1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete HP and the Joining of Destinies by Kalistar - WOT - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Shezza, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Title: Harry Potter and the Joining of Destinies
    Author: Kalister
    Rating: T
    Crossover: Wheel of Time- Robert Jordan
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Drama
    Pairing: None so far
    Chapters: 16
    Words: 124,168
    Updated: February 3, 2008
    Published: January 1, 2006

Summary: AU Crossover: After the end of GoF, Harry is transported to another time. Thinking he can never return home, Harry gains a family and learns new skills that will prepare him for his eventual fight with Voldemort. Will feature Independent!Harry, Powerful!Harry, Manipulative!Dumbledore.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2731428/1/

Hey,
    This is one of the few Wheel of Time/Harry Potter crossovers that I have ever seen. It's also the second decent one I have evr read, and by far the longest.
    I found that for myself, it helped that I knew about Wheel of Time and was a big fan of it, but it really isn't necesarry to have read the books. The writer explains any WOT concept that comes up, and by Chapter seven Harry is back in the Wizarding World.
    For those who do know that WOT universe, It starts off with Harry accidentally activating a Portal Stone after his 4th year and ending up in the Age of Legends, with Lews Therin Telamon. He burns out his ability to use a wand and is taught to channel Saidin.
    He gets trained by Merien, who eventually becomes Lanfear, in the
    Dream World, and participates in boring the hole in the Dark Ones prison.
    His best freind becomes the 14th Forsaken and he wields Callandor...
    Well, I'll leave the rest to those who want to read it. But that's just the basics of it...
    I'm following this one until it ends or the writer quits...........
    Shezza88[/i]

Checked by Minion, Nov. 26, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Looks interesting though I havent read WOT. You said its pretty easy to work out so I'll give it a whirl. Nothing better to read anyway.

3. Shezza

I really liked it...but that was because I'm a big Wheel of Time fan, I probably like the Wheel of Time better than the Harry Potter series.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Ah, this actually sounds like an interesting read. I'm a big WoT fan myself, so I might actually like this story.

5. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Sounds interesting. Will give it a try. Personally I think WOT is a great series, but Jordan makes it a little bit to long and complicated.

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I tried but I just couldnt read it... I didnt know what the fuck was going on. Its probably explained but today I havnt been able to read much without getting irritated. I think I need a break.

7. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

This has gone past the realm of Harry Potter...

Good fic, awesome plot,to be sure.

But really, it's more of a harry potter crossover into WoT than a WoT crossover into HP.

8. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

True. Just read it, and if you ask me; I think it one of the best crosovers I have read.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I don't know anything about WoT, but I read it and it was great. I'm still not sure how much of it is original and how much is plot from WoT with Harry inserted in it. Second part in HP world, however, is well written Independant!Harry story. Great read in any case.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

I really liked this story. Most of the aspects of the WoT world were completely from the authors imagination, as the events happened thousands of years before the events in the books. The author basically gave the backround to the Bore and how the Forsaken came to be, all their various histories making their decision.

One complaint that I have of this story was that it felt rushed. The author never delved into any of the personalities of Harry's friends, just put them there. There were some grammatical errors, such as not putting a comma before someone speaks, but I can easily look over those. Another is the whole "guns v. magic" thing, Kalistar basically used the theory that wizards are too predjudiced. Meh, I don't agree with that, seems too easy of an explanation, but to each his own.

I also didn't get why magic wouldn't work in the future. It's not as if it can just vanish. If someone is a wizard, their magic won't disappear if they travel to the future.

Overall, a very good story. It will be interesting to see what will happen when Harry meets up with the Rand, ie the Dragon Reborn. An interesting thought, Lews Therin didn't become insane, so what will happen when Rand starts hearing him in his head?

11. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Put simply would I have any idea what is going on it this story (at least the first half) knowing absolutely nothing about WOT. If so is it 'you can read it but you will lack some of the stories greatness because you don't understand the other universe.'.

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

He explains it pretty well, I think. I also don't have idea about WoT, but it didn't bother me much.

13. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I don't know if I could get INTO wheel of Time. Harry Potter, I've reading since I was 11. (friend recommended it.)

I'm already hooked into Harry and it has nostalgic value.

I'll try this though.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

You'll be fine so far. As I said in my earlier post, most of this is just set in the WoT universe, not the actual books. He does have some phrases that he doesn't explain that well, like Harry's Dreaming and he briefly mentions skimming. Traveling is described in greater detail later in the fic though.

I'll try to explain about Tel'aran'rhiod here: Basically, a Dreamer is someone that can enter Tel'aran'rhiod (Dream World) without the help of external objects. They enter the world as it is, cities and everything, but there is nothing else living that you can see. The only things in it are objects, such as paper and buildings. A Dreamer once in Tel'aran'rhiod can do anything he wants, since he is in effect dreaming. He or she can travel anywhere in the world they want, with just a thought. And sometimes Dreamers can have dreams about things that will happen. A Dreamer can also go to other peoples dreams and cause them to have nightmarees, or change the dream entirely.

15. Tobang

Tobang Fourth Year

Probably one of the best crossover iv ever read especially recently. (Of course recently iv been reading stained futures crossovers….)

Shazza, you mentioned another HP/WoT crossover, what’s the name?

16. Shezza

Hey,
    It's been a while since I've been on here.
    In regards to Tosbang's question, the other HP/WOT crossover can be found at this URL.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1380632/1/

It's very good, in my opinion anyway. Just a one-shot, but it deals Harry trying to find a counter to the AK and actually discovering Saidin and Saidar
    Its more of a prequel to the Second Age, and implies that Lews Therin Telamon is actually Harry Potter Reborn

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

This actually sounds good. I'll read it.

18. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Save a copy of this story on your HD, because it's deffinitely on it's way to getting deleted by FFN radical jews and left-wings (why always nazis? :))...

Heh, this must be the first time I've seen the real muggle prime minister being used in a story, instead of a made up character. Probably because using real-life people is a big no-no in FFN rulebook... even though this Tony here is one tough motherfucker. :)

Anyway, I don't think I like this story much anymore, now that Dumbledore is dead and muggles are getting involved. I think he's overdoing that whole "wizards are weak idiots" routine - in this story everyone and everything is supperior to poor foolish wizards, who'd somehow got it in their heads that they own the world... I can take this shit in small dozes, but in this story, it's trully getting out of hand.

Heh, on the other hand, if you liked that "snipe the Voldemort" idea from one of old-crow's stories, you just might like this one too.

19. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Bah, I agree with IP. This story was good until the last chapter with the Prime Minister. I mean, the muggle officers killed Aurors and Order members, but he doesn't care about that. The wizarding government tried to protect the muggles, and by doing so got shot and killed. I wouldn't be surprised if Voldemort's numbers suddenly increase. He's treating the wizarding world like shit, and both Amelia Bones and Rosaline Zabini are taking it like little bitches. Both blushing at various times because of what he said. And then the whole muggle world comment. What the hell are they supposed to call it? It's just a term for non magical people, just like Aes Sedai is for One Power users, just like Wizard is for magic users. It's not a deragatory term, but he's treating it like it is.

And bringing the wizarding world under Muggle jurisdiction? What - the - hell. They can't control the wizards, compared to them they're nothing. Wow, they have guns. Wizards have wands that can blow them to little pieces in the same amount of time. Does anyone really think that the wizards would take kindly to muggles taking over their world? What about the rest of the world? What about the American wizarding world? So many plot holes, this story has gone to the shitter.

Right now, I wouldn't care if the story got booted off ff.net.

20. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

This last chapter, 12, is so bad that I found myself wishing that Voldemort would kill all the muggles and muggle-borns. Gah.