1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Indents on FF.net

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by LogrusMage, Apr 15, 2008.

1. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

How the hell do I make and keep indents in my story @ FF.net?

I put them in manually in the edit doc screen, saved, and they disappeared. It's driving me nuts.

It's an odt document, which I thought was what FF.net's system was built for -_-.

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I don't know that it's possible, I never got it to keep them - regardless of format.

3. LogrusMage

Damn. Thanks anyway. I'll just upload the other chaps then.

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I think it's possible. I remember seeing all sorts of crazy formating in Ruskbyte's From the Abyss.

But I've no clue how to do them myself. Typing spaces instead of tabs - never any results.

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I'm pretty sure they're not possible anymore.

Only much older chapters from when the document manager system was different allow them (i.e. posted in like 2002 and not replaced/edited since then). Like back from the days when URL links were even active but I think they cleaned those up.

One 'change' that pissed me off is somehow sometime someway, a whole bunch of my horizontal rules got toasted from posts.

I always formatted things with a disclaimer, (optional) author's note, horizontal rule, CHAPTER/FIC TITLE IN ALL CAPS, and then the body of the chapter. Now suddenly a whole bunch of them are missing that first horizontal rule. Pissed me off, but the horizontal rules are still in the body separating scene breaks. I think.

6. LogrusMage

Er... One more question (and I do appreciate your help), do I have to reupload a document, kill the chapter, make a new chapter and move it back into position every time I want to make an edit on a previously posted chapter?

Because that would lead me to see why so few authors ever correct mistakes, even when they're pointed out...

7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

It's not that bad, lol. You only need to upload a chapter once. Still have to edit, save the changes, and then replace the version already posted.

8. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Quickie steps are:
    Login to ff.net.
    Click on "Stories".
    Click on the story with the typo.
    Click on Content/Chapters.
    Locate the chapter with a typo and click "exp" to export it to the document manager.
    Edit the chapter in the document manager and save changes.
    Go back and click on Stories, then Content/Chapters again.
    Below the box to "Add Chapter" is a box for "Replace Chapter". Use it.

Replacing a chapter, just takes the place of the old one. Your reviews aren't touched. No alerts go out. Word count might change if you did more than fix a typo, but it takes less than a minute to stumble across a typo, export it, edit it, and replace it. Piece of cake.

People that don't correct errors after they're pointed out are just lazy.

(And on a side note, after bitching about the disappearing horizontal rules, it appears they're back... guess it was just a ff.net parsing thing I hadn't realized had been fixed. My bad.)

9. LogrusMage

Ah, thanks Nonjon.