1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Wise One Trilogy by UnexpectedInspiration - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Skeletaure, May 7, 2008.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The Wise One: Book One: Becoming
    Author: UnexpectedInspiration
    Rating: T
    Length: 59k
    Genre: AU
    Chapters: 25
    Words: 99,300
    Updated: June 28, 2008
    Published: February 9, 2008

Summary:
    When Sirius Black escapes Azkaban and 8-year-old Harry Potter disappears, the world is thrown into upheaval. What will Britain and Harry be without each other, and who will face the Dark? You only THINK you've read this before. Please try it and review!
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4062601/1/The_Wise_One_Book_One_Becoming

A fairly good Harry raised by Sirius on the run AU. Realistic and well done characterisation, both in terms of Harry and Sirius' characters and relationships, and power progression. Not a canon re-do.

I checked the list and did a search; hopefully this isn't in the Library already.

4/5, would be 5/5 but for my desire to only award 5/5 to mind blowing fics.

Title: The Wise One: Book Two: Awakening
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 27
    Words: 148,535
    Updated: November 7, 2008
    Published: July 25, 2008

Summary: Harry & Sirius have returned to England to join the Order in combating Voldemort's rising influence. Harry, in the guise of an unimportant student, struggles for an identity. Can a teenager with a destiny have a normal life, with friends and loves?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4423362/1/The_Wise_One_Book_Two_Awakening

The Wise One: Book Three: Being
    Chapters: 28
    Words: 256,212
    Updated: September 3, 2009
    Published: December 12, 2008
    Summary: Harry and Dumbledore race to destroy Horcruxes, but does Dumbledore trust Harry? Hermione's help is invaluable, but how far will Harry allow her to go with him? And if Harry refuses to kill Voldemort, how is a teenager going to stop the Dark Lord?
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4711743/1/The-Wise-One-Book-Three-Being

Checked by Minion, January 9, 2013
    Added the third installment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

One of the best Harry-Sirius bonding fics for sure. The author manages to make characters truly likeable and touching, rather than forcefully cuteish and pathetic which is usually the case. Characterization in general is almost perfect, and the plot isn't too shabby either.

On the downside, Hogwarts parts weren't as interesting as the ones following Harry and Sirius' trek around the world, but they are far from bad; it's probably just my personal bias speaking.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

It definitely isn't a bad story, but I find myself wishing some action would appear...
    I give it a 4/5 at the moment, but I'll refrain from voting until it's gotten a bit longer.

4. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Ditto. It's a decent enough story, but it's missing a hook. the first dozen to fourteen chapters were well enough, but the last couple... My attention wandered far to much. Personally I think the author lost the plot somewhere. I doubt that it will end up being all that great in the end. A tentative 3.5/5. It's gone far to long with nothing happening to Harry.

5. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Lost interest in the 3rd or 4th chapter. It's okay I guess, but that's just my opinion. It'd be considered "average".

6. The Paper Blade

The Paper Blade First Year

I really enjoyed reading it. It's well written, and 'round the world tales are always (usually, occasionally) interesting to read.

I agree about the lack of action, though. What with the "Book One, Arc Two", the author seems to be settling in for the long haul, and seems to be under the impression that one can postpone action for an indefinite amount of time.

4/5 from me.

7. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

I just started reading this fic, I enjoyed it up to chapter seven. I honestly don't see the point of setting the background for Hermione/Ron/Ginny when Harry hasent even met them yet.

8. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

I guess the quality of the writing is good enough, but I found myself scrolling down to get to the parts with harry too often. It was boring towards the end... 3/5

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The point with the bits going on at Hogwarts is that the Philosopher's stone still needs to be saved, the basilisk still needs to be killed...yet Harry isn't there to do it. So an alternative has to be thought up - in this case, the twins and Neville are taking his place.

10. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

I read the entire thing a while ago. It is pretty good but the Neville amount scene's are increasing. 3/5 for me.

11. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I found this one a bit boring and uninspired. 3/5

12. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I read through it in its entirety, and it was a reasonably worthwhile endeavor.

The pace is very slow; there is next to no action, excluding only the (so far) unrelated issues at Hogwarts. The character development, however, is rather nice - this Sirius is one of the better ones I've encountered - but the longer it goes on, the less... inspired, I suppose, it feels. I can only take so much repetitive training; I can only take so many nifty little insights - however well written - into the characters without wanting some sort of conflict.

This one still has a great deal of potential, and I will keep following it for now, but if something substantial doesn't happen in the next few chapters, its going to go downhill fast. As it stands right now I would give it somewhere around 3.5/5 since, for me at least, the downward spiral has already started. I'll give it a few more chapters before I actually rate it though.

13. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I thought it was fine as far as it has gone till date...the author seems determined not to bring Harry to Hogwarts without having him become strong...and that is taking him time to write...the p.o.v changes put me off a bit though...
    4/5 for the potential...I'll stay my vote for a bit longer...

14. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

It has been updated.

15. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Just read it today since I got the c2 alert. It's ok. The Harry and Sirius interaction is well done, but the character PoV changes tend to suck and I tend to skip chapters as a result. Other than that its decent, but nothing amazing.
    2/5

16. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like the story, the character interaction and development is very well done. The progression of Harry's skills is realistic and it holds great promise.

4/5.

17. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Really? I thought it was very original. The pacing is snail-slow, for sure, but the characterization makes it worth it. Christ, the author made hookers tasteful. Hookers, man!

18. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I've got to agree with JustBlaise entirely about this. The pacing is slow, but so far it hasn't taken away from the fun of reading it. The characterization is damned good...and Hookers! Tastefully done Hookers! Lol, although that isn't a selling point for me, it was pretty fun.

And like Taure said...Harry isn't at Hogwarts. Obviously things will have to happen without him. It makes sense to show us things as they happen instead of making us sit through some long fucking recitation of them later. While they aren't as interesting as the world travels, I don't mind that at all.

The Sirius-Harry interaction is good too. It doesn't feel forced or like someone coated it with their favorite brand of artificial sweetener.

Overall, I'd give it a 4/5 so far. Pretty fun to read.

19. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

I quite like this, whilst it's not full of action the characterisations are superb and I'm really enjoying it. As mentioned, the pacing is really slow but that doesn't bother me since I've been enjoying reading it.

Also, the novel variation on dealing with Quirrel and the attitude the author is building with Harry gives me high hopes for future chapters.

20. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I suppose I have been spoiled by the quality of writing I get from some DLP authors. I might've been less critical but to be fair it's just not as good as I have come to expect things to be in the work-by-author or library. I read it straight through anyway, since I was looking for something simple to read while taking breaks.

The entire feel of the fic is of a sketch. It doesn't flow. I understand that it is a snap-shot structured fic but the individual snap shots should be solid pieces too. After going through so many countries and places you're not left with any sense of difference between one place or the next - it is all the same.

Dumbledore's characterization is weak and juvenile. Ridiculous even.

And please 13 year old Weasley twins lecturing Dumbledore.Christ.

On the upside, Neville is done well, as are the twins for the most part. Harry is okay, your basic cookie cutter independent characterization, so meh. Sirius is beginning to sound interesting, hopefully that will get better.

Generally a decent outcome of both first and second year of what would happen if Harry wasn't there.

Overall it is average. The writer had a couple of decent ideas, Neville's personality, using twins, but their execution is sort of incomplete and sketch-like. Its like reading a list of things that are happening, there is no depth or involvement.

Not for the library imo. Not really for the trash bin either. It is in the best sense: Average.

3/5

p.s. weirdly, I kinda liked Ginny. lol at her rampant fangirlism.