1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

So yeah, I was just checking out the For Review section a few minutes ago, and saw the title There Can Be Only One. I know jack shit about discworld(which the story is apparently a crossover of), but it did bring back an older idea for me.

Anyone remember when Highlander was just a flick Christopher Lambert starred in, and it was still a cool premise? (read: they hadn't gone so overboard that it was a fucked up tv series, 6 movies, and a weird made for tv movie that absolutely blew) You know, a person dies a violent death only to discover that now they can live forever, so long as said person's head isn't forcefully separated from his shoulders?

And this got me thinking: couldn't it be a cool premise that the reason our favorite, lightning-bolt-scarred savior lived because he was born to be one of these immortals? Ish? I have no idea if this has been done before (if it has, I haven't seen it), or if it would even work at all in fanfiction...but I thought I'd share to get it out of my head. So yeah. Any thoughts?

2. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

I like this idea a lot. I'd suggest that Walden Macnair be another immortal, given his penchant for chopping things' heads off with an axe large enough to give Cloud an inferiority complex. Another thing to think about: do Dementors effect immortals? Do they leave behind a helpless, immortal shell whose powers can be absorbed through the Quickening, or do they remove the immortal's powers? On a related note, the Quickening provides a way to pace Harry's power growth. If Harry receives his first power boost from killing Macnair, it'll give him a lot more physical strength, but Walden is a weaksauce wizard, so Harry won't be levitating schools by chapter 10. Speaking of "Hope," a Harry/Gabrielle pairing would be a nice nod to the TV show (hot, younger, French, blonde).

Horcruxes or not, Voldemort (and any Death Eaters that can't cast Sectumsempra) will be hard-pressed to defeat an immortal Harry.

3. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

@ Augurey: Why would an immortal want to serve under a wannabe-immortal (Voldemort) ?

This wouldn't work IMO, for the sole reason that other Immortals would know Voldemort was a half-blood (being, you know, immortal and all that), and probably squash him down before Harry was even a thought, much less born.

And yes, Voldemort would be very hard-pressed to defeat an immortal Harry. If you want to do it, make both Harry AND Voldemort immortal - a REAL immortal, not that wraithy-horcrux shite.

4. Illnill

Illnill First Year

I think Kinder Cleric has already suggested this.

But nontheless it is a nice idea. Someone with talent could do wonders with this.

5. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

If Kinder already suggested it, then maybe someone will make a good story out of it.

I wasn't actually thinking about having any Death Eaters being Immortals. Or many members of the Wizarding World at all, really. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of 3 of them. Harry and Voldemort, for sure. The third...I was thinking Grindelwald or Dumbledore.

Why Grindelwald or Dumbledore? If you exclude the Deathly Hallows (objects) from the plot, then you have two supremely powerful, brilliant wizards duelling each other...wouldn't you expect it to be a duel to the death? But we know from Deathly Hallows (book 7) that both survived. Maybe, instead of some twisted gay love story, the concept of true Immortals could explain that.

I don't see the quickening as a viable plot machination for this concept, but the Immortals being drawn to kill each other would explain the reasons Harry and Voldemort are so drawn to each other, and possibly the way to find the 'power the dark lord knows not'...but yeah.

As I said, it was just a plot bunny I wanted out of my head. It'd be fun to see where a good author might take this.

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Word. I just feared someone taking it and making the 'good' side unrealistically unbalanced (like in Marvel Xovers and such).

7. Argosh

Argosh Groundskeeper

There's one problem with this idea, Highlander immortals don't age after their first death (12 year old Kenny from the series etc).