1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Nuances of Counterflaming

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Andro, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I was typing up a response to a flame, when I wondered how many writers bother. On the one hand, it's a flame, and the person that submitted it did so anomynously, but on the other, the person read up to the latest chapter which eliminates the impact of the flame.

The primary flame I receive accuses me of using a Thesaurus (not true!).

My method is to, in each of my stories, insert some really obscure fact that seems like it's common knowledge specifically so that I can use it as ammunition later. My personal favorite is Earth being an oblate spheroid. If the flamer doesn't know that, then they should refer to My Immortal, which should present a healthy, stimulating challenge to their intellect. I mean, it is the geometry of the planet they live on.

Then, if someone knows that, then surely they know the meaning of some mid-level vocabulary?

It's pretty crude, logically questionable, and generally childish, so how do the fellows from a more elegant age usually approach it?

Of course, you could respond legitimately with arguements and evidence, but that's no fun!

The coup de grace: "Here, look at the monkey. Look at the silly monkey!"

2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Most of the time I don't bother responding to flames - I used to, back in the early days, but unless the flamer really annoys me now, or says something I can safely pounce on with a fistful of smokin' hot sarcasm, I find it more entertaining to hit my head against the wall - more productive, too.

And if they're anonymous then all the more so can't be bothered.

Too many flames, so little time to care - usually an attack on my manhood is enough to force a witty and slamming response to a flame.

But meh,

Joe

3. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I really don't bother unless I see the flamer has shown some effort in his flames, or mentions me specifically instead of my story.