1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Memory King, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Title: Awaken Sleeper
    Author: Water Mage
    Rating: T
    Genre: Supernatural/Adventure
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: None yet
    Chapters: 25
    Words: 178,854
    Updated: January 21, 2013
    Published: April 7, 2008

Summary: For years Harrison Potter has been in a mental institution living dreams of magic, wizards, and dark lords. Eventually the dreamer has to awaken. His reality has to be accepted as fantasy. Although some things stay the same... Dresden Files xover.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4183715/1/Awaken_Sleeper

Just noticed that this isn't in the Library yet, decided to rectify that now.

5/5

Checked by Minion, January 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  2. D.S.

D.S. First Year

The land of the homicidal ducks, New York.
    It is in the library technically. It's under Work by Author. I've been following the story, though. Personally, I think it's great.
    I agree, 5/5 thus far.

3. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I like it, but it is a bit early to tell. I'll wait on the plot before grading it.

4. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Not really my cup of tea, but interesting none-the-less. I'll give it a 4/5

5. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

4.5/5. It is a great story, nearly perfect, but I think the reintroduction of magic was a bit quick. Its probably just a personal thing.

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think from time to time the story comes on a little heavy, and Harry makes some thick comments during dialogue--questioning his four year old brother on his drug-use, for example--but the plot is interesting, and has potential, as most Dresden crossovers do. I don't think the reintroduction of magic was too quick--in fact, I think quite the opposite. The scene (which I wont spoil for anyone who hasn't read the story) reinforces Aiden's spookiness while giving Harry back his magic use in a believeable way. Although, I will concede that the origins of the wand are a bit sketchy.

Overall, this is a good, quick read with nearly infinite potential. I'm doubtful that the story can be as good as others of its like (Shezza and nuhuh come to mind) but it's definitely worth the time I put into it. I'd say 4/5 leaning towards a higher rating.

7. Novamute

Novamute Third Year

This story is definately worth reading. I count myself among those who think that the magic was introduced a little to quickly. Other than that though, I really like the way that this story is taking shape. I will be keeping an eye on this one 4/5.

8. Ancalion

Ancalion First Year

3/5 for me.

Good writing, but it got boring quickly. I read three chapters and couldn't bother going on.

9. The Paper Blade

The Paper Blade First Year

Any mental institution fics that I'd seen before this belong in the "Fanfiction's Worst Summaries" thread, but I thought I'd give this a try. Dare I say it, this is quite original.

Not fond of the OC, though. I'll wait until the plot dives further into the Dresdenverse before I grade it.

10. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Very good so far. I like Water Mage's style.

I can't wait until Harry meets Dresden (or someone else in DF) and gets more immersed and entangled in the world of DF.

4.5/5

11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Been following this from the start, and it's definitely a good read. Well-written and well characterised. The fairy-hair wand was a bit hogey, but not too bad.

4/5

12. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I really like this story, I have been following this from it's start, and I have been impressed. It has a great original character in Aiden, and it has a lot of potential if I go by Water Mage's sig.

[SIZE=+0]I give it a 4/5, taking a point off for the fairy hair wand, and Harry's somewhat lack of intelligence, in a few cases. [/SIZE]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  13. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I really have no idea why the wand thing is a sticking point for so many people.

Beyond being a thrown together alternative, I don't see that as a blunder of writing. I think the idea was that it is something to approximate what Ollivander could have made but not quite it.

Unless I read it wrong, in which case, I agree with the criticisms.

14. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Your spot on actually. The faerie wand is only a makeshift wand made in a moment of desperation. Basically if Ollivander went all MacGuyver. Compared to some "wands" in canon i.e. the elder wand and Hagrid's umbrella I figured it was plausible.

15. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Here is some food for thought about wands from DH:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  16. pontfirebird73

pontfirebird73 Third Year

Is this posted somewhere else besides Fff dot net? there are only 5 chapters and watermages sig says chapter 26 is coming soon.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think in this case "Coming Soon" actually means "Coming Eventually".

18. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I'm going to be blunt.

It's boring, to me anyway. I just can't get interested in the chapters produced. However, I am interested in the potential of the story. I guess the reason why I feel it's boring is because nothing has happened apart from a whole lot of talking and family bonding, among other normal, mundane things.

It just feels too normal, I guess, even though I understand it's needed at the start. Can't just go in, guns cocked and ready to fire straight away.

Build up is needed. Back-story. Character development.

You're doing it.

But yeah. I just found it boring. I see it going some pretty interesting places, though.

Creepy little-brother was amusing enough. Didn't like Lily and James that much, but I hardly ever do. I like it when they stay off-screen.

Didn't have any issues with the wand, but I did have issues with some of the dialogue. Especially when Harry said that Lord of the Rings-esque line to that Faery.

"He is my kin, my charge. Blah, blah..."

I hope it picks up soon. I guess I'm impatient.

19. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    5/5. This seems to have a very good development so far. I'm looking forward to more.

20. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Hmmm... Seems good, but it will take someone from the Dresden verse actually showing up and having a significant impact on Harry's life for me to shake this odd feeling that its just like another AU fic...

However the idea overall is extremely promising, I've seen something similar in an excellent BTVS/SG1 crossover called "Far Beyond Normal,"
    which had a similar theme of the protagonist waking up in the body of a double from another universe who had had a breakdown.

Looking forward to Harry meeting some Dresden characters and showing his general badassness (which he should have a lot of, being an Auror) off to them.