1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wizarding sayings

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jenkins, May 1, 2008.

1. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

So while writing a few oneshots and such, I began thinking about the sort of things a common Wizard (or witch for you freaking feminazis) would say. As in, in normal life we say things like:

-Oh fuck
    -Fuck oath
    -Jesus Christ!
    -Like oil and water
    -Not over until the fat lady sings
    -And others

I was wondering what sort of things you guys think the magical world would use. All I can recall from canon is 'Merlin's beard!' and the occasional 'Merlin, Harry!' from the Weasley mutt. Would they say things like:

-Not over until the banshee cries
    -He's as quick as a Nimbus (sexual performance)
    -Or whatever

It's getting annoying writing a fic and having to resort to 'Merlin' or muggle sayings. What do you guys think?

2. lord geryon

lord geryon Squib

If it's a muggleborn speaking, then they are likely to use muggle sayings... Or if one of their parents was a muggleborn, they'd be half and half on sayings. Only the purebloods would always use wizarding expressions.

3. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I remember a fic that had one character swear by Circe, and another swore by Morgana.

4. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

From Deathly Hallows:

5. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I like the "Fire's lit, but the cauldron's empty." The "cauldron on fire" doesn't work for me.

6. Methene

Methene Auror

Sayings are not 100% necessary. More often than not I find their inclusion seems to distract from the story. Merlin, as one of the most influential characters in Wizarding history would probably feature significantly.

I use Roman god names when appropriate (Purebloods), but that is due to a theory I will present later on. Maybe we can use this place to make up sayings. Somewhat like the DLP Spell list is, but dedicated to sayings.

Ideas?

7. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

I'm not saying they're necessary in a fic, I'm more just curious as to what the magical populace would say. Sleeping dragons and tickles, uglies and Amortentia, Wands and Chambers of secrets. Yagetmahdrift?

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I got your drift right here, sonny-jim

9. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I 'lol'd'.

Wizarding sayings are pretty basic in nature. From what I remember, most just involve a twist on our sayings with a magical item. Cauldron and Broomstick are perfect examples.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I believe Fudge uses "Galloping Gargoyles" at one point. Maybe in GOF, in Dumbledore's office?

11. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

Hold your hippogriffs

12. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

The word "Merlin" is usually subsitituted for "God" in way too many fanfics.

I'd have Pureblood and some Halfbloods say it, but Harry? He's going to swear like every good Muggle-born boy.

For example, what sounds better?

"By Merlin George, that lass has inserted a vegetable into her vagina!"

"Holy fucking shit, that bitch just shoved a cucumber into her snatch!"

See the difference?:splatter:

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mrs Figg said something like "no use crying over spilt potion" and "the cat's among the pixies now" in OoTP, when she found Harry after the Dementor attack.

Aekiel

14. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

That reminds me of something; many characters in HP canon use the pseudo-swear "blimey!" which according to wikipedia means "may God blind me"... (Mundugus Fletcher on many occasions, Ron too, etc).

Did JKR use this word without knowing the meaning behind?

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Probably, blimey is (or was) a rather common word in England, so I doubt she put any thought into it.

Aekiel

16. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

I don't know about you guy's, but the whole "Don't cry over spilt potion." thing just makes me cringe. If you are only going to substitute only one word, don't bother.

Another thing, those little says like, "It's raining cats and dogs," or anything pertaining to that like, "It's raining Crups and Kneazles," wouldn't make sense coming from a wizard. That saying came about because back before people could afford other materials they used to thatch their roofs, and animals would crawl down from their napping places in the straw when the rain got too bad. This obviously wouldn't be a problem for wizards, as they could just cast a water repel charm, so they wouldn't say anything close to the muggle equivalent unless they were blatantly copying them. So just put a little thought into it and you should be fine.

17. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Merlin's Baggy Y-Fronts.

18. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Merlin's hairy balls.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not so sure about the whole "Muggleborns wouldn't use wizarding sayings because they grew up in the Muggle world environment" argument. They go to Hogwarts at 11, and from that age onwards are fully immersed in the wizarding world.

I don't know about you, but I picked up plenty of sayings and curses after the age of 11. Sure, they might still use a few Muggle curses from before they were 11, but they'll use wizarding ones too, I think.

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Morgana and Circe's names seem to end up as exclamations in a lot of fan works. I've personally used "Merlin, Morgana, and Circe!" a few times in stuff I've written. Think of it as a wizard-ized version of "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!"

When I write Muggleborn/raised characters, I don't have them completely drop muggle phrases in favor of Wizarding ones, though that's not to say they don't use the magic ones. By the same token, there's no reason a wizard can't simply say "Oh my God!"

The argument that every single magically-raised witch and wizard is atheist is silly, and the idea that atheists never say things like "God Dammit!", "Oh my God!", or "I'll see you in Hell.", is even sillier (believers in such silliness, please reboot your brains).

"Sweet Baby Maeve", oft used in Sword of Gryffindor amuses me, mostly due to context, since it seems to be Hermione's own personal oath.

Some Canon Examples:

Merlin's Saggy Left [Nut]!
    How in the name of Merlin's pants...
    What in the name of Merlin's most baggy Y-fronts....

Hehe.