1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Lily Potter and the Worst Holiday by bobsaqqara - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by scaryisntit, Mar 11, 2008.

1. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I looked everywhere I could think that this story would be to no avail, so I really do apologize if it is a respost like the last one.

Title: Lily Potter and the Worst Holiday
    Author: bobsaqqara
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Angst (I disagree with the latter, but meh)
    DLP Gategory: Alternate's
    Pairing: Harry/Hermione
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 28,439
    Updated: December 2, 2005
    Published: July 10, 2005

Status: Complete (3 chapters + 1 epilogue type thing, 28k words)
    Summary: AU Sixteen years to the day after her first born son was murdered, Professor Lily Potter must deal with the arrival of six unknown people. Post OotP.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2477819/1/Lily_Potter_and_the_Worst_Holiday

I found this earlier today and quite enjoyed it. Basically, the Ministry Six get thrown into an AU where Harry died as a baby and Lily and James survived. From then on it is merely dealing with Harry and Lily, as well as Voldemort, of course.

I found the story to be very well written and rounded. At only 28k words, a lot does happened without any plot holes or questions left unanswered.

Note: The H/Hr is present, but not in your face, for those that dislike it. The focus is on Lily, hence the title.

Overall, I give it a 4.5/5, rounded up due to how easily I found myself drawn into the world and story.

Checked by Minion, December 25, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  2. Jolersoer

Jolersoer Third Year

Wasn't so bad, but not vey interesting. I don't like the end and the whole plot plot feel a bit off. Some good ideas but nothing exceptionnal.
    I give it a 3/5 because I'm in a good mood.

3. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Meh.....take it or leave it. Probably leave it. 2.5/5

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I enjoyed it, actually, which will probably put me in the minority here.

I found it to be well written, about the right length, and one of the better "Harry goes to AU and finds his family" fics. Though it's unfair to compare a short story to joe6991's epic Defiance of the Hero, which is far better, it's not bad for what it does. 3.5/5--it gets an extra half point from me for a decent Hermione portrayal (and the brutality with which she dispatches Death Eaters).

5. The Sour Kraut

The Sour Kraut Seventh Year

Besides breaking the first Potter Law, it's a nice read. The writing is good, if a bit mushy at first, and the plot progresses fast. I like Hermione in this story, especially her arrogance towards Voldemort. There are a few good ideas, for example the deaths of Wormtail and Crouch.
    Voldemort's death was a bit anticlimactic, though.
    I didn't like Lily much. In the end, she was only there to feel guilty and worry about her 'babies'.

And I still don't get how the Death Eaters got into Hogwarts. The tale about Dumbledore vanquishing Voldemort wouldn't have been accepted as easily as it was made out, too. There were too many witnesses.

All in all 3.5/5.

6. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I thought it was a nice short read, much better than the majority of the "goes to AU and meets family" stories out there. For the gripes about it being from Lily's POV, while I normally can't stand anything that is not written from Harry's POV this didn't seem to bother me all that much as it still focused on Harry. Overall, I'd say its a nice way to burn 15 minutes. 4/5

7. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

At first, I thought it was a crackfic. Seriously, "Lily Potter and the Worst Holiday", couldn't be more unoriginal.

But then, looking at the beginning, it looks decent.

8. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

Well dam, if it was H/L i would so read more. 2.5/5.

9. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

mmm... i really did not like the way Harry and Hermione were in this story, i don't know why so don't asked me, something just didn't sit right with me while i was reading this story.

Also the ending.... The ending... I don't know what to say... 'SHIT' comes to mind.

2/5 - Thats only because of wormtails death, and that generous since im sure I have read a story where he dies the same way...

10. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

After reading the first few chapters, I stopped. Characters are just bad.

Harry fainting after he sees his mother (the mother he never knew) is plain stupid in my opinion. I stopped there.

11. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

EDITED the first post and thread title to reflect corrected author's name. (These things are important when people try to dupe search for fics to post in For Review.)

More than a few things in this fic, I have trouble stomaching. You really have to suspend disbelief on a number of aspects to get through this. Lily toasting Voldemort with a killing curse for one, how cliched Voldemort acts for another, the mudblood beaver's goofy super-ness and attitude, fainting and cliched angst of the 'Mum!-Dead baby!' variety...

But there are so damn many fics that start with the whole travel to an alternate dimension idea and get abandoned, or get hung up on the angstiness as James must always hate and proclaim 'you're not my son!' and 'oh woe is me.' This one on the other hand is a very quick and short fic and it's complete. Those things impress me so much more than anything else. The author had a story to tell, and got it out in four chapters and under 30,000 words. Fucking standing ovation bravo from me.

Considering some of these cliches weren't near as bad in '05 as they are now, I can excuse many of them. Overall, it's basically Recycle Bin fodder around a 3/5, but for completing a story and doing it briefly, I'll round it up to 4/5.

A completed average story trumps the greatest WIP every time in my book.

12. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

This is light, short, fun, with some intense bits and just enough fluffy stuff for leavening. I doubt I'll read it again, but it was good for a Thursday morning. What's interesting is that it *doesn't* feel like there's a lot left out. The story really comes off as complete in itself. There's no sense of dangling threads, no wondering what happens next.
    2.5/5

13. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

I was going to give this a 2 out of 5 until I read this, then I had to give it to the DLP Fantasy Football Premiership (the only fantasy league that matters) Champion - that is a valid point. How often do we see these massacres go unfinished?

God - I remember one story where Harry (and Luna) went back in time to meet his parents and they (his parents) didn't believe him and it was totally alright for the longest time. In fact, it made sense that his parents didn't buy that bullshit. But with each chapter Harry would pull off a Steve Urkelesque catastrophe and totally fucking blow any trust he had received early on and it was a great pairing for a long ass time - Harry/Luna - and then all of a sudden Ginny shows up and I seriously lost my mind.

It wasn't even explained. She just appeared.

And then all of a sudden Harry wasn't really Harry, and he goes... back into the past? Or maybe it was the future. All I know is I have never been quite the same since that night so long ago. I seriously can't wrap my mind around it.

My mind literally shut down around Chapter 30 of this thing. Syaoran was making fun of me.

Anyway, where was I?

Oh yes.

3/5.

Or for the disembrained who prefer arbitrary numbers that give off the appearance that you really have this elaborate system of judging stories that includes decimals and bunnies:

20.1/33.5

14. Alec_potter

Alec_potter Squib

Am in minority in this one...I thought it was a decent fic.... plot was ok. No major loop holes. Pairing irrelevant. And yes as nonjon said it is imp. that it was finished.
    4.25/5 in my book.