Most likely people looked at the plot and just left without even reading the story. Anything farther than HBP turns me off instantly. The fic sticking with canon!Harry is even worse.

Sorry to say, but I don't plan to read this even though you say it has good writing. If I just read to look at good writing styles than I wouldn't be reading Harry Potter fanfiction. I look for plots that interest me. This isn't cutting it.

EDIT: And not to mini-mod, but there is never a good reason to double-post. If no one posts after over 200 views than they don't plan to.

4. Cathal

Thanx for giving the reasons at least.
    Oh, and sorry for double posting.

5. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've read the first five or so chapters and it's pretty basic. It's cannon harry who has no talents and just doesn't think. Keeps crying about occulmancy and what not.

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Occulmancy? Is that Occlumency misspelled, and is it on your part or the author's?

7. Cathal

Don't recall him crying about occlumency a lot. He mentions it a couple of times but that's it. Oh, and he WILL have talents.

8. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

I have to agree with you there.

"Eighth" is actually bookmarked in the favourites somewhere, but I think I'll delete it. I've read more Horcrux stories than you can count - and every time I get maybe two or three chapters in. I hated HBP, and I hate the Horcruxes just as much. It's a bad idea, and makes for bad fanfiction.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  9. Helius

Helius Third Year

I only get an average of 1 chapter in.

Not really - It's just the way fanfic authors and JKR wrote it that puts me off.

As for the story, it's the usual cliched canon Harry. 3/5

10. Cathal

Hmm, I guess I'm just more immune to some cliches than most of the people. :) (Doesn't mean I like them.)
    And I don't think that horcruxes were orginally a bad idea. It's just too overused. Someone needs to come up with a new source of immortality for Voldie.

11. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

This is a really old fic. I do remember someone on DLP recommending it, and I have similarly recommended this to others looking for a post-HBP H/Hr fic.

I liked it though. The romance wasn't too rushed IMO, which is always a good thing, especially when it comes to H/Hr.

4/5

12. Tsukiyomi-chan

Tsukiyomi-chan Squib

I have to agree, the only HBP story I have liked was "A Second Chance at Life" by Miranda Flairgold on FF.net. All the others just lack for any number of reasons. Mostly its because they have a canon, whiny, talentless Harry who gets by on luck alone. I got about half-way thru the 6th chapter and just had to stop. I only made it that far because I was hoping for something.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2488754/1/A_Second_Chance_at_Life

13. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

Just a final note - if you start reading a completed post-HBP H/Hr story, just skip to the end.

Reading it should tell you whether or not it's good enough to trawl through the whole thing.

14. Guest_

Guest_ Third Year

What? If the ending's good, haven't you just spoiled the fic for yourself? That's a lose-lose situation there? Unless you were implying that all post-HBP H/Hr stories aren't worth reading?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  15. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

Something like that. It's just in my experience that all Post-HBP H/Hr stories end with either Harry and Hermione happily married, with children, and buddy-buddy with the Weasleys, or Harry and Hermione are happily married, with children, and are estranged from the Weasleys - yet have found family with the Grangers/Longbottoms/Lovegoods/etc.

I don't like reading a 200,000 word fic, if the ending is always the same.

16. Alec_potter

Alec_potter Squib

Well...I have read this one. Pretty decent read in my exp. (which isn't much to begin with)....
    so 3.5/5

17. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

It's alright. As a rule, I try to ignore cliches when reading, and this story isn't half bad if you ignore them. I'll go with a 3.5/5 for now.