1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Descriptions of Weasleys and Ramblings...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Syn, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

where in canon does it describe the weasleys' looks?

i'm curious because just based on initial impressions over the years (without deliberating on it too much) i've never pictured molly and arthur weasley to be very attractive.

i remember canon as saying bill is "cool"...but i don't remember anything else other than their hair color, and height/stockiness.

i'm curious because of all the lame-ass fanfics that have ginny to be some superbabe!model - when in fact i just cannot see molly and arthur producing such a fine genetic specimen.

even if ginny in canon is sporty-spice - doesn't harry realize that:

a) that girls more often than not will end up resembling their mother...and i've never pictured molly weasley to be anything but plump and dumpy.
    b) british women, despite being fit in youth, can turn into some of the ugliest women in the world (sorry brits, you know it's true)

going back to sporty-spice...how cliched is it that rowling has the popular sporty hero falling for the popular sporty chick?

lame.

and there's precedent for it too with cho. why would loner-all-his-life!harry fall for girls who really don't have much in common with him? not to mention, for as much as harry likes attention - why would he fall for girls that thrive on attention?

lame.

i donno, the last two books, and even GoF somewhat - has read to me like i'm watching a really lame teen movie. and at least in the lame teen movies, the popular protagonist usually falls for the overlooked girls.

meh.

2. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Meh... you're right, of course. No offense to any British women out there though.

I pictured Molly to be your typical middle-aged mother; plump, but not overly fat, medium height, red hair (duh), brownish eyes.

Arthur, the movies just ruined him for me. After all, Ron had to get tall and gangly from somewhere right?

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ginny has never been discribed as overly atractive so she aint sporty spice... portapotty spice maybe but not sporty... both she and herman, who get SERIOUS beauty boosts in fanfics are slightly below to just average...

4. Syn

Syn Fourth Year

maybe the weasels get their looks from their grandparents?

perhaps the boys look more like gideon and fabian than arthur.

speaking of that, how did the prewett's name their sons interesting sounding european names like gideon and fabian...but then name their red-headed tool of a daughter molly?

strange.

yeah, the movies hork me over in regards to looks. i can't imagine anyone, much less boy-hound lavender going after a ron that looks like a grinch-reject (sorry rupert...you've got an ugly mug).

bonnie wright? she's supposed to be the fabulous ginny weasely in a couple years? she's going to need to hope puberty really is nice to her (which can happen very easily i suppose).

eh, i'm holding my breath for a remake of the potter movies sometime before i die.

5. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I agree with you on Molly and Arthur's appearances, however I know loads of people who look completely different from their parents, and almost everyone is way taller than their parents.

6. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Yeah, for me honestly, I pictured Dr. House from the Stuart Little movies as a good sort of Arthur Weasley. Look at his imdb primary photo here to see what I mean: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0491402/

For Molly Weasley, it was usually something like Mrs. Garrett. Not exactly attractive or ugly, just somewhere between average and plump-sized with lots of smiles and very motherly: http://www.televisionhits.com/factsoflife/pics/Rae.jpg

The Mrs. Weasley in the movies reminds me too much of Eddy from Ab Fab.

7. Aquylyne

Aquylyne First Year

Well since Billl IS banging FLeur I am guessing he is probably supposed to be attractive.

8. ShadowedDarkness

ShadowedDarkness Second Year

Mrs. Weasely has had quite a few children so that could be part of it, but for the most part I sort of assumed they were average in looks. Bill was described different, and Charlie probably has numerous burns.

9. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Ginny IS supposed to be attractive in canon. I don't like it, but JK said it in interviews, so...

10. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

i honestly doubt JKR would know what attractive is after she created such a monster as Ginny Weasley
    i mean come on people just saying that name is like ugh. It honestly doesnt sound that great to me. Just say it outloud to yourself and you'll see what im saying.

11. razz

razz Seventh Year

Read between the lines. JKR can hardly go about blatantly stating how 'incredibly gorgeous' all her 'golden' characters are - the press would eat her. Think about it - hundreds of poor little ugly kids killing them selves over a visible slytherin-streak. The words 'cool' and 'popular' (Cho, Harry, and yeah - GINNY etc) are like metaphors screaming "I'm Attractive!" She doesn't really need to spell it out.