1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

seven year fic's

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Seratin, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey, I'm looking for fic's where Harry's Hogwarts life goes a bit differently , alternate sorting's or gryffindor sorting's where Harry doesnt waste his time and doesnt really hang around with Ron. Any pairing. Thanks.

2. malaga

malaga Auror

I don't like you right now for so many reasons.

Did you read the stickies?

Actually wait, can you even read? (I'm not being as facetious as you may think, the fact that you can't write either just made me ask.)

If I was nice, I'd tell you to leave right now. As I'm not, I'll wait until the real flamers come.

Boy, you gonna get raped.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No he isn't. The title specifies "seven year fics".

This is a very specific search: so specific that I can only think of one that fulfills the requirements, and although it's an amazingly well written fic, it's not exactly a treat to read - I found I had to slog my way through it, rather than enjoy it.

Sacrifices Arc by Lightning on the Wave, starting with Saving Connor.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  4. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

A while ago I read the few first chapters, until I saw at the A/N or something that it was to be a H/D slash, so I dropped it.

5. Skeletaure

High Score:
    The H/D slash doesn't really start until the fourth one. And even then it isn't too bad.

What is bad though, is the fangirlish, fluffy, angsty, slashy atmosphere the author maintains throughout the whole series.

I wrote a fairly comprehensive review of why the series is so bad despite being so good at the same time over on The-Site-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, but that site is down at the moment, so I cannot retrieve it.

6. Halstead

Halstead First Year

I can't think of any either apart from the aforementioned monster of a series. Most "seven-year" fic's never get past year two or three and most of these never finish fourth year.

Do try the Sacrifices Arc though. Like Taure said, it is both amazingly good as well as bone wearingly bad in places. The slash isn't major but it is there but some of the OC's are simply fantastic.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

[​IMG]

Malaga, do you know what area of the site you're on? It's called 'Story Search'.

Also, the sticky is being removed as I type.

8. Methene

Methene Auror

If you want a series that spans throughout all of seven years, I don't know one.

There is the R Series by Regulus, which is Honks, with Harry in Slytherin, if I remember correctly. It has its ups and downs but it is good, in my opinion. Either way it is a massive read.

Here's a link to the first one.

The Philosopher's Stone Retransmuted » reviews [Complete Formatting completely fixed now!] Book 1 in the RSeries, an AU rewrite. Harry, abused by the Dursleys, meets a young Metamorphmagus one morning in the park. The girl reveals who Harry really is and where he'll soon be going. [Honks]Complete - Harry Potter - Fiction Rated: T - English - Adventure/Romance - Chapters: 24 - Words: 118,313 - Reviews: 537 - Updated: 11-1-04 - Published: 8-12-04

9. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Another one that I keep intending to read, but haven't yet, and looks like that it will reach the full 7 years (it's on number four at the moment) is the Grey Maiden series.

10. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Grey Maiden series wasn't too bad at first, but I gave up towards the middle of the 3rd one. It just got too bogged down and stogy.

11. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thank's the R series look's good i think il give that a try first.

12. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

Harry is in Ravenclaw in the R Series, though sometime through the first couple of years you wouldn't really know what house he was in.

13. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I still say this subforum was a bad idea :p

Anyone wanna guess why?

14. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Hmmm, I was under the impression- the same one that Malaga was probably under- that Story Searches were supposed to be for a specific story, not a group of stories...

He wasn't asking for stories that span all seven year (he just called it that). He was asking, as you can see from his post, for any fic that redid Harry Potter from at least before the start of his Hogwarts years. I have read more of those than I could count. I thought he was going to get raped, flamed, and then devoured.

15. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

It's good for the first few books, but then it just gets crappy. Too much fluffy bullshit mixed with some massive cliches. It held so much promise. And yeah, he's in Ravenclaw.
    Still say? Where did you say it the first time? And it's better than it clogging FanFiction Discussion. Despite the sticky, 'looking for' threads were still popping up every week or so.

This way, it's out of the way and if you don't want to see the threads, don't enter the forum. Simple.

And I assume you're talking about members flaming the shit out of requests they don't like? If they do it, they'll get a smack themselves unless the request is truly moronic.

16. Bratling

Bratling Professor

I managed to get through the Sacrifices arc. It was hard, and I almost gave up many, many times, but I didn't. I gave up on Gray Maiden probably about the same time Mordecai did because it was like slogging through quicksand.

Try the Blind Faith universe by xyvortex. RavenclawBlindHarry It's currently in second year, but the author seems to want to write all seven years. http://www.fanfiction.net/u/549490/

If you don't mind Severituses, Saerry Snape has one that stretches through all seven years, and I believe he was sorted into Slytherin. It's the Not Myself series. http://www.fanfiction.net/u/74156/Saerry_Snape And it's complete.

Can't think of any more at the moment.

17. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

They are all VERY short. I mean, Year 5 is only 35k words (complete), none of them are over 50K.

Edit: sorry, year 4 is about 83k the rest are under 50k
    Edit: And Harry has a fucking annoying accent.

Ah, now I remember why I didn't past the first year of it:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  18. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

...Yeah, that would kill anyones interest.

19. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just tried reading that Saerry Snape series, and Harry's accent is written so horribly I ended up reading it as though he was speaking in an Irish accent.

20. Bratling

Bratling Professor

Isn't it? I didn't like that story but I was on a Severitus kick and it was finished. That counted for a lot at the time.

I s'pose you could try mine, but I'm not certain that DLP people would like it much. It's a crossover, for one, and a H/G for another, because it fit what I needed. Right now, it's only on my LJ because it was my NaNo project, and it's still in beta from that, and it's a WIP... I'm only in first year so far, but I'm sticking to it through the end...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008