1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Castlevania Crossover?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Nemo, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Nemo

Nemo Second Year

Yeah, I know crossovers are ripe with the potential for FAIL, but what the hey. There are crazier ideas that have turned out awesome (Terminal Justice, I'm looking at you).

Harry Potter was born on July 31, 1980. Julius Belmont was born that same year.

Nobody knows what happened in Dracula's castle in the year 1999, except that the vampire was defeated for good, his castle was sealed up, and Julius disappeared afterwards.

I think there's room to make an interesting crossover here, so I'm tossing out the idea to see if it can be made workable. So far I've got a couple of thoughts:

-Harry ends up being adopted by the Belmonts for some reason or another. Kind of cliche.
    -It turns out that Harry is a member of the clan by blood. Also cliche, and I HATEHATEHATE fics where the author rewrites canon to 'Lily was secretly of a super-special-awesome family, but she didn't really know it...what about Petunia, you say? Uhm...'
    -Harry gets involved with vampire-hunting sometime after he starts at Hogwarts, possibly even after he leaves it.

I'm kind of leaning towards the third option...it's not as horribly overdone as the first two, it prevents two bad guys (Voldemort and Dracula) fighting for the spotlight, and it leads to interesting possibilities like Harry having to slay an undead Ginny.

I dunno, am I just rambling, or does anyone else think this shows promise?

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No.

A vampire-hunting Harry sounds interesting, if it were done well, but there is no need to bring an necessary crossover into it. Unless it were Buffy. But definitely not something with the name "Castlevania".

3. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Wait...you would rather see a Slut-who-Slays crossover than one based on what was actually a fairly decent video game?

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Buffy was and is the King (or rather, Queen) of all television programs. Ever.

5. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Dude, Xena would totally kick Buffy's ass :D.

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Castlevania... ah, the memories. I never had any of the sony systems, so I only played the three NES games and the two SNES ones. Some of the best music in any video game. There are much worse video games to base a Harry Potter crossover on. Like, say, Devil May Cry.

I've been seriously considering adding a rule to Potter Law that ALL Devil May Cry crossovers suck, no matter what. However, that's pretty much covered by the rule that says all crossovers suck.

I am detecting massive amounts of favoritism and bias.

And then this thread jumped the shark (and the Dover Demon too).

7. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

You jest. Truly, you jest.

8. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

:wall:

That is all I have to say about either of the above comments.

Back on topic, however, I wouldn't mind seeing a well-written HP/Castlevania crossover. It would have to be a fairly carefully plotted-out fic though or else it could end up living up to the "Crossovers are Crap" rule.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Firstly to Taure: No. Just Complete, Caps Lock, NO. Castlevania >>>>>>> Buffy. You uncultured, insignificant, small minded, hairless APE of a Britfag. NEVER in all of history will BUFFY be better than Castlevania, if for Symphony of the Night alone. Bloodlines was epic too. Adrian Tepes++

But on the other hand, this does seem kind of interesting to a long time Castlevania fan. Personally, I'd like to see a Pro-Dracula Harry, but eh, I've always wanted to play from the other side. Curse of Darkness sort of did it with that stupid turncoat Hector. Pity the game sucked.

But it has a lot of potential as long as you don't go the Richter/Annette route with Harry/Ginny.

10. Nemo

Nemo Second Year

Well, there's a thought. There's a long tradition of cultists/magicians/whatever screwing with the 100-year-cycle of the series...maybe a story where Harry (obviously a Dark!Harry of some kind) decides to summon Dracula for...eh, I don't think this is going to work. Why would he work for Dracula? Wouldn't he just be trading one Dark Lord for another?

As for Ginny, the idea was something like 'well, he kills her, and since this is only two years after DH the epilogue never happens.'