1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Death, In Glory by Apocolypso-33 - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Garret P.I., Jan 12, 2008.

1. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Title: Death, In Glory
    Author: Apocalypso-33
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Romance
    DLP Category: Independent Harry Or The Alternates
    Pairing: HONKS
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 25,073
    Updated: January 14, 2008
    Published: August 1, 2007

Summary: Crossover with 300: The Movie. AU Time is a fragile dimension, and mixing magic with it has severe repercussions more often than not. What does the future hold for Harry, raised in ancient Sparta, then thrust back into the Future? Eventual Honks
    Link:

I was hesitant to read this given the hokey summary, but was pleasantly surprised by the detail work and tone of the story. The characters living in ancient Sparta felt like what you'd expect of people living in such an epic time period. Also the author appears to have worked out a set of primordial rules for magic that the modern spell casters of the magical world may have lost touch with but that make sense.

The big bonus here is that the chances of Harry showing any sort of weakness and angsty emoness are nil.

Only two chapters so far, but I like it already.

Checked by Minion, January 1, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I don't know... I like this story, I really do. It's pretty original, well written, and I like the magic system he's using.

But, when it boils down to it, it's still a crossover with 300. I mean, I liked the movie and all, but whenever I think about a 300/HP crossover, it's all I can do not to cringe.

Still... 4/5

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I agree, but I can't stop laughing myself stupid at it. Makes it hard to take seriously.

4. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Am I the only one who just by reading "HP/300 crossover" thought of Harry Kicking Snape off the astronomy tower, screaming "Tonight you'll dine in hell!" or "This is Hogwaaaaaaaarts!"?

I can't help it, but otherwise it seems a good fic and the magic system seems cool. Let's hope Apocalypso updates it.

5. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

I know what you mean.... it's like .. damn.. the guy's done his work on this... but at the same time you're thinking, jesus christ, it's Harry in 300... and start laughing.

But then again this is the guy that did Chimera... so who knows... maybe he can pull it off.

Not off the tower.... he'd have to do it with the Chamber of secrets pit with him forcing Snape instead of Lockhart to jump in. It's the whole pit motif thing.

Potter opens the tunnel to the chamber
    Snape: Potter, I am not going to jump into that open pit... cease this madness and be reasonable.
    Potter: Madness?! This. Is. Hoooogwarts! *Kick*
    Snape:potterrrr! I'll get you for thhhiiiiis! *sliding down tunnel*

I'm also thinking of how he'd deal with Malfoy... I'm thinking it'll involve him smiling and laughing at the little ponce while publically calling him an Athenian boy whore.

But yeah... the Madness?....This is Hogwarts! thing would be classic

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

This story is cited explicitly in Potter Law.

7. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    So are we discouraged to read this, per Potter Law, because seriously, this sounds like it will be lulzy.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I liked this story, despite the fact that it was a crossover between Harry Potter and the 300 movie. It was well written, despite its flaws (one of which, "Leandros," can be ignored simply because it makes sense in context). All the same, the story had both of its updates in the same month, then hasn't been updated since; I'm thinking it was abandoned. A shame, really.

Also, the entirety of this story has -thus far - taken place in ancient Sparta. Unless the Apocolypso decides to update this thing, it really isn't a Harry Potter story. As a "Harry Potter" story, I give it a 2/5 at best, and even then simply for technical reasons. As a 300 story, on the other hand, I give it a 4/5. Pretty good.

I won't give a finalized rating on the off chance that Apocalypso decides to continue the story. It has too much potential to be great (or terrible) once it returns to being a Harry Potter story (as the summary suggests it should) to rate it now.

9. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

Read whatever you want. And also...

[​IMG]

Only picture I could find :(

While the story is detailed for sure...I'm pretty much with Syao on this as it's not something I can actually read without breaking into a laughing fit. Yarrgh should have added comedy to the genre display along with Adventure/Romance IMO.

10. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

I wouldn't call Yarrgh's style or stories "lulzy".

I haven't read it myself (except a first draft of the first chapter, ages ago), and I haven't seen the movie (it looked a bit cheesy in my opinion). But I like the idea of Harry being thrown back into Antiquity; it might be that I'm a former Latin and Greek student, though. The eras are just... very rich, and fascinating. Also, the Thermopiles battle does appeal to the imagination. It's probably the most heroic episode of the entire Greek history -- the kind of heroism Harry would be capable of, in fact. Sacrificing himself to save others, giving his friends time to escape, etc. etc.

It would be probably hard to pull off; but from what I remember of his style of writing, it's perfectly adapted for epic and heroic scenes, in the literary sense of the terms. I'm curious to see how he will pull off Harry back into his own era, though.

I'll read the story eventually -- not much time right now.

11. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I thought the story was pretty damn good, and it didn't give me any reason to dislike it. The author's take on the movie was brilliant, characterisations were very solid and the writing was excellent. The Godric's Hollow scene was particularly memorable, and the fights were far from disappointing. Nothing to complain about really, so I'll have to give this 5/5.

12. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Well, Philly Homer did comment thusly in the Potter law thread
    and Taure said
    So while there is a Potter law item on it... said item was created because of Yaarg failing at DLP survival... not because the story itself is bad.

So like MM said above... read what you want.

I think making your own decision is more important just bandwagoning blindly. besides... DLP is sorta about making your own mind up about stuff and not just being a sheep... right?

Personally, I agree with the "potential for lulz" and I'm hoping that the author continues this fic, simply because I'm curious to see where he was going to take it.

There's some real opportunities for some solidly funny lampooning of the film and its memes... but at the same time there's a real opportunity to really throw a beam into the spokes of the HP storyline by being serious with the Ancient world elements and attacking the modern sensibilities of the HP story line with a character more suited for the ancient greek epics.

I'd be interesting if the author tried to do both... skewering the memes AND being serious too.

The sorts of acts that Harry would be capable of and would in fact find entirely acceptable....would horrify modern sensibilites (Think along the lines of dispatching (flat outright killing) wounded foes after a battle, rather than letting them live, and laughing and joking about it while doing so.)

One serious stumbling block however is how Harry would view the modern era when/if he's returned to it. People of the modern era would seem hopelessly foolish and pathetically soft to him... and he'd likely have no patience with them or be able to form friendships. Friendship pretty much requires respect for someone as an equal or near equal.

13. Dark Magic

Dark Magic Denarii Host

The story is alright. It's fairly original and isn't very boring.

Only one part really made me laugh though...

14. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

And thus were the Third Kind created in Sparta.

15. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

While I have my disputes with Yarrgh, I attempted to read. Credit where credit is due, its detailed and shit but...

Jesus nipples, Yarrgh. Its Harry Potter/300. There is a reason people HATE crossovers. Authors using fandoms that DONT mix. Lke ... James Bond and Harry Potter, or Discworld and Star Wars.

Or in this case, 300 and Harry Potter.

/me goes back to writing his Prince of Persia/Harry Potter xover.

Nao thar is a guud idea.

16. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The third chapter's on the ReadCon for months, but he still hasn't updated on FFnet.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And "that site" is down at the moment, making the 3rd chapter inaccessible. I don't think he posted it anywhere else, though it's possible it's on Ficwad.

Edit: Nope, no chapter 3 on Ficwad.

18. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

It's not bad. Though I accidentally messed up rating it. I dont' suppose a mod or admin could erase it? I wasn't paying attention and gave it a 1 instead of a three.

>_>

19. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

This story's going absolutely nowhere fast. It's obvious that the author only thought "HP/300 crossover? *fangirl scream*" and never bothered to actually give it a plot.

There have been so many stories of this general format that it's not funny. Here's how it goes:

1) Harry Potter gets random power-up in random/cool place in the past
    2) Harry Potter somehow travels forward in time (in a way that we never quite comprehend)
    3) Harry goes to Hogwarts and amazes everybody by his uber-coolness
    4) Author abandons story because he never figured out what comes next

20. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

You can't really judge that just after three chapters. And I think it's safe to say that he's not going to amaze everybody with his omgsuperpowers. All he knows is battle magic, he knows no charms, and little transfiguration.

Although, you're probably right about him abandoning it. Hasn't he abandoned both Chimera and Incubus?