1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Filius Flitwick

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Jan 31, 2008.

1. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Can anyone point out a fic (or series) where Flitwick becomes more involved in Harry's magical education? Whether it's an AU sorting, or picks up after the events of another cannon story (OotP at the latest), I think it would be interesting to see Harry more knowledgeable about at least Charms, if not all his subjects.

I cant pinpoint whether Flitwick as a former duelling champion is a cannon or fanon fact, but I'm sure this could be put to good use as well.

I'm not necessarily looking for a Mentor!Flitwick, but I'd say the midget has potential as more than just a classroom character.

Much appreciation to anyone who can point out some good ones.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Unsung Hero has Flitwick being involved in teaching Harry more, but not until later in the fic.

3. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Canon. Lockheart mentioned it during COS before the dueling club.

4. Methene

Methene Auror

The little halfbreed was indeed a dueling champion in his youth. That is 100% canon.

EDIT: TEaoS beat me to the posting

5. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

It's amazing how much of Lucius' personality you mimic.

6. Skeletaure

High Score:
    One wonders just how much of it is role-play...

One also wonders just what Flitwick being a Dueling Champion means, especially considering that Dueling is outlawed.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well he seems to be pretty old, so he may have been around before ti was banned. Also, I get the impression that it was duels to the death that were outlawed, mostly because Lockhart set up a Duelling Club in a school. He may be incompetent, but I'm sure he wouldn't knowingly break a law in front of so many people, Snape and Dumbledore especially.

Aekiel

8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Snape? Fuck Snape.

But seriously, there should be more of our favorite tiny professor. I've always thought he would be the perfect mentor to Harry (at least, as far as writing an interesting story), with Slughorn running a close second.

There are plenty of stories that give him his own subplot, but few that make him anything truly integral to the storyline. It's a pity really.

9. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

It's been a while, but doesn't he help train Harry or something in Jbern's 'To Fight The Coming Darkness'?

10. vinais

vinais Second Year

He's mostly shown as a 'mid-card' character, but has a lot of potential in a mentor role. Havent really come across a fic where he has an important role to play.

I've always liked the little bugger more than the other teachers for some reason and was a bit disappointed that his being dueling champion wasnt used in any way in the books.

11. Skeletaure

High Score:
    McGonagall, Slughorn and Kingsley all appear to be superior duelers, if the events of DH are to be taken into account. They were the three who took Voldemort on.

12. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

And Molly took Bellatrix on...

Flitwick being a dueling champion is canon, Taure. To you especially, that should be irrefutable.

Anyways, Harry should have gone to him for help in the fourth book. He's about as personality-less as Daphne, besides his cheerfulness, and he would be an easy character to make into whatever you want him to be.

13. Guest_

Guest_ Third Year

Oh, be more generous. He even has some lines in the first book!

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Yes, him being a Dueling champion is canon. But this doesn't mean that there aren't people better at dueling that he.

15. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Alright, thanks for the suggestion of Unsung Hero, Taure...do you know of any more stories? Flitwick doesn't have to be cast as a mentor, so much as more involved with Harry's training. The little fella is a Charms Master..maybe some stories that look deeper into his particular branch of magic?

I'm asking both for entertainment and research purposes. I've got an idea for an AU Sorting story, but if I do it, I'd like subject Mastery to be a big part of the training. Charms Master, Transfiguration Master, Potions Master...you get it. Don't think magical prodigy here; I wouldn't want to go that route at all. Since it will be my first real project in the fandom, I'd like it to be at least respectable. I can see doing this by pointing out Harry has much to learn, and needs a LOT of work if he's to ever become proficient to Master status in any subject, let alone multiple subjects.

With that said, I really would apreciate any help with the search that could help me along the way.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008