1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Shezza's Spell Compedium IV: ROUGH

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Shezza, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

A/N: This is the first WIP draft of a spell list I'm doing up. So far, I've got List I and II, old spells from Future Remapped that I've never used again. As you can tell with the unedited ones, they're crap, so I'm in the process of renaming and re-organizing them. Sorry about the font colour- everything turned out black. Sorry about the format as well, but I cbf fixing it.

Spell Compendium IV
    A brief summary of offensive, defensive and other useful spells
    By Shezza88

Offensive Magic

Curses:
    Mental:

Incantation: Somniometus

Effect:
    A curse designed to replicate at least part of the effects of a Dementor. The victim will be drawn into a daydream of terror and dread, his very worst fears and memories playing before his very eyes.

Visual:
    A black mist flowing from the wand to hover around the victims head. The victim is likely to freeze in terror, attempt to flee his or her delusions or attempt to attack his or her delusions.

Notes:
    ·Wizards and witches with a high mental resistance (such as one versed in the art of Occlumency) are likely to be able to shrug off the spell
    ·This spell can be blocked by the most standard of shield charms, so speed and surprise are of the essence

Incantation: Sopordormius

Effect:
    A spell that, once being inhaled by its victim, puts it into a deep sleep almost reminiscent of the Draught of Living Death. Respiratory functions are minute and prolonged exposure to this curse will lead to oxygen starvation of the brain

Visual:
    A white fog billowing out from the wand. The victim’s muscles will stiffen once exposed and will fall sleep within the minute.

Notes:

·Wizards and witches with an average level of mental resistance may succumb tot his spell initially, but will resist and eventually dispel it during their unconsciousness
    ·This spell can be blocked by medium-level shielding spells. Because of its mist-like state, it is unable to be deflected or parried
    ·Victims of this spell are sometimes mistaken for as dead and the occasional wizard or witch may dispel the spell only to find themselves awakening to the insides of a coffin

Incantations: Excracia

Effect:
    A terrible pain-causing curse that causes the victim to feels as if he is being hung, drawn and quartered- and not necessarily in that order.

Visual:
    A flash of sickly yellow light, often accompanied by a resounding snap. The victim will then proceed to act as if he or she is being hanged, drawn or quartered, often clutching throat, stomach or limbs with their hands.

Notes:

·A spell that has regularly occupied a high place on the Ministry’s list of prohibited spell since the early nineteenth century
    ·Victims who are exposed to the curse in great quantities will often suffer mental trauma and may suffer one of the following three: respiratory problems, motor loss in the limbs or frequent stomach pains

Incantations: Congelo doleo

Effect:
    A petrifaction spell, the victim’s brain is attacked, causing muscles to spasm, harden and lock into place. The victim will fall into a deep coma that can only be treated through mandrake root and a wide number of medicinal spells.

Visual:
    A flash of bright, golden light that emits from the casters wand with a shrill shrieking noise, emitting from the wand like a powerful torch beam. Anybody who tries to gaze into the light for an average time of three seconds is inflicted with the curse.

Notes:

·The length of time for the curse to take the desired effect depends on the mental resistance of the victim. The width and brightness of the spell also depends on the caster’s power and skill
    ·Although this spell cannot be blocked by any standard shielding charm, it is a simple matter of blocking ones eyes or conjuring/ducking behind a physical object to obscure view from the light. It is not uncommon for a wizard or witch to place themselves under the conjunctivitis curse and press forward while the attacker is otherwise occupied
    ·The spell can be held for a maximum of thirty-four seconds. As such, criminals may often use it to secure a narrow escape route

Incantations: Ventungo

Effect:
    The victim is struck with a sudden agonizing sensation in their lower abdomen, feeling as though they had been stabbed.

Visual:
    There are no visual effects to this spell. It is characterized by a wand movement, where the attacker stabs the wand in the direction of the victim and rotates his wand one-hundred and eighty degrees

Notes:

·The range limit for this spell is a maximum 9.41 meters, and the closer the wizard, the stronger the effect
    ·Repeated exposure to this spell can lead to persistent stomach cramps for approximately fifteen months
    ·Wizards and witches with a high mental resistance (such as one versed in the art of Occlumency) are likely to be able to shrug off the spell
    ·Medium level shielding charms will block this spell. It cannot be deflected or parried.

Physical:

Incantations: Caecus

Effect:
    This curse obscures all visual, auditory, olfactory and tactile senses until counter-curse is applied

Visual:
    Several strands of violet light form and wrap themselves around the victims head. Victims may experiences piercing sensations to eyes, ears, nose and tongue- sensations that will become increasingly painful the longer the curse is applied

Notes:

·The spell is can be blocked by low level shielding charms and can be deflected and parried with ease
    ·This spell is popular with Aurors during legitimate duels with suspects and not-so-legitimate interrogations with said suspects

Incantations: Imbersonitus

Effect:
    When the spell is first activated, it will absorb any and all nearby acoustic energy. An orb of collected sonic energy is formed and thrown at the victim. When the caster disengages from the spell, the orb will detonate at its present location in a concussive wave of sonic force, disorientating and physically throwing the victim aside.

Visual:
    The orb appears in the form of glowing azure magic. The air may ripple during transit as the orb continues to collect nearby acoustic energy even moments before detonation. No thermal energy is expended during impact

Notes:

·The power and effect of the spell varies on the amount of acoustic energy it is able to collect, both in its latency period and during its transit period. Depending on the power and skill of the caster, more than one orb may be formed
    ·A very popular spell used by Aurors during riots, especially against large, noisy crowds. Some side-effects include loss of balance and temporary deafness.

Incantations: Gelictus

Effect:
    The victim will experiences the first symptoms of frostbite at the area upon which they were struck, including the sudden onset of pain. As a degenerative curse, the longer the counter-curse is withheld, the more serious the frostbite will become. Later stages include the onset of gangrene, which leaves the victim open to a host of infectious diseases

Visual:
    A shimmering pulse of hazy white and blue light that is produced from the tip of the casters wand.

Notes:

·Although it takes less than half-an-hour for the curse to degenerate into the later stages, all symptoms can be easily healed by a licensed Healer with no permanent. Amputation is not necessary for gangrene-affected limbs

Silpormo:
    Holy elemental spell. A strong banishing charm.
    Zenkirolo:
    Sends sharp silver shards at a person.
    Fetirx
    : Sends a streak of foul magic that rots away at flesh.
    Bendemiopo:
    Sends a streak of Blue magic at somebody that exploded on impact.
    Acidica Mentala:
    Sends a stream of acid at an enemy
    Refgra:
    Bone twister curse. Very painful
    Electrika:
    Sends a bolt of electricity at somebody.
    Weremando:
    Gives three degree burns
    Antere:
    Pounding spell. Pounds objects with large blows.
    Machina:
    Sends a rapid-fire wave of thin pink pricks of magic. One is a little sting, One Hundred hurts like hell.
    Tente:
    Breaks bones.
    Croitoso:
    Slice head off.
    Impliation:
    Stabs somebody with a spike.
    Ocular Reducto:
    Explodes an eyeball.
    Osum Crema:
    Melts bones.
    Morendo:
    Snaps bone in three different places.
    Caerimonia:
    Raises the temperature of blood to boiling point.

Offensive Transfiguration and Conjuration

Serpini:
    Transfigure spells into a snake.
    Ashrenk:
    Swaps left leg for right arm.
    Minikilo:
    Turns somebodies hand into a paw.
    Ablivioro:
    creates golden spear-like exploding curse.
    Izicus:
    Turns ground into a sleet of ice.
    Izicus Politi:
    Transfigures a curse into ice.
    Deletrius:
    Disintegrating charm.
    Syre pil:
    Sends a torrent of acid at somebody.
    Stien Skulptor:
    Turns something to stone.
    Mollicion:
    Removes somebodies bones.
    XXXXXXXXX:
    Makes the target explode from the inside out.

Ward and Shield Breaking

Rallentando: Shield breaker charm, destroys shields.
    Oblivona:
    Curse designed to smash things down, usually shields.

Defensive Magic
    Magical Shields
    Astempe:
    Forms a bronze shield that blocks magical attacks. Very powerful.
    Shieldumu:
    Conjures a golden shield. Good for blocking elemental spells.

Physical Shields
    Astemi:
    Forms golden shield that deflects magical attacks only.

Counter-Curses
    Miliopo
    : Sends a streak of golden light that nullifies Dark Curses

Deflection, Parrying and Environmental
    Quienti:
    Creates an invisible spell that connects your wand with a physical object. By moving your wand, you can move it.
    Tente:
    By swinging your wand diagonally, you can absorb a curse in your wand and sent it back at the caster.

Temporal*
    Tempus Ostriulla:
    Freezes an object in time.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  2. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Interesting.

Is this[going to be] just a list of spells you have thought of for this purpose or is it somekind of list of spells you have used/plan to use in your Denarian/Resistance storylines?

Just curious.

3. Shezza

It is a record of all the spells used in my stories, from the old Future Remapped to the latest Denarian Knight. I have already copied and transcribed the spells from the Denarian Series- they just need editting

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Are you we allowed to use your spells, properly accreditting their creation to you?

5. Shezza

Indeed. That was the general purpose of this compendium, to help those who can't be bothered writing up their own spells. I try to leave a lot of the spells intentionally vague in some areas, as to allow other writers a degree of flexibility

6. Andro

It's official. You're the patron god of Harry Potter spells.

7. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

We needs more temporal spells, Shezza. Brilliant work though. :D

8. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    The one thing that have repeatedly noticed with spell compilations such as this is that they always seem to be comprised of magic that is intended for attack or defense. Another thing I have noticed is that rarely do you see spells derived from other languages, as if Latin is the sole basis for all incantations. I personally would like to see some language variety with my spells, and spells other then just attack and defense.

Perhaps a spell on how best to shave those otherwise hard to reach places? Just a suggestion.

But aside from that, well down on your spell list Shezza. Look forward to seeing more of it, and reading more of your stories.

9. Shezza

The reason my spells are used for attack or defence is because I'm mostly transposing them out of my various stories over the years, and most of them are taking directly from the fight scenes. Then I modify then a little, make a lot of the earlier ones a little less cliche, and whola.

Maybe I should put 'Battle Compendium'?

I use latin for the basis of all my spells because a) JKR does it so it's got roots in canon, b) it sounds cool, and c) I can't be bothered looking up others.

10. Andro

Update soon, lol.

Never thought that could be applied outside of fics.

11. Shezza

This is the completed section of Offensive Mental and Physical Curses- the latter being the biggest section of the entire Compendium. I've still got Offensive Transfiguration and Conjuration to go before I move onto the Defensive Section, but I thought I'd get the opinion of the few who are interested with the revised section.

Frankly, I have no idea how to set it out right. The colour is always coming out black, the font goes small, bullet points half-work or fuck up completely. I'll look into it and hope that the next time I post, I can do it right.

Spell Compendium IV
    A brief summary of offensive, defensive and other useful spells
    By Shezza88

Offensive Magic

Curses:

Category: Mental: Curses that inflict a wide variety of mental trauma upon the victim, affecting only the brain and the mind and causing no physical trauma

Incantation: Somniometus
    Effect: A curse designed to replicate at least part of the effects of a Dementor. The victim will be drawn into a daydream of terror and dread, his very worst fears and memories playing before his very eyes.
    Visual: A black mist flowing from the wand to hover around the victims head. The victim is likely to freeze in terror, attempt to flee his or her delusions or attempt to attack his or her delusions.
    Notes:
    ·This spell can be blocked by the most standard of shield charms, so speed and surprise are of the essence

Incantation: Sopordormius
    Effect: A spell that, once being inhaled by its victim, puts it into a deep sleep almost reminiscent of the Draught of Living Death. Respiratory functions are minute and prolonged exposure to this curse will lead to oxygen starvation of the brain
    Visual: A white fog billowing out from the wand. The victim’s muscles will stiffen once exposed and will fall sleep within the minute.
    Notes:
    ·Wizards and witches with an average level of mental resistance may succumb tot his spell initially, but will resist and eventually dispel it during their unconsciousness
    ·This spell can be blocked by medium-level shielding spells. Because of its mist-like state, it is unable to be deflected or parried
    ·Victims of this spell are sometimes mistaken for as dead and the occasional wizard or witch may dispel the spell only to find themselves awakening to the insides of a coffin

Incantation: Excracia
    Effect: A terrible pain-causing curse that causes the victim to feels as if he is being hung, drawn and quartered- and not necessarily in that order.
    Visual: A flash of sickly yellow light, often accompanied by a resounding snap. The victim will then proceed to act as if he or she is being hanged, drawn or quartered, often clutching throat, stomach or limbs with their hands.
    Notes:
    ·A spell that has regularly occupied a high place on the Ministry’s list of prohibited spell since the early nineteenth century
    ·Victims who are exposed to the curse in great quantities will often suffer mental trauma and may suffer one of the following three: respiratory problems, motor loss in the limbs or frequent stomach pains

Incantation: Congelo doleo
    Effect: A petrifaction spell, the victim’s brain is attacked, causing muscles to spasm, harden and lock into place. The victim will fall into a deep coma that can only be treated through mandrake root and a wide number of medicinal spells.
    Visual: A flash of bright, golden light that emits from the casters wand with a shrill shrieking noise, emitting from the wand like a powerful torch beam. Anybody who tries to gaze into the light for an average time of three seconds is inflicted with the curse.
    Notes:
    ·The length of time for the curse to take the desired effect depends on the mental resistance of the victim. The width and brightness of the spell also depends on the caster’s power and skill
    ·Although this spell cannot be blocked by any standard shielding charm, it is a simple matter of blocking ones eyes or conjuring/ducking behind a physical object to obscure view from the light. It is not uncommon for a wizard or witch to place themselves under the conjunctivitis curse and press forward while the attacker is otherwise occupied
    ·The spell can be held for a maximum of thirty-four seconds. As such, criminals may often use it to secure a narrow escape route

Incantation: Ventungo
    Effect: The victim is struck with a sudden agonizing sensation in their lower abdomen, feeling as though they had been stabbed.
    Visual: There are no visual effects to this spell. It is characterized by a wand movement, where the attacker stabs the wand in the direction of the victim and rotates his wand one-hundred and eighty degrees
    Notes:
    ·The range limit for this spell is a maximum 9.41 meters, and the closer the wizard, the stronger the effect
    ·Repeated exposure to this spell can lead to persistent stomach cramps for approximately fifteen months
    ·Medium level shielding charms will block this spell. It cannot be deflected or parried.

Incantation:Libenter
    Effect: A rather passive version of the Imperius Curse, this spell does not seek to suppress free will. Instead, the victim is subconsciously coaxed into accepting foreign ideas and thoughts as their own, attributing it to intuition or instinct. For each time the victim accepts and acts on these thoughts, the subconscious ideas become more persistent until, after a time, the victim truly believes in these foreign ideas and thoughts
    Visual: This spell has no visible characteristics. It can be recognisable in weak-willed wizards when their attitudes and actions dramatically change in a short period of time, as they are unable to resist the impulses as well as their stronger-willed kin.
    Notes:
    ·A lesser variant of the Imperius Curse, libenter is less popular because of the amount of skill it takes to hide the subconscious coaxing within the victim’s psyche. It can also be broken in the early to middle stages with great ease, once the victim is aware they he or she is under such a curse. Without such knowledge, the curse can never be broken
    ·Treatment of victims who suffer from the later stages of this curse is quite difficult, with the victim needing to be taught a rudimentary form of mind-organisation techniques (such as Occlumency) to isolate the foreign influence and allow one skilled with Legilimency to carefully remove it from their psyche. This is made increasingly difficult as most victims suffering from the final stage are usually resistant to the idea that they have been cursed in the first place, hence, making treatment all but impossible.
    ·Depending on the level and skill of the caster, and the mental resistance of the victim, it can take many months, even years, for a wizard or witch to fully succumb to the last stage of this spell

Category: Physical: Curses that inflict a wide variety of physical trauma upon the victim, causing grievous physical harm. Although some spells may produce mental trauma, this is caused by purely physical means

Incantation: Cruento Adustum
    Effect: This spell turns any source of blood into a raging maelstrom of dark fire that the caster is able to control with subtle movements of their wand, directing it to avoid deflection and attack multiple targets. Once the victim has been struck, the blood flame will disintegrate large portion of his or her body
    Visual: The source of this spell is blood. Once blood has been gathered, the spell will cause it to writher and glow with a dim red light, often forming into a spherical shape and emitting a slight buzzing noise
    Notes:
    ·This spell requires blood to fuel the dark curse behind it. As such, the more blood that is used, the more blood-flame that will be produced. However, greater quantities require greater concentration and casters may find themselves losing control and being destroyed by their own spell
    ·This spell, directed by the caster, is capable of deflecting off physical surfaces with a loud pinging noise and rebounding back upon the unsuspecting victim

Incantation: Effodio!
    Effect: This spell creates craters and gouges into physical surfaces, inflicting severe physical damage. Often the gouge will be as large and deep as a fully-grown male’s fist
    Visual: The most distinctive feature of this spell is the loud bang, akin to a backfiring car or exploding cauldron. A brief flash of silver light is also emitted
    Notes:
    ·This spell is exceptionally good against creatures with a thin hide or weak innate magical resistance. While it also performs fairly effectively against hardened surfaces, other similar curses will produce a much more devastating effect

Incantation: Evertoxuro
    Effect: This spell creates a large wide-spread jet of fire that billows out in front of the caster in a wall of searing heat and flame
    Visual: A jet of fire sprays from the caster’s wand, extending out for as far as six metres, with the emitted heat from the flame able to scorch enemies no less than nine or ten metres away. Clouds of black, oily smoke are also produced
    Notes:
    • This is an effective spell against multiple opponents, a great deterrent for approaching enemies and a useful way of obstructing the enemies line of sight
    • Like most potent magical flame, a flame-freezing charm may dim the heat of the spell but will not dissipate the magic behind it

Incantation: Argentum Telum

Effect: A powerful piercing spell, designed to shatter through the conventional shielding spells and still have enough force to puncture the human body, causing grave physical injury.

Visual: A glimmer of silver light, formed into the shape of an arrowhead. If the force of the spell is strong enough, it is often capable of passing straight through a human body, often spearing an internal organ and dragging it out
    Notes:

·Despite its colour, this spell is less than effective on werewolves and any other creature susceptible to silver.
    ·This spell is often miss-classed as a shield-breaker

Incantation: Caecus
    Effect: This curse obscures all visual, auditory, olfactory and tactile senses until counter-curse is applied
    Visual: Several strands of violet light form and wrap themselves around the victims head. Victims may experiences piercing sensations to eyes, ears, nose and tongue- sensations that will become increasingly painful the longer the curse is applied
    Notes:
    ·The spell is can be blocked by low level shielding charms and can be deflected and parried with ease
    ·This spell is popular with Aurors during legitimate duels with suspects and not-so-legitimate interrogations with said suspects

Incantation: Imbersonitus
    Effect: When the spell is first activated, it will absorb any and all nearby acoustic energy. An orb of collected sonic energy is formed and thrown at the victim. When the caster disengages from the spell, the orb will detonate at its present location in a concussive wave of sonic force, disorientating and physically throwing the victim aside.
    Visual: The orb appears in the form of glowing azure magic. The air may ripple during transit as the orb continues to collect nearby acoustic energy even moments before detonation. No thermal energy is expended during impact
    Notes:
    ·The power and effect of the spell varies on the amount of acoustic energy it is able to collect, both in its latency period and during its transit period. Depending on the power and skill of the caster, more than one orb may be formed
    ·A very popular spell used by Aurors during riots, especially against large, noisy crowds. Some side-effects include loss of balance and temporary deafness.

Incantation: Gelictus
    Effect: The victim will experiences the first symptoms of frostbite at the area upon which they were struck, including the sudden onset of pain. As a degenerative curse, the longer the counter-curse is withheld, the more serious the frostbite will become. Later stages include the onset of gangrene, which leaves the victim open to a host of infectious diseases
    Visual: A shimmering pulse of hazy white and blue light that is produced from the tip of the casters wand.
    Notes:
    ·Although it takes less than half-an-hour for the curse to degenerate into the later stages, all symptoms can be easily healed by a licensed Healer with no permanent. Amputation is not necessary for gangrene-affected limbs

Incantation:Frendo
    Effect: When struck, the victim will suffer a short, agonising moment of pain as the great force and power behind this Devastation Curse tears their body asunder, literally blowing them into very small pieces
    Visual: A flash of dark purple light and an eerie screeching noise, like nails down a blackboard. Once struck, there is very little of the victim to identify
    Notes:
    ·One of the most potent dark curses, this spell will tear through all but the most powerful of magical shielding spells. When struck, corporeal shields will also be torn apart, the shrapnel often blowing back under the power of the spell and into the victim
    ·This spell is extremely effective against all physical objects, but requires a skilled wand to cast it accurately

Incantation:Exturbo Arduro
    Effect: This short-ranged spell delivers a powerful blast of searing heat and scorching flame to a nearby victim
    Visual: Once cast, fire will jut from the tip of the wand, a bright and scorching blast of fire slamming forward with great force. Victims who are struck with this spell will often be hurled off their feet as well as suffering from severe burns
    Notes:
    ·This spell is most effective at a range of one-two metres. Any further and enough heat and power will be lost to reduce the effectiveness and capacity of the curse

Incantation: Silpormo
    Effect: When struck, the victim is forcibly thrown aside by a concussive blast of bright light and magical energy. Exposure to the retina can incur temporary blindness and injuries vary, ranging from singed hair to severe loss of limbs.
    Visual: A glowing pillar of white light that is thrown at a person with great force, accompanied by a thundering clap of noise that is akin to thunder.
    Notes:
    ·Blocked by only the most powerful shielding charms, nonetheless, it is a spell that skilled duellists can physically avoid, depending on the range of the caster

Incantation: Argentonis
    Effect: This spell creates a burst of smaller spells, which are propelled forward with enough force to slice through rock and metal alike. Capable of causing great physical trauma to adult wizards and witches alike, this spell is also effective against those non-human magical creatures with an affliction against silver
    Visual: A burst of small silvery shards are created, usually no less than five or six at a time. Upon impact on the victim, a blast of noise similar to shattering glass is produced
    Notes:
    ·The number of shards created and the speed they are thrown at the victim depends on the power and skill of the caster. More power behind the spell will cause the creation of several more shards, sometimes up to two dozen. More skill will cause them to be thrown at the victim at far greater speeds
    ·As the spell is based on shield-piercing properties, only high-level shielding charms can hope to withstand a barrage of this spell. However, they are highly susceptible to deflection and dispersal counter-curses.

Incantation:Irruptus Ardor
    Effect: This spell summons forward a multiple burst of rapid blasts of fire, allowing the caster to essentially deliver six or seven streaks of flame to numerous targets at once. The smoke that is produced by this spell is harmful to the respiratory system
    Visual: The tip of the wand will literally glow with heat as the bursts blasts from the wand. There will often be a cloud of dirty smoke produced by each impact, which both obscures the line of sight of the victim and causes them some respiratory damage
    Notes:
    ·This spell is most effective when facing multiple opponents and trying to distract them all or when trying to overwhelm and destroy a single opponent.

Incantation: Putesco
    Effect: Once struck, the victim will display rapid degenerative symptoms. Rotting skin, loss of hair, lesions and the sudden onset of arthritis are common ailments in the first few minutes. If not treated soon, later symptoms will include the deterioration of internal organs, loss of motor function and impaired mental capabilities, before a very agonising death occurs as stomach acid and bile arise to the lungs and heart and the victim literally drowns.
    Visual: The curse appears as a murky brown and yellow colour, and is often accompanied by a very powerful stench of rotting flesh.
    Notes:
    ·This spell will have a powerful affect on any organic substance, including a wide variety of magical and non-magical plants. It has also been known to affect stone and metal to a certain extent, causing structural deterioration and corrosion

Incantation: Extundo
    Effect: A dark deviant of the standard banishing charm, this spell will violently repel the flesh and bone that it struck away from the victim, sometimes tearing off limbs and ripping out fist-sized chunks of flesh from the victim’s chest. It is a very messy and often fatal curse.
    Visual: A small sparkling orb of midnight-blue light that seeps into the victim’s skin
    Notes:
    ·This spell alters the molecular bonding of the cells to the point where they are violently repulsed by the ‘host’. It is not uncommon to see a victim of this curse trying in vain to pick up his missing limb, only for it to hop away from him

Incantation: Extorqueos
    Effect: A curse designed to cause open fracture wounds by forcibly snapping the bones of one or more limbs. Although the wound itself is very minor, the dark magic behind the spell leaves the exposed injury at a greater chance of serious infections.
    Visual: This spell has no visible characteristics. The victim can recognise the spell by observing the attackers wand movements, a minor twist of the wrist and an oddly-elegant flourish.
    Notes:
    ·In the more serious cases, expert treatment is needed from fully licensed Healers, as the dark magic behind the spell subverts all but the most potent of healing charms/potions

Incantation:Siagrus
    Effect: This curse causes the ground to be heated to an unnaturally high temperature
    Visual: The only visible sign of the initial pulse of magic is the heat ripping and distorting the air. The ground will then be heated to an extreme degree, often turning into magma. On rare occasions, a geyser of trapped steam and heat will explode from the ground, showering the victim in a rain of flaming rock
    Notes:
    • This variation of a metal-working spell was adapted by dark wizards to disrupt the ground near castles and strongholds, weakening the stability of the walls- and wards built into the walls- surrounding them

Incantation:Terramotus
    Effect: The distracter spell was designed to cause a small, localised seismic rumble to rip through the ground around the caster, extending no further than ten to fifteen metres from the caster
    Visual: A shower of brown sparks that fly from the tip of the wand, settling on the ground and causing it to rumble.
    Notes:
    • It is perfect for disorientating enemies and throwing them off their feet, allowing the caster to either flee or attack while they are occupied
    • The seismic shudder will very rarely cause any structural damage to nearby homes or buildings

Incantation:Plecto
    Effect: This spell causes the victim to be struck with the magical equivalent to a whip-lash, the force of the blow often throwing them to the ground.
    Visual: A distinctive whip-like crack is produced upon the casting of this spell, the caster wielding the wand in a whip-like movement.
    Notes:
    ·This spell is used as a more potent version of the disarming charm, a skilled wizard or witch being able to strike their enemies fingers and forcing them to drop their wand
    ·Very rarely will skin be actually broken, although it has been known to cause some visual impairment should the eyes be targeted

Incantation:Laedo fervefacio
    Effect: A very advanced spell that creates a fiery whip-like extension of flame at the end of the casters wand, which the caster can then manipulate for as long as the spell remains
    Visual: A blazing whip of glowing fire will appear at the tip of the caster’s wand, often scorching or blackening the wood of the careless wizard. When struck against something, the fire will crackle and hiss
    Notes:
    • The caster may wield this blazing flame as a whip, repeatedly bringing it down on the victim, or may choose to wrap it around the victim, turning them into a literal bonfire and incinerating them in seconds

Incantation:Morsus infeci
    Effect: This spell causes the caster to create a magical grapple on the victim’s heart, allowing them to apply pressure on the vital organ at will. Too much force will result in damaged arteries, exploded blood vessels and death
    Visual: There is no visible emanation of light or any auditory sound to signify the presence of this spell. However, the victim will feel an icy clamp at the centre of his or her chest and will often suffer a nose or ear bleed due when pressure is applied
    Notes:
    ·The caster must be within a few meters of the victim to successfully cast this spell. The wand movements are very distinctive and attackers casting this spell will often move through the motions of a striking serpent
    ·If the victim apparates or moves beyond the caster’s range, the spell is broken

Incantation: Navictus
    Effect: A curse that mimics the symptoms of an electrocution.
    Visual: A bright bolt of azure magic, crackling with little bolts of electric-like energy. When struck, these arcs of energy will zip all over the body, causing the victim to shudder and spasm uncontrollably for however long the residual energy remains
    Notes:
    ·Although the spell is not powerful enough to kill, a very powerful or skilled wizard can do considerable damage to the heart that may have long-term repercussions for those who do not have access to Wizarding medicine
    ·Despite the appearance of the spell, the energy is not electricity and therefore, water and metal will not act as a conduit

Incantation: Corium Ustulo
    Effect: When a victim is struck by this curse, their skin will immediately break out into severe three-degree burns, causing a great deal of agony and leaving the body open for numerous infections
    Visual: Acone of dim orange light beams from the wand, much like a powerful lumos charm. Exposure to the spell for more than a second will cause burns and the longer the exposure, the worse the burns will become.
    Notes:
    ·This spell, if applied for more than a minute or so, can be fatal
    ·This spell has a unique property of being able to bypass magical shields that have an opaque or light-coloured tinge to them. It cannot, however, bypass corporeal shields and has no effect on solid objects

Incantation: Verbera
    Effect: The caster delivers a series of devastating blows to the victim, often with enough force to snap bones and rupture internal organs.
    Visual: The very air between the caster and the victim will ripple with the unseen force behind the spell. Large bruises will appear over the victim’s body after a short time has passed.
    Notes:
    ·Usually there are no more than four or five ‘blows’ in a single Verbera spell, although each blow is enough to cause serious physical harm by itself. These blows will rain down on random parts of the victims body
    ·Due to the nature of the spell, it is quite easy to block with even the most basic of shields. It is, however, almost impossible to deflect or parry

Incantation:Tubineus Nox-Ignus
    Effect: This potent spell creates a powerful cone of superheated particles, bringing them to bear against a target in a constant beam of heat and energy that the caster can direct at his or her target
    Visual: The tip of the wand will glow in a dark light and a cone of light will beam from his wand, looking like nothing more than a simple lumos charm at first. After a few moments, the light flicker with crimson veins of red and violet shooting through it and its temperature will radically increase to the point where it is able to melt through he most hardened of surfaces
    Notes:
    • Although this spell takes a few moments to work, it is very potent and is able to destroy the most powerful shielding charms with considerable ease given enough time. Corporeal shields are destroyed just as easily, their physical surface disintegrating underneath the power. This curse cannot be parried or deflected, however, an extremely skilled wizard might be able to reflect the cone of light elsewhere
    • Fatigue and weariness can be expected as the spell constantly draws power from the caster. Once the spell is broken, the caster may need a few moments to rest before commencing the duel

Incantation:Ventosus
    Effect: This spell creates a gust of wind that soars towards the victim, often throwing them off their feet
    Visual: Small objects littered around the caster may be dragged up with the wind as it is hurled at the victim, which can prove to be advantageous to the caster if the objects are capable of inflicting physical trauma
    Notes:
    • The power and speed behind the gust of wind is reflected by the skill of the wizard.

Incantation:Vorago Aquilus Exussum
    Effect: An extremely potent curse that causes the very ground to fall away beneath the victims feet, replacing it with a chasm of fire that surrounds and consumes the victim in a matter of moments
    Visual: The ground will crack and shatter as the fire roars up from the chasm, whipped into a frenzy as a ferocious wind howls into it from all directions, often throwing nearby people off their feet and into the flame and sucking in nearby foliage and objects. The chasm can be as wide as three metres
    Notes:
    ·Avoidance is the best method to countering this spell. Only the most powerful of wizards wielding the most powerful of magic are able to survive this maelstrom of flame
    ·This curse requires great mental effort and skill on the casters part and any lapse in concentration will make the caster lose control of the curse and be as vulnerable to the strong winds as his victims

Incantation: Pungo Plerusque
    Effect: Once cast, this spell will send forward a rapid-fire wave of thin bolts of energy until the caster cancels the curse. One of these pricks stings. A hundred of them will cause excruciating pain and the victim will feel as if they are being repeatedly stung with white-hot needles.
    Visual: A bright flare from the tip of the wand, followed by waves upon waves of thin and small streaks of pinkish-red light. When the victim is struck, the streaks will emit a small flash as they disappear in a shower of white sparks that shower over the victim’s body, causing even more pain
    Notes:
    ·The longer the caster pours magic into this curse, the more drained he or she will feel. Once the curse has been cancelled, it will take a few moments- depending on how long the curse was performed- before the victim recovers all of their strength.
    ·Although blocking a few of the small bolts is quite easier, average to moderate strength shields will struggle against a full barrage of the spell. It is vital to note this spell has no effect on corporeal shields or non-organic objects

Incantation: Carnifico
    Effect: Once struck, the victim is almost-immediately beheaded
    Visual: A glimmering silver arc flies from the tip of the wand. Once the victim is struck, silver magic with crackle and run through them, journeying to the neck in a matter of seconds and decapitating the victim in a flash of silver light
    Notes:
    ·This spell was developed by the French during the late 18th century, undoubtedly inspired by the recent invention of the muggle guillotine. It was used as a ‘noble’ method of execution for convicted Purebloods for quite some time
    ·Once struck, the victim has a few seconds at most to cast a four word counter-curse. Should he or she prove to be fast enough, the spell will dissipate. Those who are too slow to complete the counter-curse may find themselves ‘nearly headless’

Incantation: Abhorreo

Effect: Upon striking the human body, this spell will cause internal organs to wriggle and vibrate inside the victim’s chest. This curse causes a great deal of immediate pain but very little other damage

Visual: A streak of bright blue light. The person that is struck will often shudder and rock about on their feet, often losing balance and being thrown to the ground.

Notes:

·A well-cast percussion curse will incapacitate your opponent, sometimes to the point of death. There is no immediate counter-charm but it can be blocked by a wide variety of shielding charms.
    ·Internal injuries are rarely permanent

Incantation:Obruoculus
    Effect: One of the victim’s eyeballs literally explodes within the socket, reducing vision and causing a great deal of immediate pain.
    Visual: A jagged bolt of yellow light. A loud crackling noise may accompany it. Once the victim is struck, the effect is immediate and they are usually incapacitated
    Notes:
    ·The severity of the damage depends on the skill and power of the caster. More often than not, Healers are able to piece the eye back together and almost-completely repair the victim’s sight. In worse case scenarios, the eyeball is completely destroyed and the victim is forced to either persevere with only one eye or to replace it with a magically-crafted replacement

Incantation: Talus Tabidus
    Effect: This spell causes the victims bones to start melting, causing intense and sometimes permanent skeletal damage while inducing a searing pain
    Visual: Once cast, a billowing cloud of dirty grey smoke will wrap itself around the undefended victim, forcing itself down the throat, nose, ears and other various holes. Once in the body, the spell will wrap itself around the bones and begin the process of liquefaction
    Notes:
    ·Due to the innate magical resistance of all human beings, the spinal cord and the skull are some of the hardest bones to damage or destroy. Hence, only very powerful and skilled wizards can cause neural damage using this spell
    ·If left untended for a maximum of six hours, skeletal damage may become severe. Quite often, a victim may be cursed without knowing it, will pass the initial pain off as arthritis or some other malady and fall asleep, only to wake up the next morning with a lack of mobility and in a great deal of pain

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008