1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New Plot Bunny?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lightning_Fury, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Lightning_Fury

Lightning_Fury Sent Back to India

I'm hoping this is the right place to discuss Ideas and things for HP.

Anyways so I was just thinking about the whole Super Harry thing and how most of the time he doesn't really earn his powers the right way. Then I start thinking about all the times he takes a potion to give him super speed and vampiric abilities while not being a vampire.

So then I start thinking, what if by chance when Remus, Sirius, and James were in the forest one time and Remus bit James and James never told anyone. This could possibly be right before he got Lily pregnant and somehow Harry became a hybrid Werewolf who didn't transform during the full moon but transformed when he wanted to. I have never seen this done have you guys?

Think Underworld.

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

That's possibly the worst thing you could have said, because it is quite possibly the most cliché thing you could have said.

There is so much material in HP fandom right now that was ripped off from Underworld that it's not even funny. I wouldn't mind so much if someone would at least do it well (or finish what they started).

Having said that, I certainly don't mind Super!Harry as long as it's written with some care (as opposed to the people that hate super!Harry unreservedly.

In theory, I wouldn't mind reading such a fic. In theory...

3. Lightning_Fury

Reason I said think underworld was just for the Werewolf Hybrid thing, not the whole entire universe itself. As for Underworld in HP fandom I haven't really noticed to much from that universe. Unless your counting Vampires then i guess you are correct. I'm sorry, But seriously not many Super Harry fics give reason for him being Super. I think that being a Werewolf Hybrid would be awesome in giving him powers without making it sound ridiculously stupid like, a book told him to do a ritual and poof there he is super human Harry Potter.

I don't think I have ever read a fanfic where James Potter is a Werewolf and Harry inherits his traits.

4. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

Neither have I, although it would be ridiculously easy to set up. Dogs and wolves are relatively equal, and wolves ignore rats, but wolves eat stags. Just have Moony attack Prongs one full moon, and there you go.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Animals can't become werewolves, that's why Potter and the rest became animagi, because they couldn't go out with Remus in human form. Thus you would need a reason for James to revert to human form, and that's just gross stupidity on his part, especially when you're in the presence of a werewolf.

Aekiel

6. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

Well if a werewolf bit an animagus while he was in animal form, the wound would carry over when he transformed back to human state wouldn't it? Thus carrying the disease with it. Unless the animal and the human are two entirely seperate entities and you heal when you transform...

I agree with Warlocke. By saying Underworld, I lost all interest.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, it is categorically stated in the books that animagi cannot become werewolves while in animal form. I mean come on, if that weren't the case all the Marauders would have been werewolves by the end of fifth year.

Hell, it's not that difficult to come up with a way to make James change back. He could accidently break a leg while in stag-form and change back to fix it while Sirius tries to keep Remus away. Remus then gets past Sirius and hey presto, you have yourself a brand new Potter werewolf.

Aekiel

8. Lightning_Fury

It doesn't say that they can't become werewolves in cannon, maybe you should read it again, because clearly it says in the 3rd book I think that werewolves are much less likely to attack animagi/animals.

It does not say that they can't become werwolves anywhere.

9. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Magical-Creature/Condition-Harry is almost always fail. A few good ones every now and again, but they're usually discontinued shortly.

Hybrid-Magical-Creature-Harry is autofail. You think Vampire/Werewolf hasn't been done before? Pfft.

10. Lightning_Fury

Not in the way I thought up the plot. It would obviously have to be ridiculously good for me to even wanna read it but still the thought is cool. Plus it actually gives him skills that he inherits the right away instead of on his 17th birthday.

11. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Inherited skills = instant fail.

Harry should work hard and put a lot of time and effort into becoming a good wizard, not getting it for free due to his lineage. That's just retarded. I don't want to read about Instant!Super!Harry, I want to read about Harry putting in the fucking man hours into developing his skills, and forming relationships with people who are useful (ala Maidros' The Roaring Snake) that he can take advantage of. A healthy dose of natural talent is acceptable, but any form of Super!Harry where he inherits skills or by way of a plot device suddenly becomes uber powerful, or can out-duel Snape and Dumbledore at 11, is mega instant fail.

12. Lightning_Fury

You obviously have no idea what I'm trying to say then on this topic.
    I'm not talking about him inheriting freekin God like powers or being the next Merlin or something. He would inherit a slightly less powerful version of his dads werwolf curse. He would have characteristics of a werewolf at times which includes slightly better reflexes and slightly better speed and thought processes etc. He would still have to work his ass off to become a skilled sorcerer though obviously.

13. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

A feral killing machine that pretty much has no thought process, other than seek and destroy, passing on genes that will give it's child mad processing skeelz sounds like a great idea! Go for it man, sounds epic.

Coincidentally I'm reminded of a Simpson's episode.

14. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Inherited skills are by know means an original plot gimmick. If you seriously want to make a story involving this concept, I suggest you don't use Harry's wolfish characteristics as a part of the main plot. They can help him, yes, but do not make a ridiculously overpowered Harry. It's too easy to wander down that dark path. And I'd steer you away from vampires. Throw vampires into the plot, and in 9/10 stories it becomes fixated on vampires, and Harry's relationships regarding them.

15. Zarent

Zarent Seventh Year

In fact, I wouldn't put any focus onto the 'Wolfen Characteristics', when Harry isn't in his wolf form. Instead, use them as the reasoning for Harry's ALREADY THERE high reflexes and speed. Hell, 90% of the fan-fictions you read have Harry dodging a bajillion spells anyway. This just gives a [somewhat] proper explanation. It's better than 'ZOMG QUIDDITCH POWARS MAKES MEH SUPARSPEED!1', at any rate.

Also, does no one else realize that we have a prime opportunity for Ginny to die in a horrible way here? It's how Harry first realizes his Werewolf abilities. Or if you want to stick with the 'Can control it' schpeil, then just have him gather up his friends a la the Marauders, to protect him, and then have them not know how to stop him before he gets to Ginny.

16. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Hey kid, the way you put the idea doesn't much appeal to me, but it also sounds like you have something in your mind that is not just getting across.

Why don't you write an opening chapter of what you're thinking about.

In general any special ability! Harry is not enough of an idea for me, because along with it I need to know how this affects the basic conflict of the HP stories.

Think about it, Harry can fly, Harry has super strength, Harry is a vampire, has esp, is an empath, can melt into walls - all these abilities by themselves or even in total don't really say how the conflict at hand is affected.

Now for example if Harry becoming some sort of hybrid/underworld or whatever you're thinking werewolf, also adds a dimension of werewolf culture, struggle, a new enemy, a new vulnerability, then maybe as a whole it is an interesting idea. You follow?

Frankly I'd rather see something like this happening which by some contrived way negates the prophecy, leading to an Oh shit! for everyone involved. Now that would be a new spin.