1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FF.net help

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jenkins, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

I was wondering, is it possible to edit your stories once they have already been uploaded onto FF.net? If not, do I have to delete my story to change the chapters?

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you have to delete them, I'm not sure though as I have the same problem.

3. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

You can replace each chapter with a new document. I think you keep the reviews, but I've never tried it.

4. liath

liath Seventh Year

Ahh, new to writing fanfiction, huh.

Well, here's what you do:

When you log in, go to the Stories section and then the "Contents/Chapters" tab.

Once there, click the link under "export" to send the chapter to your document manager. Go to the document manager, edit whatever you need to, then replace the current chapter with the one you just edited.

And yes, you keep your reviews.

5. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You! Update!

6. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Listen to liath. He is wise.

The same place you "Add chapter" is right above where you "replace chapter".

Replacing a chapter does not remove reviews, does not send out new alerts, does not change the fic's "update" date. You can replace any chapter at any time (a one-shot marked complete, chapter three in a fic with thirty chapters, etc...). I will frequently spot a small typo in some old fic, export the chapter with the error, edit and fix the typo and then replace it. Only takes a minute and can turn an errant "their" into "they're".

It's a pretty simple and useful way to pretend you never made a mistake in the first place.

7. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When I am beta'ing works for different authors, they are all scared when I tell them to go back and rewrite certain chapters because "their reviews might disappear!" Jesus, review whoring makes me angry. When you start writing, man, or if you are already doing so, please never ask for a certain number of reviews before you'll post again or put up pairing polls ... you have just lost one potential reader if you do.

8. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah I'm new to it, and I was pissed off with the first 2 chapters but only just realised it after I posted them.

Oh the woes of fanfiction.

9. LuckyFelix

LuckyFelix Seventh Year

I feel the same way about that, it's a guaranteed way to make sure I do NOT review a story when you beg for reviews.

I for one don't particularly care for the number of reviews I receive. I could do without "Hey, this is great!" and such reviews...while they're nice, they don't really add much. A good constructive review noting the faults of the story and/or highlighting the strong points is much better. It actually helps me make the story better, and thats better for everybody I think.

10. liath

liath Seventh Year

Admirable.

Honestly, I'm a review-whore. Them reviews feed my ego. ^^

11. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I'm with liath.

Constructive criticism > "Great. Update soon!"

"Great. Update soon!" > no review at all

No review at all tells the author absolutely nothing other than their hit count went up and no comments were made. "Great. Update soon!" feeds the ego, tells the author they enjoyed the chapter/fic, reminds the author that people are still reading the story and want more.

Constructive reviews make you want to be a better author.

Useless ones make you want to continue authoring.

Mind you, that's me and liath. Not all authors feel the same way.

12. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Never seen a 'Hey! Give me fifty reviews or I won't post the next chapter! Chop chop!' out of you before, man. Loving reviews is fine, I enjoy writing them as much as I enjoyed reading them when I used to write myself. What I'm talking about is whoring for reviews to the point where you are forcing the readers to review or else you won't post at all. What you do is fine, you deserve it, but what some mediocre nobody does when they decide that their work isn't 'getting the recognition it deserves' is what pisses me off. Either start writing better or don't write, is what I say. Then again, who's the well known author and who's Kolskit?

13. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

It gets irritating when you realize that the same user's been submitting copy and paste reviews over and over again, lol.