1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

An idea that admins/mods may want to think about

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master Slytherin, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I was thinking that we should have a set of awards celebrating the worst fanfiction; it's only fair. You can have sections like Spelling&Grammar, Slash, Plot or even General, Dark Harry, Independent Harry etc.

Ultimately it's up to you guys but I think it might be fun.

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

There's too many candidates and not enough people know what they are...

I mean, everyone knows what the best fics are, but who can honestly say he's read through all the 10,000 M-PREGS and 50,000 SLASH romances? We can pick a shitty fic here and there, but no one here has enough nervs and time to dig through all that shit in search for the absolutely worst one.

3. Master Slytherin

From the ones that we've read, create a short-list for people to vote for. E.g. all those freaky stories in the unreccomended fanfiction thread and Sick&Perverse. We don't have to sift through everything, just the ones that people here have already come across.

4. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

HEY HEY!!!

Don't knock the S&P!!! WE'RE LIKE WOLVES!!! WE ATTACK IN PACKS, BITCH!!!

5. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yesh don't you dare put that shit in Sick and Perverse, me and Charlie will delete it... We only allow bad writing in the form of parodies, or intentional gross out fics

6. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

Frankly, I think it'd be harder to motivate myself to read them all if they're horrible, so I can vote. It'd be like... wtf, I'm reading the worst fanfics on the planet? Why?

7. Master Slytherin

Calm your ass down. Not many can say they've gotten away with calling me a bitch. Crucio. Let that be a lesson to you.

In my defence, I've never set foot in Sick&Perverse, it's just that the summary thing says it contains slash in capital letters. Meh.

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

We could call them the stained-awards.

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Nah it's one thing to mock them, and be brutally honest in reviews, but another alltogether to give the author a "Your work is absolute shit" award. The nominations alone would generate flames that I'd rather not be assed to deal with.

Hell Vorlon alone couldn't handle even 3 people saying they didn't like his fic due to spelling and annoying moments and he went apeshit to the point of being the first one ever banned due to repeat personal attacks and ban evades. And his was runner up in a GOOD award! lol. I really would hate to see how bad things would get if it came down to some Snarry MPREG fics versus some of these others that make your eyes bleed.

Honesty and explanations why to avoid the fics are fine, trying to pick a champ log of shit, in a field of logs of shit.. eh.

10. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Interesting analogy... :lol: But can't despute with the logic.

11. Master Slytherin

Fair enough. It was just a nagging thought.

12. Midknight

I wouldn't mind us voting on a most in need of improvement or something type fic where we could offer the author to come here and get some real helpful work done.

Not a crap story, but one with a author that has potential, the willingness to write and improve, and the patience to deal with any negative things said about his fic. Just a fic that could be good except for a few things that destroy it, that could easily be removed. IP's thread about fics would be a good place to start really

13. Master Slytherin

Yeah, a sort of clinic for the potential stars. There are a few potential brilliant authors out there.

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Well, no need to vote about that, we can do it with everyone.

I don't see why admins in official capacity don't drop notifications (using FFN private messaging thingy) to authors whose stories are being discussed. I know that may seem as mild spam, but speaking as an author, I wouldn't mind at all receiving an e-mail notification that my fic is being discussed on some forum out there so I could go there and answer questions / do PR stuff, lol.

Actually, I was always kinda wondering why that isn't standard practise for everyone being discussed here. People DO have right to defend themselves and their work, after all. I know one of the admins tried to invite me in a review (it was sree i think), but FFN eat up the link. It was pure luck that I stumbled here later on. If he just sent me PM, it'd be much easier...

15. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Perhaps we could in the future, we might get more authors here. =)

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Well, it should be done from midknight's account, so it would seem official. Or even better, open up a new account used only for that.

Make a form, like in e-mail notifications and then only copy/paste... Shouldn't be too much of a problem and it WOULD bring in more authors...

17. Midknight

Way ahead of ya.

Ive actually already sent a staggering number of invites out, both in review and PM. Anytime I read something worth bothering with I invite. I've been doing it since maybe mid October, and we've seen a large increase since around mid November. I'll assume some of them are already here, and just haven't posted yet, or didn't like what they saw.

18. apocalypsemeow

apocalypsemeow Professor DLP Supporter

Well, at least one of them did, I got this site from some author I can't remember the name of with a Dark!Harry fic.