1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Freaking Computers!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Gabrinth, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

For some god damned reason both my macbook and mp Microsoft desktop have decided to completely fuck up.

The powercord on my macbook has decided to stop working completely so I am writing this with 11% power. For a while, if I bent it a certain way it worked, but now it has just completely kicked the bucket, and, as I don't have a car and my dad is sick as a dog, I can't go get a new one.

My desktop has completely stopped working. For some god damned reason the power button just doesn't work. I've put the powercord in different sockets and shit, but it just doesn't work. Also, I am pretty sure it isn't the power cord that is the problem there, because when I plug it in a little green light starts blinking really fast (oddly I remember it not blinking but just staying green, so that might show the problem...)

I guess the only real thing I am asking for help with is the desk top. I NEED my computer access, or I will die. It is as simple as that. Anyone know why a power button just wouldn't work? Anyone know if Compaqs have a little green light on the back and if that light blinking means there is a problem?

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Where's the fast blinking light coming from?

If its on the motherboard, it's either a light showing an unstable power suply feed, or a post code telling you why it won't work.

Take note of the flashes, see if it's a few long a few short, etc. if it lasts longer then 7 seconds or so it's not a post code, and the power supply's probably fucky.

3. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

Motherboard manuals shall provide the information for which to decode the blinking of that green light, if it is indeed on the motherboard.

It could be the network port as it will light up orange and green even when the PC is turned off, but has power still going to it.

My best guess would be the I/O panel plug for the power switch has come loose. Consult your motherboard manual and it will show the position it plugs into. The little lead will have power or something printed on it.

4. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    The funny thing is he has no computer so he can't read your responses ^_^.

I'd see if you can't send your power cord in though because a new laptop cord is $150 which is fucking stupid (I've bought 2 >_>)

Don't take the laptop into a repair shop since you know it's the cord. I did that the first time it happened and I didn't know what the problem is and my bill came out to be $250 for a new cord.

5. Midknight

6. Midknight

What the fuck, power cords for laptops are that expensive?!?! Shit the one from my job a toshiba laptop, the power cord is identical in appearance to the power cord for my ps2, jesus

7. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Most companies overprice shit just cuz they like getting money. You will find hardly any company that actually cares about customers anymore. And if you do, they're a small company (virtually almost non-existant) and eventually bought out.

On to topic.

Your desktop power switch problem just might be the motherboard connection to it. Your power button connects to the motherboard with a wire.

As for your Laptop/Book thing, the connection thing probably needs to be resaudered (sp). I'd suggest learning how to do that in the future, seeing as how most computer repair places cost too much and take a chunk out of your paycheck.

8. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Thankfully, I have three year accidental insurance for my laptop. It will be 5-7 days until they send me a new battery/cord.

And is there any way that I can fix the button on my desktop? (I assume that is the problem because the blinking light is on the back of the computer, not on the motherboard. I only mentioned it because for some reason I remember it being solid, not blinking)

And I am on my brother's old, slow ass computer. It works, but not have as well as mine.

9. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

Yeah, it's stupid but there's not much choice. Car adapter was only $30...but I didn't feel like going out to my car everytime I wanted to use my computer XD

10. Midknight

11. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

Standard from Future Shop or Best Buy for me~

12. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

US$150 is probably around 6 hours pay for me... I'd bloody well make my own in less time. There's always a way.

If the AC adapter is fine then it should be a cinch to splice in a new power cable. My laptop power supply is 19V providing 4.74Amps. That's not much to worry about. I'd get some advice before I did it, only because I've never screwed around with power cables and I wouldn't want to create a future fire hazard. But the project seems pretty simple, is interesting enough for noobs, and will expand your basic skill set.

You'll need electrical tape and a cheapy crimping tool most likely.

Ah, google to the rescue http://www.google.com/search?q=repair+laptop+cord

The first link is step by step instructions with pictures of what to do. You can't get much better than that! Laptop Power Adapter and Supply - Illustrated how to repair laptop power cords

$150? Fuck that.

Yak.

13. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

wtf? Darius.

I take it that you buy the original chargers?

I've bought three in total and they worked just fine. Despite being manufactured by radioshadack and not HP.

Plus it saved me 60 dollars a piece.

They work exactly the same, so try those next time. =)

14. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There, fixed that for you.

15. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

If you are saying that they broke because they were from Radioshack and not HP that isn't the case.

I guess the total number makes them seem like they aren't manufactured well, but I should explain myself a bit more to prevent confusion.

I bought the first one and it never broke.

My little sister lost the cables, which are adaptable for different computers.

I bought my second.

Then I recently bought a third, because this is a different laptop and the first charger didn't fit it.

So yeah. They are pretty good.

Yak: HP makes chargers that have thin cables IMO, and are rather easy to twist and eventually they start peeling. Pretty sure they are different makers. ;)

Edit: OK. As was explained to me. Radiochack doesn't manufacture shit, just re-brands it.

Well I got them at Radioshack anyways. And they were called igo Power Supply or something. [I know, the name is lacking. :/ ]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  16. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Radioshacks brand in Nexxtech isnt it?