1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Founders' Heir by Renatus - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: The Founders' Heir
    Author: Renatus
    Rating: T
    Genre: General/Humor
    Pairings: None
    Chapters: 43
    Words: 142,276
    Updated: January 19, 2012
    Published: April 27, 2005

Summary: Pre HBP. Harry is one of the Founders' Heirs. He gets transported back to the time of the Founders along with all their heirs. When Harry returns, matured, and a hunter, he has his eyes set on Voldemort, and the task Salazar set to him.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2370561/1/

I just downloaded the new chapter and realized this wasn't posted on DLP before.

Harry travells back in time to receive training from the Founders, along with young Dumbledore and Riddley. Once he's back, he hides his true identity and poses as Snape's new apprentice. His job set by the Founders is to kill Ridley, since he screwed up his mission by turning dark...

Very good story, I'd say. Harry's character is pretty cool, dark and mysterious stranger with scars all over him... All characters are well done and Harry's interaction with them is fun to read (especially Harry and Albus). Another upside is good amount of humor - it's always nice to read a story where serious plot is mixed up with humorous scenes and characters.

Downside is Harry's inactivity. I mean, his job is to take down Riddle, but he just gallivantes around the castle, trying to hide his identity from his friends while screwing around with his pet gryphon... A more proactive attitude would be in order.

Checked by Minion, August 19, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Never tried to read this because when I saw Harry was going back in time with other people I thought it'd be the group of idiots. Since its not I'll give this a try.

3. Quack

Quack Second Year

It's pretty good. Like ip said, he could be a more active in the war. ><

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, I like this story, read it regularly when it gets updated. I just wish we could have seen some of his training with the Founders though.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Nah, I think he's already spending too much time reminiscing about his time with the Founders, like some old geezer boring everyone with his war time stories. He should go out and start collecting DE's instead of lazing around in the castle, talking bout good 'ol days...

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

He called Snape 'Batman'... that gains this story points in my book! :p

7. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

i quite like this story, though i agree with ip82 that in needs to get on with the plot a bit. We want some action dammit.

8. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I like it a lot... but yeah, he does need to get off his ass and act sometime in the near future. But then again, 30 chapters taking place over 2 weeks is a bit... long.

9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Agreed on this being an enjoyable story. Perhaps a bit more of a Snape-loving fetish than I usually like in my fanfic, but it's still enjoyable.

And yeah, that's my biggest complaint, is that the chapters are all so short and nearly one little scene long each. And it's taking so long to get anywhere. It's categorized as General/Humor, but there's really not been anything all that humorous (that stuck with me at least). I mean he calls Albus Bill, but... yeah. With all the setup and ideas and things going on, it would be so much better as an Action/Adventure rather than Humor. And to actually get to some Action then.

Mad-eye doesn't trust him. We get it. Hows aboot something more? Or do we need more from the kiddies accepting the changes in Harry now?

I don't mean to harp, it's just I'm enjoying the fic, but half the time I'll read the new chapter and feel like I didn't learn anything new in that whole chapter. And we're no closer towards the end.

And having no desire to 'kill' Voldie? Even though he's apprenticed to Snivelly and everyone thinks him dark, he's still a nancy-boy?

This story seems so much more coherent and professional than so many others, but then there's thing like his name is "Elddir" as in Riddle backwards. Couldn't he have put a little more effort into that?

I don't know. This is another far better than average, quite enjoyable story that frustrates me.

10. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

i read this story a while ago. I thought it was pretty good...mostly. It had a few funny momments throughout it as well, not too shabby. I think it could probably have some improvements though, it might be easier for the reader if the author to describe at lease some of harry's time with the founders near teh start of the story, within the first four chapters. It didn't really give that much detail about it until the middle of the story, so it was a bit confusing.

11. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

I like this story. But as many others have pointed out could harry get off his ass and do something instead of just staying in the castle.

12. CGB

CGB Auror

I think this story is quite good. It's rather funny at times, but the author should put more action in it. The whole Death Eater attack scene in the newer chapters was an improvement, but now he really should do something constructive.

13. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This is a necro.

Yeah, ok, this post, too, but actually I mean the story. Yes, Renatus updated. I think the last chapter somehow is familiar, so the author might have edited part of the story or something instead of actually updating.

I had to reread the first chapters to remember what this thing was about. Even back then in 2005/1006 it wasn't that original anymore to have Harry been trained by the founders, but it was done well. The author didn't focus on the training, instead some bits and pieces about Harry's time with the founders are mentioned every now and then.

After rereading the first chapters I still like the story and its premises, though some parts of the writing and the clichés irk me. Way too often people are "shocked" watching Harry's abilities; the snake is at least one familiar too many; of course he has two animagus forms; etc. Nevertheless the use of clichés never goes over the top.

The way Harry (now 21 years old) interacts with Dumbledore and Snape is ok if not really good: Of course Dumbledore is manipulative, but 'in a good way'; Harry still dislikes Snape but accepts him (who doesn't know it's Harry he has to deal with).

Based on what I read now and what I recall from reading it five years ago I now would rate it rather "almost recommendable" than "brilliant" - though it is more of a pleasure to (re-)read it than just a guilty pleasure.