1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Nullifier by Aedalena - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by razz, Jan 23, 2006.

1. razz

razz Seventh Year

Title: Nullifier
    Author: Aedalena
    Rating: T
    Category: Action/Adventure/Drama
    Chapters: 13
    Words: 124,460
    Updated: August 6, 2007
    Published: April 28, 2003
    Summery: Harry Potter, the first nullifier since Salazar Slytherin, doesn't feeling like playing the hero. But when he goes back to the time of the Founders to learn from Slytherin himself, he finds himself in the middle of a war, trapped by enemies old and new.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1325132/1/

Checked by Minion, Nov. 28, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Remember trying this out... Harry seemed like a weakling to me. He's all tough and sarcastic and smartass but when there's some trouble, he don't stand a chance - he can talk the talk, but obviously can't walk the walk. Plus, that super super evil villian was just over the top.

3. razz

razz Seventh Year

No way! I adore this fic. Harry is a bit of a Plastic!Badass, and he is slowly but surely developing a moral conscious, but it's still a good read and definitely worth the time. If only because it's one of the vastly out number well thought out and written stories around.

Ok, the "super evil villian" is a rather unbelievable, but once you get past that…

4. M. Shadow

M. Shadow Guest

For a long time I resisted reading this fic, simply because "Harry goes back in time to the founders' era" is almost invariably badly done. Nullifier was a pleasant surprise.

The story is mostly told from an older Harry’s viewpoint (23 years), and he is snarky, sarcastic, and has an attitude that I find hilarious. Example:

And no, he's not running around slaughtering everything in sight as soon as he arrives, but since only an idiot joins a fight with no clue what's going on or who's fighting, I actually regard that as a plus. Despite this, we have seen signs of rather nice duelling skills, and the last chapter has him off assaulting a castle, so more action might be coming in the future.

The Four Founders of Hogwart's characters are done extremely well, in my opinion. No cardboard cut-outs here. Nor are they doomed to teenage displays of temper/angst, a la the recent rash of evil!Dumbledore's with only preteen-level maturity.

Time wise, the story's only about a week into it, so the more long-term direction is really open.

Overall:
    I'd definitely recommend it, but not when you're in the mood to see Harry just whirling into action in a kick-ass, take-names style. The grammar and spelling is impeccable, the writing occasionally witty. If you're up for a slightly slower, subtly humorous story, you might give it a try.

5. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Another old fic coming back from the woodwroks. It was updated today.

6. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I haven't read it since waaaaay before the chapter before this one came out. This is one of the oldest fics, and while I'm inspired by the author's dedication to writing after all these years, I am not inspired enough to actually bother to read the entire story again.

7. prion

prion Second Year

I actually enjoyed reading this fic. Harry stands on his own here (not kick-ass, but competent) and leaves room for him to learn, especially around experts like the Founders. The villain is powerful, but I look forward to how the story will resolve that.

8. bombdiggity92

bombdiggity92 Temporarily Banhammered

I personally didn't like this when I read it a few years ago and I doubt I'll like it now. And prion you might have to wait just a little bit longer for the conflict to be resolved. Maybe if you write him a fantastic review he'll update.