1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Demon’s Feign, Merlin’s Pain by Nuhuh - M - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Nuhuh, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Title: Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain
    Author: nuhuh
    Rating: M
    Genre: Supernatural/Action-Adventure
    DLP-Genre: Alternate
    Pairing: None so far
    Chapters: 19
    Words: 166,190
    Updated: January 6, 2010
    Published: March 31, 2007

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3468902/1/
    Link: https://www.patronuscharm.net/s/24/1/

Summary: HP/DresdenFiles. Unknown to Potter there is a trail of blood to reach him in a world far from his own. And a wizard there, Dresden, who is trying to stop the green eyed demon with the lightning scar from entering his world, though he doesn't know that he is

Checked by Minion, January 5, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Wow! Not bad, not bad at all. I haven't seen the tv series yet, but you have a good grasp of the Dresden universe.

Your characterization of Murphy is a little shaky; I don't know how far through the series you've read, but you're just a bit off on some off her lines. I recommend reading through the books to get a hand on that.

Neat fic, I'm interested in seeing where you go with this.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  3. HomicidalPsychoJungleCat

HomicidalPsychoJungleCat Fifth Year

I've only started to read the Dresden Files, but I think that this is pretty good characterization. (Although there may have been some character evolution I have yet to get to in the books)

Nice start, and I'd like to see where you take this.

4. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Although I love the story so far, and I love both Harry Potter and especially the Dresden Files, I must honestly say that at the moment, I hate you.

It was only today...no less than five hours ago, when I decided that I too was going to do a Harry Potter/ Dresden Files crossover, and when I logged on, you beat me to it! I wanted to be first!

Seriously, excellent work. You seem to be getting Dresden's character down pretty well- just work with the wiseass angle and it'll all be good. I definately look foward to reading more of this.

5. Amadan

Amadan Second Year

Well I dont know much about the dresden files but this looks to be pretty good, I'll be looking for updates.

6. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

It was inevitable... I haven't actually read the books but I recently got hooked on the show. a wizard named harry... its just asking for a potter nut to make a crossover.

from what little I know of the series... that was very in character.

For a while there I thought Dresden was harry, but you created a nice twist there.

is this a harry is evil fic or was the ritual botched and picked the wrong parseltongue...

anyway I look forward to your next post.

Quazi

7. Nuhuh

Swimdraconian~ Glad you liked it. I have read the full series, but I started once I had seen a few of episodes of the series, so my Murphy characterization might be colored by that a bit. Can you tell me which lines in particular?

HPJC~ There is little character 'evolution' in the series so far, but that would be the first source of canon as far as how far everyone has been developed. To that, this fic begins after Storm Front - the episode not the book.

Maltese Falcon (Shezza)~ lol, yeah I've had that happen to me before. My hard drive has a several fics abandoned because of that. But, there aren't enough HP/Dresden Files fics so I'm glad to see you are writing one too.

I will work on Dresden's wiseass(ness), it's difficult if you're not in that mood yourself when writing. Plus I noticed in the books he sobers up during fights, and half of the first chapter was an extended magical fight.

Amadan~ Aha! I caught someone's attention who doesn't know Dresden Files. Now that's a win for me. Hope you stay with it, next chapter should move to familiar ground for you, thanks for reading.

QuaziJoe~ Indeed it was inevitable, happy to hear you found it in character. Harry Potter's characterization will hopefully be a little complex and so outright I won't say if he will be evil, good etc. So you picked up on the 'fallen tongue' thing, just remember it has one more meaning in the Dresden Verse. You will see it soon enough.

Thanks for all the reviews. Characterization is important to me so keep me honest if I fuck it up. Other than that any opinions on the magic you've seen so far or how the multi duel played out, in other words, how kickass is Morgan?

8. That Wench

That Wench Skittles Addict

Nuhuh! This is great too! Dammit why did I have to read both yours and Shezza's?! Can't decide who's I like better...well... nope nevermind.
    Great writing Nuhuh. I've never watched the series, but...I didn't find this too confusing. So... I guess you did a good job :p

Anna

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  9. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Awesome. I have been following the TV series from the start and just got the new episode on the computer. Anyway I haven't read the books, so I think you portrayed Murphy very well. Fits with what we know from the TV series.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Great start. I've never read any of the Dresden books, but I really enjoy the tv show. Looking forward to where you're going with this. I think it'll be far more interesting if it's not an evil Harry Potter but a sort of misunderstood one (a kindred spirit to Dresden perhaps).

I thought your characterizations all felt pretty right on. Though Bob seemed a bit less... dignified than usual.

One comment though: "Blood had trailed from his eyes, ears, nose, mouth and the only other orifice left." <=- I'm pretty sure I know which one you're talking about but even with guys I'd count that as two left. Some could argue for bellybuttons and given a mother's ability to feed a baby, yet another.

I know it's a pointless quibble but when you make me count orifices, it may be relevant if certain ones got sewn shut.

More please.

11. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

Very good man. Like several others I have never read the books but I do watch the show so it seems to be very good. Your characterizations seem to be spot on and I think so far you are writing a great Dresden. I will be interesting to see where you take this from here. Can't wait for your next installment and good luck as well.

12. OdinMage

OdinMage Fourth Year

Hey...
    I've been hooked on the Dresden Files books for several years now.... didn't even know the show had started yet, last I heard Jim (Butcher; the author) was still in talks about that..... anyway, I haven't seen the show, but what I've seen so far, Harry Dresden is pretty in character.... I can't wait to see where you take this....

13. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Apperently Bob is horny in the books, I think they did a episode with horny bob. I think he asks to watch...

...Correct me anyone who read the books.​

Anyway, As I seem to do with almost all my posts... here are the links to the shows that have been aired already.

episodes 1-9

episode 10

Episode 10 seems the best by far and kinda fits what you have already written.

Use them for reference if you want, I don't know what timeline your working under so this may just be useless depending on how close the show is to the books. Or use them to help you get dialogue help... whateve.

eagerly awaiting your next update.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  14. OdinMage

OdinMage Fourth Year

Yes, bob is all about horny..... in fact, Harry often bribes him to get his help by buying cheezy romance novels for him.... and I THINK, on one or two occasions, let him out to go voyeur at a college dorm.....

As I said before, I haven't seen the show, but in the books bob is HORNY....

15. Nuhuh

Anna~ I won’t make you choose between us ;) Happy to see you weren’t confused by any of it, and that you liked it so much.

Zevrillion~ Thanks man, I think I will keep Murphy like she is in the TV series, I personally like her better that way.

Nonjon~ Don’t worry about not having read the books, TV series are the first source of canon for me, I will integrate the books as I go along. You’ve already seen some elements like the ‘soul gaze’ and ‘third eye.’ Glad to know your thoughts on Harry’s characterization, next chapter will reveal how I write him.

The orifice thing…I admit I was laughing through your comments on that, I never realized how much I was possibly throwing off a reader by being not very specific. I will watch out for that, so that I don’t attach too much meaning to something that isn’t supposed to have it.

Lord Squash~ Good to hear you like Dresden, it’s fun to write him. Next installment shouldn’t be too long from now I started writing yesterday, thanks for the good luck.

OdinMage~ Yeah the books are great, the show could use a bigger budget for effects but its still pretty good. They casted Dresden fairly well. If you haven’t watched the show you will have to make allowances in my fic for lack of continuity from the books. Thanks for reading.

Quazi~ Thanks for the links, just watched episode 10.

Bob – the dignified voyeur

Nonjon, and any others who thought this is off. In the TV series, he does tell Dresden to bring the wench home and let him watch, or something to this effect. In the books he is a completely unabashed lecherous spirit, who has been known to start orgies at college parties for his…entertainment.

As such, that aspect of him may show up here and there. But it seems that the TV series is building him to be a much stronger character, so I will use his sex obsession when it might be entertaining. I don’t recall exactly which episode he said that line, but I will get it for you nonjon.

Thanks for all the reviews, both here and on FF.net.

16. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

I'm loving this story so much, especially since Sky had to be such bitches and pull their channels from us Virgin Media customers.

Your characterization of Harry is spot on in my opinion, and I can't wait to see where Harry Potter fit's in.

I eagerly await more,

Litha

17. Shezza

Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain by nuhuh - HP/Dresden Files - M

Title: Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain
    Author: nuhuh
    Rating: M
    Genre: Supernatural/Action-Adventure
    DLP-Genre: Alternate
    Pairing: None so far
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3468902/1/

Summary: HP/DresdenFiles. Unknown to Potter there is a trail of blood to reach him in a world far from his own. And a wizard there, Dresden, who is trying to stop the green eyed demon with the lightning scar from entering his world, though he doesn't know that he is

Harry Potter.

Dresden Files.

Two wonderful verses mixed into one.

Need I say more?

5/5

18. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Great link; would recommend.

19. Shezza

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was just thinking last night whether a HP/Dresden Files crossover would work, but I tried to keep it to one universe :p. I'll read it and rate it later.

EDIT: Good chapter, I've added it to my alerts. So far I give it a 4/5, cause it occasionally switches between 1st/3rd person mid-paragraph. Looking forward to the Harry centric chapter.

Aekiel

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007