PDA

View Full Version : Barb's Trilogy

Amerision
04-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Ok, I read this story a while back, and recently, I've been thinking about it almost constantly. Perhaps if I enter into some sort of discussion I can get some closure.

Basically, the story, while VERY well written, is so dissapointing in the end, its almost painful.

SPOILERS AHEAD_______________________

Having Harry lose his magic because he wanted to save Malfoy in the end was just...utter bullshit. The ending totally ruined it for me. For the first time, I read a tasteful H/G, probably the only one.

Second, the story had some parts that were so unbelievable, it was...well, unbelievable. The whole broom squadron scene in the forest was just surreal.

Had JKR stayed quiet about it all, I would have believed that the stories were geniune Harry Potter canon. The teenage angst, the bullshit way to defeat Voldemort (Making Ginny the Girl Who Lived because of Draco's Love???), and the fluffy giving of second chances, all JKR material. Harry is totally Gryffindor. Slytherin, is of course, evil. How else would Harry be a Gryffin Animagus?

Barb pushes so much Judiasm into the story, its kind of forced. Its nice that you're Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, but keep it out of HP fanfiction. Actually, I would like to see Muslim stuff, would be kinda interesting :).

The Second Story was Amazing. The scene where Harry is forced to kill his mother stands out in my mind as the most memorable scene in all the fiction I have ever read. The emotional shock is just amazing. I have no doubt in my mind that Barb is a wonderful writer, but it is just too canon for my tastes. Harry is for the most part, the hated goody 2 shoes naive Gryffindork. Even JKR portrays him darker.

Example?

When Harry is sad at his loss of magic and his ability to properly see Hogwarts (as he is a muggle now and is now forced to see Hogwarts as some decrepit ruin) Dumbledore pats him on the back and says soemthing along the lines of:

"Harry, even now, you are the most magical person I have ever met."

The breif fling with Katie Bell was cool, but of course, Harry MUST pair up with Ginny.

The religious references, as stated above, were overwhelming. The theory of the afterlife left me wondering what kind of crazy theoligist person Barb was. At one point it seemed like Barb was trying to convince herself, not the reader, that we each suffer our own hell or heaven, based on how we view it.

Dumbledore is entirely useless in the story. Voldemort is used more as some symbol, temptation or absolute evil than a person. He is some unstoppable force. Not much character there. This I feel, is because of its nature as a Post GoF story. Book 1 -> 4 were entirely fantasy based, ith little in the way of problems.

Without OOTP, the series gets entirely too loose and easy to meld. I feel that OOTP is the drive for Darker fanfiction, as it is the only book with canon evidence of a darker Harry.

Without the prophecy, Ginny is able to kill the Dark Lord. It is as ridiculous as it sounds. Yes, Harry is not special at all in this story. He's just some random, average bloke with some really good luck. The series's realism takes a big hit as it goes on.

All in all, the trilogy is filled with incredible amonts of teenage angst, love and goodyness. Book 1 and 2 are pretty good, but book 3 just ruins it all. If you are looking for a canon answer to the story, and have no need for anything dark and love fluff, look no more. Here it is.

Thoughts anyone?

zUzaque
04-18-2006, 02:46 AM
I've never read it. It was always one click away, but the Ginny part scared me away. From what I just read, I thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I didn't read it.

Dark Syaoran
04-18-2006, 01:15 PM
I havnt read it either. Despite all the good things I heard about it in the early days it never caught my attention. I think I may have tried once... didnt get passed chapter 2 or so.

ip82
04-18-2006, 01:44 PM
A legend. I loved HHr romance and animagus training in part 1 and Slytherin!Harry alternate universe in part 2, but I agree that the final book totally sucked.

Almost everything about it was stupid - Harry/Katie romance doomed to failure, a guy who can turn muggles into wizards, foolish Dumbledore and ultra evil Voldemort and Harry feeling guilty for stealing Ginny from Malfoy. The ending is probably the worst Voldemor's death scene in the history of HP fan-fiction. I mean, after all the duels and skills Harry had acquired, he was still helpless in front of Voldemort's freezing stare. How lame is that? Not to mention that Harry's entire role in Voldemort's demise was to trick him into eating WWW candy, so his enchantments would ware off. WHAT.THE.FUCK. And then, he is killed by god damn Ginny, thanks to Draco's power of love? I won't even go into Harry sacrificing his magic to revive his rival for Ginny's love. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I agree that the third part, and especially the ending partially ruins the whole triology, but it's still a classic.

DarthBill
04-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I read that before I even found ff.net. And that was a while back. I thought the changing history jazz was weird, but it was a heck of a lot better than Harry being a friggen muggle. This was far too much of a religious experience for me. Every part of it was about Good triumphing over Evil and the resisting of temptation. And it was far too long for that.
:microwave:

Tobang
04-18-2006, 08:04 PM
This is the first time I have EVER seen this fic discussed by a majority of people who disliked it.

I could not possibly talk about this fic with out insulting it so I’m just going to be brief….

I will give the author credit for being a VERY good writer, but she is definitely not my type of writer. If you like drama and angst I can guarantee you wont get much sleep for a few weeks if you start to read this, but if your like me and actually like plot devices to move a story along then you are in for one frustrating ride.

Book one seems to be totally lacking any form of a plot device besides drama. Book two admittedly has a very good plot device, but no worries b/c as soon as book three comes out we are back again into angst/drama/shit.

Barb can write buildup for a fight scene fairly well, and she can write aftermath scenes vary well, but the actual fight scenes are laughably worse then the rest of her story. Did anyone else notice the fact that barb only used like 10 new spells in the whole series, and that almost all those were just variations of confusion charms? (You think your on the sealing, you see double, your right and left get flipped…ect.) Not to mention she doesn’t seem to get the concept that people could actually try to dodge a spell. And she did one more thing in fight scenes that infuriated me beyond all others…she would have two people facing each other prepared to duel, the duel would start and then one of the duelers would fire off a spell catching the other person off guard. (she did this MANY times in her story…like 80% of the fight scenes) How the fuck are you not prepared for the person your facing not to throw a spell at you when you start a DUEL…

Myst
04-18-2006, 08:35 PM
only tried reading this series once, Ive been reccomended it bunchs of times, but like Syaoran, I only ever got to chapter 2, never any further.

Narf
04-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Meh, I read up to the part where the stones fall on the worker...the story honestly wasn't that good to that point. And seeing all the criticism above, I'm glad I didn't read it. I mean, [spoiler:0c697679de]Harry giving up his magic to save the bloody ferret?[/spoiler:0c697679de] That's just ridiculous. I am incredibly glad I've never read this.

The Sinner
04-19-2006, 10:49 PM
I read this story WAY back when I first got into the fanfiction, or for that matter the HP community at all. Back in those days I was a serious H/G shipper and would fight all the good qualities of it like the god damn pope fighting against abortion! Like I said, that was back in the day... and needless to say I was a naive child who did not his left from right in terms of fanon.

The trilogy in all was well written and had I never knew it was fanfiction and had not read book 5 to the point pages were falling out of it, I would have genuinely thought that it was written by JKR. It has more or less her same writing style and way of leaving plot holes EVERYWHERE. To me its almost as if Barb wants to create a new fanfiction community around her series with us kids writing off her canon.

Book 1 was a very good story, but was far to angst and filled with teen bullshit. I get plenty of that in my own life, thank you very much. I didn't like how Aberforth was like a muggle gardener and all that, but it could argubly be feasible in canon. The way she portrayed snakes was something that was well done and calculated. The limits she created for their sight was very good and believable.

Book 2 I liked even more, and I found myself always hoping that in the next chapter Harry would be going back to his own time, just so I could see what would happen. I have a rule about time traveling fics. I always find myself thinking of how time will constantly keep looping itself around that one event, like in Book 3 of cannon. Harry and Hermione are always and forever going to keep traveling back in time and reappearing back in time until... well, the end of time! It justs makes me think WAY too much. And on a final note, if Voldemort was around for as long as he was in the Barbs 2nd book, wouldn't he have won the war?

Book 3 was... depressing is the best way to put it. Okay, it started off good and I had high hopes for it. HAD! And then we get to the final battle. I thought it was complete BS how Voldemort was weakened because of mandrake candies! WTF!!! Its going to take far more to defeat Voldemort then a couple of candies shoved down his throat. And why in the hell would Harry ever give his magic up to save Malfoy? Is that even legal? Barb should be tried for such a travesty! Harry would rather see Draco kicked around dead then give his magic up just because some broad loved him or what not. Bleh. Absolute garbage.

Then there is the sequel! SURPRISE! DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING DID YOU!!! Well, there is a sequel, and I wish I had never read it. It was written with permission by some fan of hers and it just put the icing on the cake for destroying all the good there was in Barb's work. In a nutshell, Ginny left Harry to become a major Quidditch star, taking their son and more or less divorcing him. Then the bee asks Harry to teach DADA, EVEN THOUGH, even though he can no longer do magic! If you think that is great, you should have seen what Harry was doing before all the marital issues and the job offer.

Tobang
04-19-2006, 11:39 PM
On a side not has anyone read the prequel?

I refused to read it b/c I knew for a fact that it would cause me to break my monitor. (I would of thrown my fist threw it)

Maybe it was just me, but did anyone else get the impression that Lilly is a whore in the series? Why on earth would anyone want to read a story about some love pentagon between Lilly MWPP and Snape. *shudders* Fangirls deserve death just for insinuating drama shit like that…

LT2000
04-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Blah blah...Death Eater Cho...blah blah...Ginslut, you get the deal.

Amerision
04-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Lily (NOT LILLY), is shown as a slut in the series, yeah.

Its kind of unbelievable.

Remus tells Harry how thankful he was of her for "relieving" him time to time when he was caught in the insane wolfsex urges.

And then she's with Sirius after leaving Snape after the death of James.

If I were Harry I would have killed Remus for telling me my mother participated in rough wolfsex to relieve his urges.

Dark Syaoran
04-19-2006, 11:59 PM
If I was Harry I would have taken a sword and removed Lily's head from her shoulders.

The more I hear about these stories the more glad I am I never attempt to go further than Chaper Two.

EsperJones
04-20-2006, 07:31 PM
This was actually the first fanfiction I read. I actually tried download OotP, and downloaded this instead, and couldn't tell the difference besides ... "hey, this seems to be a bit different than I remember it."

It's written entirely canon-based, so at this community, I expect almost all reviews will be negative, however one thing that can be said is that it's all good grammar, good spelling, good length, semi-original plots (for the time), and some interesting twists.

The sequel you were talking about I didn't read, but I did read the other sequel in which all the Dragons are getting ill, and Harry gets his magic back through some cosmic imbalance or other.

Not my type of story, but not the horrible shit its made out to be.

Zero
04-20-2006, 07:49 PM
If I was Harry I would have taken a sword and removed Lily's head from her shoulders.

The more I hear about these stories the more glad I am I never attempt to go further than Chaper Two.

I second that, and this story is supposed to be 'legendry'. I'm so happy I never even looked for this fic.

There seems to be some fanfic author obession to make Harry a complete punching bag, where nothing ever goes right for him and he ALWAYS has to sacrifice himself.

Amerision
04-20-2006, 08:01 PM
The sequel you were talking about I didn't read, but I did read the other sequel in which all the Dragons are getting ill, and Harry gets his magic back through some cosmic imbalance or other.

Any chance anyone can link me to that? Just so I can feel better about Harry's ending.

noddwyd
04-20-2006, 08:02 PM
like so many unfortunate people, this was one of the first hp fanfics I read. I do look back and think that the second story was cool and had some interesting moments in it, but for the most part the trilogy was contrived drama that really had no plot to stand on. At the end she also tries to make all kinds of statements about her own philosophies and ideas, which personally I enjoy reading even if I don't agree but it should have been toned down a bit for a fic, not to mention the Girl Who Lived thing was utter bs. Her obsession with Ginny was both what drove her to write this and simultaneously what made it so much less than it could have been. In the end though, I won't deny she's a decent writer overall, and can really do something when she wants to.

The Sinner
04-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Word has it that Barb is writing an original story based on werewolves. I wonder if she plans on putting the sex drive into the story.

The sequel I am referring to was official "sanctioned" by Bard. In it Harry was a complete bitch and the worlds most whipped thing ever! Whipped Cream does not even come close to how bad Harry was. And in this sequel, Ginny was written out to be a complete whore... so it had a few merits to it!

Lunarian
04-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Back in the time it was still being written I liked it, and even thought it as the best fanfiction out there. For the first two books at least, eventhough too many things were ruined for Harry.

He gets with Hermy and they have lots of sex, but then the whole 'not in love' B/S deal happens. I was actually rootin for Harry to get Ginny until the part were it was revealed she really did want him but was letting herself be seduced be ferret instead cuz he's got problems, nevermind the fact Draco's nailin anythin that walks at the sametime.

I liked the whole second book alternate universe, mostly because of Jamie. Then of course she has to die too....

I read up to like chapter 6 of the third book... then stopped. By that point she had completely killed the story for me.

I still remember reading the many posts on the Tarot reading phrophecy heh, kinda pathetic to think back on now, even though Harry got Ginny as he wanted to in the end... by that point I hate the Ginsluts portrayal and wish Harry would just go shack up with Katie again.

eXcalite
03-28-2008, 11:17 AM
I am currently re-reading Barb's Trilogy after about 5 years and was wondering what you think of it. I didn't post this in the Review section because I just wanted to get your oppinion on a fic that introduced many to the idea of fanfiction, or so I've heard.

Cheers

nonjon
03-28-2008, 12:30 PM
What I remember most is that this trilogy, especially the second fic, was where my hatred of Snape was born. I never liked him much, but when Barb made him into Harry's Dad in the alternate universe, that's when I really truly started to despise him with every fiber of my being.

I think it was the opposite reaction from what the author intended.

And while the points of suckitude have an overwhelming majority on the points of awesomeness, I still give this one credit for realistic teenage romance, a clever but cruel way to end it (Save Draco! Take my magic!), and a professional level of quality and care to the writing.

Plotwise, well, I wouldn't re-read this if you paid me twenty bucks to do it.

I do remember there is a follow-up fic on fictionalley that picks up where Barb's trilogy ended and it provided a much happier ending for me.

MERGED: with the identical discussion from way long ago.

Jenkins
03-28-2008, 12:38 PM
...2 year necro post? Am I seeing this right? :mid2

EDIT: Nevermind, Nonjon merged it so it must be ok.

Bratling
03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I only ever made it through the first story. Reading spoilers of how it ended, though, I'm glad I didn't finish it. I detest stories in which Harry loses his magic forever. As far as I'm concerned, Harry Potter without magic=major fail.

Blaise
03-28-2008, 01:22 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Harry Potter without magic=major fail.

Truth. Always and Forever.

Plus, any story where any character sacrifices anything for Draco fucking Malfoy is useless.

Big D on a Diet
03-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I got hooked into the first book and plowed my way through it even once I started to scream at the monitor over her fawning over Draco and emasculation of Harry. Enjoyed the second book a great deal more because it was my first taste of AU Harry, but gave up on the third one pretty quickly.

I actually did start in on the prequel at one point, but lost interest in that as well. Never really cared much for MWPP-era fics.

Mors
03-29-2008, 07:43 AM
I remember getting halfway to chapter five or something like that... but I had read OotP by then so the fail was bloody obvious.

The ending sounds... fail. Squib!Harry is not my thing. Though I'm glad that he gets his magic back.

Thinking about Barb reminds me; has anybody here completed Lori's trilogy? Paradigm of uncertainty / The Show that Never Ends / Hero with a Thousand Faces? I'm thinking about re-reading those, especially since I didn't finish them in the first place and can't remember shit all about them.

Lucullus
03-29-2008, 08:16 AM
I don't think "Hero With A Thousand Faces" was ever completed.

The first fic of the trilogy was pretty good, but I find myself unable to continue reading what is essentially an abandoned series.

Still, it is one of the 'legendary' H/Hr classics.

Helius
03-29-2008, 08:27 AM
I don't think "Hero With A Thousand Faces" was ever completed.

Yep, it never got past chapter 12, which was published back in 2005.

Still, the quality is pretty good for a fanfic started in 2001 when there were only four books around.

Bratling
03-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I think it was still being posted on Barb's yahoo group.

PapaMidNite56
04-01-2008, 01:31 PM
It was my first also but I'm about to re-read it because I have a different perspective on things now, but yeah I was going for H/Hr so the ending sucked.

Amerision
04-02-2008, 09:33 PM
The Second Book was by far the most interesting. I don't really mind Snape if he isn't too intrusive, and the time travel bit was certainly enough to keep me hooked.

Though, this was 2 years ago. Maybe if I read it today I'd think differently.

hchan1
04-02-2008, 10:10 PM
It was good for its time. The second in the trilogy, in particular, was quite well written and an intriguing premise. I could stomach the H/G in this story, mainly because the romance is secondary to the plot. The ending, however, left an incredibly bad taste in my mouth; I'd have a much better lasting impression of the series if it wasn't so godfucking awful.

nonjon
04-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Just in case folks are confused here's links:

The main trilogy:
Book 1, Year 5: Harry Potter and the Psychic Serpent (http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/barb/HPATPS.html)
Book 2, Year 6: Harry Potter and the Time of Good Intentions (or: The Last Temptation of Harry Potter) (http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/barb/HPATTOGI.html)
Book 3, Year 7: Harry Potter and the Triangle Prophecy (http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/barb/HPATTP.html)

Barb's own finished prequel:
The Lost Generation (1975-1982) (http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/barb/TLG2_.html)

Dryad's follow-up to the trilogy
Which he wrote independent of Barb but with her permission and is the one where Harry at least gets his magic back for a happier ending: The Return of the Griffin (http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/dryad/TROTG.html)

Barb has other fics, including one called Replay that I think is unfinished, but to the best of my knowledge all parts of this series are complete.

eXcalite
04-04-2008, 09:48 AM
So I finaly finished it and I must admit that I still love the story and will probably reread it in another five years. The end sucks obviously but I can look past that because the rest makes up for it in my oppinion. The trilogy also introduced me to fanfiction so it will always hold a special place in my heart :D

Memory King
04-04-2008, 11:05 AM
The second book was my favourite by far. The death scene when Harry killed Lily was fantastic and very memorable. Time travel plot worked well, but Voldemort's demise was terribly anti-climatic.

Just checked the epilogue, Harry is not a squib, just blind. Doesn't change the point about the sacrifice, though.

I don't regret reading this story, even if I don't like Draco and Snape at all. It's still far from DLP material, however. Super!ginny got quite a lot on my nerves in some places also.

Lord Ravenclaw
04-04-2008, 11:32 AM
The Psychic Serpent trilogy was my first, and always will be my favorite series of stories, even if the last book was a huge letdown. My favorite, like many others, was the second book where he had to adapt himself to that reality. In all, it's not so much about the magic, it's about the story and the characters, and that makes it special.

I remember getting the link to this series in a newsgroup with "LOL check this out guys, this is hilarious." I kept waiting for hilarity that never came, but I discovered Fanfiction. If you've never read it, I recommend you do so. Just keep an open mind and dread the ending of the third story. It's the only H/G I've ever been able to stomach.

Also, avoid Barb's Replay. If it's the same one I'm thinking of, then it's pretty disappointing. 20 years later....

Mr. Merriman
04-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Like many others, this is the fic that got me into the fanfiction scene. Also, like many others, my tastes have evolved to the point where I cannot even read these stories anymore, because they utilize every single HP Fanfic Device that I now hate.

The end of the series is hugely disappointing. Even when I first read this series and loved it, the ending completely put me off reading anything else put out by Barb.

xeromercy
04-08-2008, 07:53 PM
I can happily say I never reached the ending. I read the first book and most of the 2nd book, but I couldn't get past the beginning of the 3rd book. Didn't like how after all that shit he went through where he killed his mother in the 2nd book he still went back to being the Dursley's bitch over summer.

Even back then when I wasn't a H/G fan I could tolerate the story, I especially liked the snake from the first book. Was pretty sad when he left, funny enough the snake is the most memorable part about the trilogy for me.

Inferi
04-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Barb popped my fanfic cherry too, I remember loving it, until the end when Voldemort got sucker punched by the author to auto-fail. I started reading it as she was writing the first story, it was awesome watching it come together.

Isn't her other story replay the one which was basically a softcore erotica novel about Harry seducing a housewife next door to the dursley's by telling her he's sneaking around her house cause hes MI6 or some such nonsense?(/me goes and checks...yep right one)

I think there's more to it but I kinda just stopped because it was just chapters and chapters(and chapters and chapters) of Harry and this MILF trying to get into some sorta trashy romance, but never quite doing it.

bornagainpenguin
04-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Heh this old thing...

Like so many others this was one of the first Harry Potter fanfics I read, luckily for me it wasn't my first though, The Naked Quidditch Match holds that honor for me. Where I discovered Barb's trilogy was while searching kazaa-lite for a copy of the books. Some wise ass thought it;d be funny to name it as book five...

Fortunately for my sanity I quickly discovered it wasn't actually JKR's version of things, but unfortunately for me I was still in my "words, must read" period and so I actually had the misfortune of having read the entire series...kinda. At the time the wise guy was pushing these over P2P, Barb hadn't actually finished the last book and I wasn't able to find her yahoo group so I was pissed at the ending (without a epilogue). Of course once I finally got my hands on the full epilogue I was even more pissed...

The one thing that stands out for me the most in the series though, was her Azkaban Harry plot device--one of the firsts I think... The Azkaban scenes still set a chill up my spine though, especially the bit with a prisoner next door to him singing broadway songs to ward off the dementors. Harry reasons that he was using happy memories to ward them off only to have it revealed the songs aren't exactly happy memories for him...

Over all the books suck, but that's only because of their close relation to the as then yet undeveloped cannon. These days their onoy worth is as historical curiousities. I wouldn't actually recommend them to anyone here, but perhaps a copy or two to toss at the slash fangirls as a distraction would not be amiss?

--bornagainpenguin