1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Survey for Ninth Grade Thesis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lutris, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I'm doing a thesis paper on the End of the World.

That's as blunt as I can put it.

Here's the survey.

Hope you guys answer...

Survey: Ryoto Aoki’s Thesis: Topic: The End of the World

Grade:__ Age:__ Gender M F

As you may or may not know, At Nishimachi Intl. School it is customary for the Ninth Grade Japanese First Language class to write a thesis paper for Graduation. Each of the students pick a topic to write about, and I have chosen the End of the World as mine.

Even if you think it is improbable, it is the truth that this world is heading to its destruction minute by minute. So, without much ado, I would appreciate it if you would answer to this survey.

There are multiple choice questions, and short answer ones. Please write the appropiate answers.

Q1 Do you think the world will end at some point?
    A) Yes B)No

Q2 If you answered A) Yes, do you think this will occur by forces of nature? By human hands? Or something else entirely? Also, specify if you perceive the end of the world by the end of the Earth, the Universe as a whole, or just in the eyes of humans.
    1) Earth 2) the Universe 3) For humans

A)Forces of nature
    B)Human hands
    C)Something else

Q3 For Q2’s answers 1), 2), and 3), please elaborate.

Q4 For people who have answered A) for Q2, please elaborate on your answer (I.E. Meteor collision, world disasters, etc.) and explain your reasoning.

Q5 For people who have answered B) for Q2, please elaborate on your answer (I.E. World war, collapse of society, etc.) and explain your reasoning.

Q6 For people who have answered C) for Q2, please elaborate on your answer (I.E. Extra-terrestial invasion, religious apocalypse, supernatural forces, etc.) and explain your reasoning.

Q7 This is a question on society. If events continue as they are occuring now (I.E. Bush’s Second Gulf War, Middle East terrorism, Political squabblings, etc.) how do you think that this will affect the world?

Q8 Explain.

Q9 What do you think of the world’s current leaders? Do you think that they could bring an end to society?

These next questions are on religion. If you prefer not to answer, please check this line. __

Q10 Do you practice a religion? If so, please specify.

Q11 In your religion, do the teachings include the end of the world?

Q12 Do you believe this?

Q13 Please elaborate.

Thank you for your cooperation.

2. Blackstar

Blackstar Second Year

Grade: 12 Age: 18 Gender M

As you may or may not know, At Nishimachi Intl. School it is customary for the Ninth Grade Japanese First Language class to write a thesis paper for Graduation. Each of the students pick a topic to write about, and I have chosen the End of the World as mine.

Even if you think it is improbable, it is the truth that this world is heading to its destruction minute by minute. So, without much ado, I would appreciate it if you would answer to this survey.

There are multiple choice questions, and short answer ones. Please write the appropiate answers.

A) Yes

Q2 If you answered A) Yes, do you think this will occur by forces of nature? By human hands? Or something else entirely? Also, specify if you perceive the end of the world by the end of the Earth, the Universe as a whole, or just in the eyes of humans.

3) For humans

A)Forces of nature

I do believe that in the future a natural disaster will occur that will plunge our age into darkness and eventually wipe out most of if not all of the human race but it would leave the Planet intact though changed significantly

Q4 For people who have answered A) for Q2, please elaborate on your answer (I.E. Meteor collision, world disasters, etc.) and explain your reasoning.

Natural Disaster in my eyes would be the most plausible cause [ next to human error ] to an ending of the world due to the current state of decline in the seasons, such as the increase in temperature that would certainly cause a disastrous rise in sea level or due to the certainly believable theory of a certain volcanic island in the south pacific i believe [ the name escapes me] the theory is that if this volcanoe were to erupt it would cause a significant portion of that Island to fall into the ocean thus creating a tidal wave of epic proportions that could possible wipe out the entire East Coast

\

Q7 This is a question on society. If events continue as they are occuring now (I.E. Bush’s Second Gulf War, Middle East terrorism, Political squabblings, etc.) how do you think that this will affect the world?

This would inevitably cause a negative effect on the world

Q8 Explain.

If gone unchecked this would prove to be extremely negative and could possible brew worldwide chaos which would affect this planets "super powers" or those that merely hold a firm grasp on their weapons of mass destruction especially if one of the current countries were to lose one of there WoMD's to a potential terrorrist attack this would prove entirely too fatal

Q9 What do you think of the world’s current leaders? Do you think that they could bring an end to society?

Anyone of these leaders could bring an end to society its a potential that lies within every person on earth and those in a position of power are even more suceptible to it due to the fact that they DO have the power to do so

Hope that helps you out. I remember having to do projects of this sort:(

3. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

Grade:Not at school Age:17 Gender M

A) Yes

Q2 1) Earth

B)Human hands

Q3 I think Earth may well be destroyed. Why? Another World War.
    In the second World War, as you all know, America nuked Japan. Now in the 21st century most countries worth a damn have a nuclear weapon stockpile. If a World War does breakout you can bet your life they'll end up using them.

Q5 World War + Nuclear weapons = nuclear winter.

Q7 Alot of the muslim nations will feel anger towards the West, and they could escalate things dramatically.

Q8 They could start bombings more frequently, even use those suitcase nukes that the Russians allegedly sold to the taliban. America (if attacked) would retaliate by nuking Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan.

Q9 Anybody could.

(tick)

4. Aura

Aura Seventh Year

Grade: college Age:17 Gender M

A) Yes

3) For humans

A)Forces of nature

Global warming, polar ice caps melting, deforestation causing floods... All i can think atm.

The world is slowly being destroyed mostly because of us humans. CFC causes holes in the ozone layer, making the polar ice caps melt faster. I think i read something about the world's oceans rising slowly. Think waterworld.

Badly.

Q8 Explain.

There will be more :( people around.

Most of them suck. Anybody corrupt could if they go unchecked.

Roman Catholic

Yup. Says so in the book of revelation.

Q12 Do you believe this?

Nope.

Q13 Please elaborate.

God is a loving and merciful God(at least that's what they teach us.) If he really loves us, then the end of the world would and should not happen.

Q10-13 made me feel like i was back in high school... Hope this helps you out. Interesting topic, i must say. Good luck with writing your thesis.

5. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Grade:Sophmore in College Age:19 Gender M

A) Yes

2) the Universe

A)Forces of nature

They say that the universe is constantly expanding outward. As it expands, it is getting colder. Eventually, life won't be supported. Everything will be cold and dead. I think the EARTH could be destroyed, but people ultimately live. I base this on the fact that we are clever a species who will take some people and go to another planet. When the Universe dies, there will be no more planets.

The Earth doesn't matter to me. The Natural disaster that will end all life IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. Expansion, so simple, yet unpreventable and enormous.

Q5 For people who have answered B) for Q2, please elaborate on your answer (I.E. World war, collapse of society, etc.) and explain your reasoning.

Q6 For people who have answered C) for Q2, please elaborate on your answer (I.E. Extra-terrestial invasion, religious apocalypse, supernatural forces, etc.) and explain your reasoning.

The fall of the American Empire. America will Fall like the Great Romans who came before.

Q8 Explain.
    The Romans were the greatest Empire in History. In terms of culture and knowledge they were astoundingly successful. But eventually they were conquered and defeated. THe same thing will happen to the U.S.

The Current crop of leaders is terrible. POtentially they could bring about the end of the world. I doubt they actually will, but they could.

These next questions are on religion. If you prefer not to answer, please check this line. __

Yes. Judaism

Yep.

Q12 Do you believe this?
    Somewhat.

Q13 Please elaborate.
    If the World ends by natural means, it was God's intention for it to end. And I like to think that there is a God. Truthfully, I'm agnostic so take that as you will.

6. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

Grade:College Age:19 Gender: M

A) Yes

1) Earth

B)Human hands

We take what we need with out a second thought...its in our nature.

First we have the mother of all wars.In that war we lose our govt. This just makes un into monkey with big guns.

Most of the world will have an indirect effect.By most of the world i mean, whatever countries are not directly involved with the issue.

Q8 Explain.

The indirect ones will see a flux in their econ. while the direct ones have bigger problems such as war, econ shifts, loss of resources, and so on.

I don't like the current world leaders but i think even a good leader can bring society to an end.

Yes. I am Hindu

Q11 In your religion, do the teachings include the end of the world? Yes...well more of a reset by my understanding.

Q12 Do you believe this?
    "All things created must come to an end."

Q13 Please elaborate.
    Everthing ends at some point.

7. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Grade: Mature Adult. No, really!

Q1 Do you think the world will end at some point? A) Yes B)No

A) Yes

1) Earth 2) the Universe 3) For humans

A)Forces of nature
    B)Human hands
    C)Something else

I was referring to this planet, Earth, and our civilization as we know it. We may or may not have successfully been able to live off the planet, or colonized other planets. Just like we may or may not all die on this planet when it goes. But eventually it will. It could be a disaster of our own making, or merely forces of nature, i.e. an ecological shift/change/disaster beyond our control. But I consider our existance an integral part of this planet and it's nature. Human nature is more specific and considered instinct or the excuse for why we do things, but we are all a part of the creatures here, and how the planet adapts and molds to us as much as we adapt and mold to it. That's why for me A and B sort of blend together into something that could be C. If our inability to conserve means we run out of fossil fuels or resources here, then that too could be A, B, or C. Or a nuclear air strike somewhere evaporates the ozone layer turning the entire planet into unprotected mutations. Of course I don't know enough about the science or possibilities, but I don't predict A, B, or C over any of the others.

I do not believe existence will end. If you subscribe to the universe referring to simply this universe, then it is possible it could. Mankind I'm almost certain will end as we know it. The hope is that it will change and adapt into other life forms. The planet also, almost certain it will end. I mean we have eternity to get around to accidentally destroying this planet.

Meteor collision is highly possible and a reasonable one. A world war is possible if all the wrong people get all the wrong weapons. But I find this one less likely to destroy the planet. Extra-terrestial invasion I consider possible, but our only concept of life forms and even those sci-fi writers make-up are all based off of human nature. The idea we're the only life form to ever to evolve to this point is unlikely, but the truth is we could just as easily be the first to evolve to this point. I do not fear nor believe that God made this world and he will choose to destroy it. That there is a superior being controlling and commanding all. I suppose that's similar to the world ending in that, it cannot be proven false, only true. But the concept of God, as it has evolved among mankind, is an invention of man. It is a man's need and desire to believe in a higher cause and purpose. And it is something most people will turn to, when they are dying, because they need that hope for something more. God was the explanation before we learned how things happen and why. We still don't have the answers, but as we get them, God will become the answer less and less. Some will always need to believe in him, but I'm not the type who ever will. Intelligent people can argue otherwise, belief in a higher power or powers is not stupid. Just not a belief I share.

Very little. Bush is a cancer on the United States imho, but mankind as a whole, is just a small blip on the Earth.

Q8 Explain.

This planet has existed for millions of years. Mankind is barely ten thousand years evolved from apes. Dinosaurs lived for millions of years before an asteroid came and wiped out all life form larger than 55 kilos or something like that. Blanketing the world in darkness. Dinosaurs were bigger, tougher, and one of the most evolved and capable sorts of creatures. They didn't have our intelligence though. Nevertheless, if dinosaurs ruled for a couple million years, mankind has existed for less than 1% as long. Our personal squabbles of money, oil, resources, and idiot presidents matter practically nothing to the planet or to mankind. Unless we all completely screw it up.

They're the ones the majority has chosen, or the ones strong enough to remain in power and oppress their opposition. The only one I can fairly comment on whether he represents my nation's interests is Bush as I'm an American. And Bush is easily the worst president in my lifetime. Reagan was better, his father was better, Clinton was better, Carter was better even though I barely know his politics. Clinton was turning our nation around and improving things. Bush is not only closed-minded and I disagree with just about every political stance he holds, but the man is the dumbest and most incapable leader our nation has had. Maybe ever. The fact that the majority of the country supports him, is a sign we're all really stupid.

Nope. Grew up slightly Roman Catholic, going to church semi-frequently. Occasionally went to protestant church's mass. A fair amount of christianity. But never believed in it. Haven't gone in many years.

I think the Bible discusses armageddon, but not my beliefs.

Q12 Do you believe this?
    Nope.

Q13 Please elaborate.
    Not much of a believer.

Thank you for your cooperation.
    You're welcome.

8. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Your questions are not entirely clear, but I'll try...

Grade: College Grad ;)

Yes. Chances are good.

We'll kill ourselves and most of the other forms of higher life on the planet.

We're going to kill ourselves.

Our species will be wiped out by Human ineptness and shortsightedness. Eather lack of concern for the enviroment or playing with things we best shouldn't, like Biological weapons, will kill us and likly most other higer lifeforms on earth.

Our culture is based on consumption. We consume and consume without any concern for any kind of social or enviromental ballance. There will come a time when there's nothing more to consume, when we've killed the world...

That or well use some of these mega-horrible terror weapons we have around, like Bioweapons or nukes.

Yes, but honestly, its a sign of the problem and not the cause.

Nothing more to say, really...

Its a more deeply rooted problem, but yes, any idiot with access to Thermonuclear Weapons could bring an end to society

Not an easy answer...

Spiritual Humanism with a reality model based on Monistic Idealism, and a hearty and deeply felt respect for the teachings and leaders of the great world religions.

No...

9. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

Grade: 8 Age: 13 Gender: F

A) Yes

3)For humans

A)Forces of Nature

I believe the universe will still be around and maybe even Earth but it's definite that the human race will end sometime.

Some natural disaster will occur, destroying all humans but leaving Earth intact. Whether it be a giant earthquake (like the Indian Ocean one but bigger,) the oceans rising from the melting polar caps and everyone drowning, or some other unforseeable disaster.

Most of the world (those not directly involved) will sit back and watch to see what happens.

Q8 Explain.

America is a super power of the world and it does have nuclear weapons. If anything, America will turn in on its self and collapse. The rest of the world will watch to see what happens and only join in if they can get something out of it.

All leaders have the potential to bring an end to society. That's not to say that today's leaders will or the leaders 500 years from now. Today's leaders aren't all that great but at least they aren't trying to actively destroy the word.

These next questions are on religion. If you prefer not to answer, please check this line. _X_

10. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Grade:11 Age:17 Gender Male

A) Yes

1) Earth
    C)Something Else
    Q3 For Q2’s answers 1), 2), and 3), please elaborate. I believe that eventually the sun will expand and engulf the Earth and then later burn out and super nova effectively destroying this solar system, but not the entire universe. Will human life still be around then? Improbable, but hopefully we will have moved away to a different solar system.

Q6 For people who have answered C) for Q2, please elaborate on your answer (I.E. Extra-terrestial invasion, religious apocalypse, supernatural forces, etc.) and explain your reasoning. Sun expanding because stars grow in size as they age and the super nova. Would the matter from the sun eventually reaccumulate and form a new star? Likely, but not for a long while.

Not good. eventually Earth will be draine

Q8 Explain. Eventually Earth will be drained of all natural resources and will be quite useless or a barren waste land.

Q9 What do you think of the world’s current leaders? Do you think that they could bring an end to society? They are all pretty much morons. Yes, but I doubt it.

Trinity Lutheran-Christian

I believe so. 4 horsemen of apocalypse?
    Q12 Do you believe this?
    Not really
    Q13 Please elaborate.

I believ God would spare us and if the world was so bad that he wouldn't then we don't deserve to live.

11. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Grade: not in america, but im in S4 Age: 15 Gender: M

Q1) A

Q2) 3 B

Q3) In my opinion before the world actually is destroyed it will die in the eyes of humans, eitehr because pollution has made it impossible to breathe the air or grow crops etc, or through nuclear/bio warfare destroying the atmosphere but no the earth itself. I do know that one day the earth itself will be destroyed, but I think my scenario will play out first.

Q4) NA

Q5) Eitehr through general pollution, world warfare, or through "over grazing" of the worlds resources. it is part of human nature to not realise somehting is wrong until it really is very wrong, or at least it is in most cases. Thus pollution will continue to increase until we can't breathe outside without having aheart attack, countries will continue to squable and fight, and countries will continue to spend more money on warfare equipment than on finding new unexhaustable ways to power themselves.

Q6) NA

Q7) It will only speed the worlds demise

Q8) People will die, people will kill. Eventually the wrong person will kill the wrong person in the wrong way and everything will go kaput.

Q9) In the main yes, some are half decent I'm sure, but they happen to be incharge of smal and/or weaker countries. The folk incharge of the big counrties are complete ninnies and have their heads stuck up each otehrs arses.

Q10) No I don't practice an organised religion, but I do believe there is soemthing greater out there. though he/she/it has a very sick sense of humour.

Q11) NA

Q12) NA

Q13) NA

12. Aba4th

Aba4th First Year

Grade: 9th

Q1: A) Yes

Q2: I think that Jesus will come back an raise the dead, so god will be the end of the world just like he was the begining. I think it really won't be an end it will be the close of one way of life and the opening of another.

C)Something else

Q3: I did

Q4: n/a

Q5: n/a

Q6: religious apocalypse

Q7: I think everything will go into anarchy. The golden age of America will be over, democracy will die. Women will lose the right to have abortions. Prohibition will become worldwide. Prostitution will be illegal in all areas. Everyone will have some kind of STD. Everyone will look at going to church the same way as they look at going to a fast food resturant.

Q8: The world is full of idiots.

Q9: I think the world's current leaders are a bunch of dumb asses. They only care about themselves and their own personal gain.

Q10: Greek Orthodox

Q11: Yes

Q12: Yes

Q13: We believe in the son of god. He will return and judge us all.

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Grade:Graduated Age:24 Gender: M

A) Yes

Q2
    1) Earth

A)Forces of nature and B)Human hands

Q2A) B/c the sun is a star. It will gradually expand, swallowing our planet, but before then it's closeless with heat our planet up to such a degree that it'll be destroyed long before it's literally swallowed by the sun.

Q2B)B/c we're screwing up the balance of life on the planet with over chemicalization, and we'll eventually damage something beyond repair, or nuke ourselves.

Q4)The sun expanding, see previous. It's a fact that it will happen eventually.

Q5) Economic collape, overpopulation, etc.

Q6 N/a

Q7 If we(America) don't stop messing with the Middle East, some nutjob is going to get a nuke and nail us. Hard. It'll happen eventually no matter what, we're utterly evil in their eyes simply because we worship the exact same god, just in slightly differing ways. There's other reasons, but f you remove all of them, we're still infidels, and their holy book tells them to kill infidels to get tons of phat lewt in their paradise.

Q9 No, the world leaders will have little to do with mass destruction in the future I'd imagine. We should be more worried about splinter cells behind our lines, that aren't afraid to die for their cause. Look at what a small group of terrorists did to the WTC with half arsed planning and some rudimentary weapons. They caused god knows how much damage, and killed so many with such a simple idea. I'm much more scared of that some some third world nation deciding they want to nuke a small area.

No. Most religons are utterly screwed, and the folks that follow them are sheep. They place blind faith in books that contradict themselves constantly, but they ignore the problems, b/c following something makes them feel better about their pathetic life, if they can simply pray for forgiveness, and the sin of them beating their wife/son/ and their soul is cleansed. Going to a building with a head of church who is often pulling in the most money per year, living in a free house, tax free, driving the nicest car, when he's supposed to be dirt poor so he's not tempted by worldy goods disgusts me. Multimillion dollar enormous churches 2 miles away from a homeless camp in the woods disgust me. Most do not practice what they preach, they merely attend to feel less guilty.

My own personal one - Yes.

Q12 Do you believe this? Yes

Q13 Please elaborate. It's fact, it will happen. Whether some strange old man who was an absentee God shows up and forgives everyone or casts them into hell, or the sun swallows up the planet in a hundred thousand years, it will happen.

Alot of those questions could be combined, it'd make it easier on you as well.