1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Magical Psychologist

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Chime, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Right now I'm working on a one-shot, here's a (very rough – I finished this part five minutes ago) snippet:

I'm having a lot of fun writing it, if you can't tell.

The premise is that Harry (somewhere between his 5th and 6th year) is confronted by Hermione on the fact that he's acting (lol) depressed and moody. Thankfully, Luna just happens to be nearby. Apparently, her father was a psychologist before he started on the Quibbler. Harry agrees to seeing Luna's father, since he's probably a crock. He sees it as a way to get out of seeing an actual psychologist.

Once in the examination room, I've written a few bits and pieces of the scene, Luna's dad has no first name (I'm not following any cannon on her parents at all) and is totally out there (he asks Harry if he may call him "Harry" and when Harry agrees, he still addresses him as "Mr. Potter").

What I'm having trouble is coming up with amusing questions for him to ask Harry. Questions that tie into psychological disorders, seem totally ridiculous, and fit (just a little) with the things Harry has done/said. Obviously, all the sexual stuff is related to his inane attraction to Ginny, and I plan to poke fun of his relationship with Ron and Hermione, but I'm stumbling a bit.

As for the rest of the story, well I'd rather not give away the conclusion (or any of Mr. Lovegoods methods for correcting poor Harry), but let's say, that there is a distinction between psychologists and psychiatrists (hint: one cannot prescribe medication). Harry's not going to be thinking quite like he used to.

Any other suggestions/criticisms appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Hmm, that was kind of interesting. I have no clue about psychological questions to ask people, but I greatly look forward to reading more. o_O Here's a thought, pretend like CoS didn't really happen and make Harry think he was crazy for hearing 'voices'. That might be a little mean but it'd be funny...

3. Ryzen

Ryzen Second Year

o_O

Have you ever studied psychology or even took a general psychology course?
    Psychologists-Therapists, don't usually tie sexual feelings from a 16 year old boy as a disorder. Having sexual feelings is ah, normal? lol.

That is nulled if your a Neo-Freudian. :)

One thing that really bothered me is...

Quote:

"Yes, and we'll be able to tell more after a few simple tests, Mr. Potter. I really hope you don't have Dissociative Fugue, Gender Identity Disorder, or Mental Retardation, too."

End Quote.

In the psychology field we DO NOT say mental 'retardation' anymore, as it being highly unprofessional and well...rude.

4. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

Ryzen, it would be in character for Mr. Lovegood as in this story he most likely hasn't practiced in some time (probably since Luna's mother died). On top of that if he trained as a Psychologist in the Wizarding World his ideas and practices are likely more in line with the mid-1800s, not modern techniques.

Chime, I would read up on Freud's early work as inspiration. Pull out all the old Middle Ages and Renaissance ideas - the Five(?) Humors, blood-letting, electro-shock, etc.

Edit: Just thought I'd add this. In Freud's time cocaine was prescribed for various pscych disorders. Not sure if you want to turn this into a Junkie!Harry story though...

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This... really turns me off. Unless this is a humor fic, I don't see it working, really. And even then, I doubt I'd read it. Didn't much care for Nonjon's either.

Firstly; Gender Identity Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Dissociative Fugue are relatively new discoveries. And even if they aren't, the terms are. I don't see any wizard Psychologist using them, honestly.

Look at the canon setting. There is a huge lag in a lot of the Wizarding World's advancements. Some wizards use cars and such, but for the most part, they seem to be in a more 16th to 18th century era. My personal feelings is that they'd just be accepting Freud's theories of mental states and such.

And there would also be a negative connotation to having a mental disorder, regardless of how slight. You would be "damaged."

6. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I see, yes there's a conflict between my ideas.

My intention was to use older psychological focuses (Freud, empiricism, etc) and medieval humor-curing techinques (along with some more modern, Lovegood-inspired ideas; perhaps I would make up some lore on the subject of wizard-psychology too).

The modern diagnoses don't work then, unless I explain that Mr. Lovegood is using the most modern _ (I can't recall the name of what they call the large book that holds all the psychological disorders) to diagnose Harry – which I think would work, since he would be using old techniques with new discoveries and terms, which is how I think a wizard would approach to "updating" their practice.

I still like the idea, but I see the problems. I would have to explain why Harry is being studied like he is.

Yes I have taken a course in psychology, I know all the basic stuff, like the differences in approaching therapy and what consitutues a "disorder". This is just a fun idea though, twisting psychology through the mind of a not-all-there person and wizard society. An attempt at humor, not a serious analysis of Harry and his psyche. (Couldn't you guys tell by the way he was making fun of Harry's affection of Ginny?). It's also a one-shot, so the ramifications or opnions of others in Britain are irrelevant.

tl;dr: Mr. Lovegood is obviously not a psychologist, he's deranged himself, so obviously none of his thoughts make any sense.

edit:

The fact that you say you wouldn't read it, means a lot to me. Would you care to elaborate? What exactly would I have to change for you to read it? Is it the premise itself?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  7. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

The first thing I thought when I read the snippet was "this would fit well somewhere in Rorschach's Blot fanfictions".

The innuendos, Lovegood's misinterpretations, the writing style, and the kind of humor reminded me strongly of his fanfictions. Which isn't bad, but it just looks less 'original' to me. Maybe you should make it more "psychological" than humorous; maybe write it in first person, or show somehow what Harry is thinking during the examinations.

It could be fun for the reader to compare what Harry thinks and what Lovegood thinks that Harry think?

Harry certainly has psychological problems (canon Harry), no self esteem, etc. It may be fun then to read the therapy Lovegood would suggest (therapy based on a wrong analysis).

Anyway, as a one shot I certainly would read it.

8. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I happen to love everything Rorschach's Blot writes, and I will admit that this reminded me of it somewhat, so this was pure gold to me.

Anyways, he is a Wizard psychologist so, if you wanted to take the time, you could make up your own bull shit disorders and such. If not, no one reading a humor fic is truly going to care if Lovegood is using ideas made in the 2000's in the 1990's besides a few stick-up-the-butt loons that would argue with you such retarded concepts as the meaning of 'truth'. And then, of course, the meaning of 'meaning' and how perceptions distort that. And then the meaning of perceptions...

So, write what you think is funny. Get a few betas with a good imagination and the same sense of humor as you and throw ideas off of each other. (I actually would recommend Rorschach's Blot and his people.)

9. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Oh thank you! You just gave me a great idea. I'm having trouble holding in my maniacal laughter.

After rereading the short snippet I posted in the original message, I realize why some people have had their doubts. I'll need to polish the dialogue. I'm not liking it at all.

Will do. I never thought of PMing another author, might be worthwhile.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  10. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I'm glad I could help then :p. Don't die laughing, though.

11. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Good little snippet, but to go off on a tangent-- Am I the only one here who thinks that RB stopped being funny a long, long time ago?

12. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No Tragedian, you aren't the only one. He's playing on old jokes and bad humour and a large following.

13. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

You know what it needs? It needs a, "...How do you feel about that?"