1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete "Death Gate-Trilogy" by KevinVoigt - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Sesc, May 7, 2008.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Title: “Death Gate Trilogy” – The Ring of Gold/The Amulet of Stone/The Jewel of Darkness
    Author: KevinVoigt
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Mystery/Suspense
    DLP Category: Alternates
    Pairing: Harry/Ginny
    Published: September 5, 2005
    Updated: October 31, 2008
    Length: 288,131/ 324,931/310,484
    Summary (First Part): Instead of peace and harmony, Voldemort's fall has created a world of uncertainty and chaos. The Death Eaters are dwindling, waging a hopeless battle without the Dark Lord to lead them. A new conflict is coming, and Ginny finds herself caught

Ring of Gold
    Amulet of Stone
    Jewel of Darkness

Well, I thought long and hard about posting this. I’m enjoying it immensely, but for one, I have a wide range of tastes, and then you see the pairing. I’m able to enjoy it if it isn’t written by Fangirl #25,872, and this definitely isn’t, but still, you know …

What’s more, the first part of the Trilogy is mostly written from Ginny’s POV (later it’s mostly from Harry’s), and she plays a central role in the story, for the plot, she’s just as much main character as Harry. Harry is quite a bit more powerful than her, though, if anyone cares. I just figured I’d say all that now, so that no one is complaining later ;)

However, if you can at least tolerate that, you get what in my opinion is a first-class Mystery-Thriller, Romance is only in the background. It has three parts, but I’d rather divide it into two: the first part, and both of its sequels.

Some more information:

The story is set Post-Hogwarts, and Post-Final-Battle, more specifically, Ginny has just finished her seventh year and is looking for a job at the ministry.

The whole thing starts with the strange and sudden death of Charlie Weasley (who was supposed to be in Romania) at the Ministry; recorded by the magical equivalent of a security camera. There are lots of people there that shouldn’t be, and Ginny wants to find out what was really going on, using her new job in the Department of International Magical Cooperation as a cover to look around and ask some questions.

Then, there is another matter – Harry is missing since the final battle, presumed dead, but Ginny doesn’t really believe it, even though everyone around her is telling her she's only imagining things.

From there on out, after a slow build-up (I'd say, the first four chapters), there is one odd situation after the other, in many interesting places (England, Egypt, Romania), everyone around her seems to know more than she does, and the more questions she asks, the more unwilling to speak the people get.

The whole affair becomes bigger and bigger; somehow the Department of Mysteries (where Hermione is working) is in in the thing, and there’s a connection to Romania, and finally, even the (not quite) dead Harry is entangled in it. There’s a conspiracy of gigantic proportions, a secret Brotherhood, and everyone is chasing a new Dark Lord no one has seen as of yet; and it gets dangerous when she digs deeper and people that agreed to help her turn up dead.

There are planes and schemes and manipulations (in fact, it is one grand set-up from the very beginning, which is masterfully done from the author’s side), but since you only see the effects, not the plans itself, you are left clueless until well into the story. Also, you never know who is friend or foe, and the least problems are poly-juiced persons. Everything is constantly changing, nothing is as it seems.

Only near the end of the first part everything that has happened so far becomes clear, and it is then that the Death Gates are really introduced, like the one in the British ministry (the arch with the veil from OOTP); there are a few more all across Europe and Northern Africa, and they are the basis for both of the sequels. There’s a presence behind them that is some sort of evil, an ancient force that may or may not be escaping. People are dying in the most peculiar ways, and somehow Ginny and Harry are the key to it.
    Eh, and sorry for the Spoiler, Sinner. Didn't think of it, although I'd say there is much more to it than what I wrote.

I read it all in one go (which even with the barest amount of sleep took some days, it’s at nearly 800,000 words atm) and it kept me constantly on the edge of my seat. The amount of suspense is extremely high. The sequels are darker than the first part, there are some Horror elements in there – the later parts in Romania feel a bit like Resident Evil, where the city is abandoned and only inhabited by all sorts of nasty creatures, once having been humans, and then there are dream sequences, that reminded me of F.E.A.R., if anyone here played that and still knows it.

You know, that kind, where you come up a corridor were the light is flickering, and you turn around, only to find there is the little girl, staring at you with wide eyes and then walking away silently, leaving behind bloody footprints?

Or if you want a movie, The Ring etc. That is the kind of feeling you get while reading the second part of the trilogy. The third part in turn is more action-based.

So if anything of my rather large summary (that probably still didn’t do it justice, if for no other reason that I forgot some things since I read it) appeals to you, consider giving it a go. For myself, I’d really rate it at 5/5 – the writing is excellent, I don’t mind the H/G stuff, and I'm a fan of the Mystery/Suspense-Genre – and this Trilogy is so far one of the best in that Genre I’ve come across. Obviously, if either isn't all that much your thing, the rating would be lower.

If it doesn’t appeal to you – uh, well, that was the reason I wrote this much? So that you’d know it before you started reading … but I really think there are some people here who’ll like it. I could see it above 4/5 in general, but then, I'm biased.

… watch out for the Green Eyes. And don’t forget the ancient chanting from the Gates: Across the endless wastes and timeless sands/I seek the primal source and final end …

Checked by Minion, Nov. 23, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  2. Renzhoulawyers

Renzhoulawyers Sent Back to India

I'll give it a go JUST because u wrote that shit-long summary

3. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I'll also give it a read...for the same reason. I'll edit back in with my first impressions soon.

Edit: Ok, so I've decided there's a reason for a long fucking summary. Because its a long fucking story. Ring of Gold, as pointed out, is a vague, long set-up...but isn't all that mysterious. That doesn't bring down the reading value too much, really, and there is one OC that I really liked. Lord Albert. Or I really liked him before some other shit is pointed out after a trip to Romania. He reminded me of a much more refined version of Winston from The Mummy until his character got destroyed by an ambitious author.

As pointed out, much of the story is told from Ginny's perspective, and surprisingly, that's the better half. Yeah, I want to cut my fingers off for typing that, but its true. The story is well-written, for the most part...but there is way too much of it. I found myself skipping large chunks of chapters in the latter half of the book just because of the mind-numbing length of them. That probably wasn't helped by the fact that I read straight through, a process that took all night.

This isn't a masterpiece of HP fanfiction, but its a good way to spend a few hours reading. Fairly well done characterizations with a coherent plot...even if it isn't meant to be coherent all the time. The biggest problem I have goes back to the length of the chapters. In some stories, this is a good thing. But with this story, the new information ceases to have any impact after a certain point.

3.5/5 for Ring of Gold, with a possible score for the sequels soon.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  4. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Same sentiment.

Will check it out, since you put so much effort into it.

Though I admit I don't like much being teased. I almost killed Tinn over that a couple of times. So a mystery that is only dragged on till necessary is fine, anything over that and I nerd-rage.

Will edit with review.

5. TwilightAmbition

TwilightAmbition First Year

To tell the truth this is my favorite series of HP fanfics. In fact it's one of my favorite works of literature, I just really like it. :p

Thanks for having the balls to post this here.

6. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    I remember reading the first story a while back, and I very much enjoyed what I read. The only reason I stopped reading it, I think, was because of another story that I was reading that took priority.

But overall, it was a very good story with a good writting style and a mystery that had me reading for many hours trying to figure out what was really going on. Though, having not read it all, and for those who have not read it, you should have put parts of your summary under "spoiler" markers.

3.5/5 for what I can remember, will dive back into the story again from the beginning.

7. Anme

Anme Professor

I've read the first 3 chapters and I'm liking it.
    I'll rate later when I've read it all.

8. Perfection

Perfection Fourth Year

If an extremely long winded fanfiction is one of your favorite works of literature I implore you to read some more (actual) books.

For your own sake.

9. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

I'm at chapter 5 now and I like what I've read so far. Only thing bugging my is the absence of Harry. How long until hes back in the stor? I know you said I would be Ginny POV at the beginning but I seriously hope that hes going to make an appearance in the next two chapters.

10. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Chapter 15 and its damn interesting.

Writing style is pretty solid, and the plot lines are developing nicely. 4/5 right now.

11. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Auto-fail.

12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I could have sworn Mr. Ravenclaw turned the angry yellow eye on you with the stern "Judge not by the pairing" post in another thread.

You must have seen it even if he hadn't, so stop it.

I'm accepting of H/G, but having the beginning of the fic written from Ginny's point of view is pushing it.

Can someone post a summary (in spoilers of course) what happens in Ginny's chapters? So that we get don't miss important plot details but without doing any work ourselves.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  13. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm enjoying it. And Andromalius look at it this way, only 92 reviews for a Harry/Ginny story. Yeah, I figure the fan-girls are not intrested in it much because *gasp* there is no soul bond in it.

I think you would enjoy but whatever.

14. Anme

Anme Professor

I think it's not possible to skip the Ginny-chapters
    There happens too much.
    You should just start reading it and see what you think.
    I like the story. I've finished the first part en and have read a few chapters in the second but I am a bit less interested now. The fic is just a bit too long.
    I'd rate this 3,75/5

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  15. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

News to me, and there are far less critical things people nit-pick stories for than the pairing, which is actually pretty major because it pretty much dictates who the major players are.

16. Ikaros Mephisto

Ikaros Mephisto First Year

Clearly, the “from Ginny’s perspective” gave me pause. It took some slight soul-searching to get past that. The first chapter is quite well done, there’s a lot of unnecessary detail though that just comes off as the Author trying too hard at being mysterious.

The very first paragraph about being in the Ministry is rather heavy handed. She’s been there before, we know what it looks like, and she knows what it looks like. Having her simply recognize it as the Entrance Hall to the Ministry of Magic is fine. I don’t need the detail of what the fountain looks like to understand where we are. It’s a small thing but it still bugs me and it slows down the story. ​

Sadly, the heavy feel of the writing continues and though we get a great deal of detail it always has that little nudge of: “This is all really mysterious isn’t it? Go on, you’re confused and not getting what’s happening.” Unfortunately for the author the mystery is rather obvious from the start. The author tries to push the reader to thinking it’s actually a mystery and not really completely obvious. But it is. More so, I feel as though I’m fighting to stay awake.​

A few chapters in and Ginny is starting to bug me. The over simplification of her views draw more than a few frowns from me, but I can accept that she’s simple, if that’s what the author was going for. At least that’s the impression I get, maybe she grows a brain further down the line.

The problem is that I don’t care and I start to find myself having been gazing out the window instead of reading the fic or pondering to myself about whether or not I need to get a bigger pot for that plant in the window. It really had trouble holding my attention. ​

I give this 3/5. Mainly, because the writing is even, but I feel like I’m pushing myself through thick sludge just skimming it. It would have been far more interesting to read this story from Harry’s point of view from the start and seen how events unfolded from his perspective. ​

I wouldn’t recommend this; accept perhaps if you were going in for a long hospital stay. It would keep you calm and rested and it’s a damn sight better than reading the 15 year old magazines in the corner. You’ll be bored, but not bored out of your mind.

And I apologize if this review is somewhat long-winded. :rolleyes:

17. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Ugh. Got about a quarter of the way through the first chapter and my eyes started glazing over. Too much pointless detail. If you want to write really detailed fiction, great; Just make sure you choose the right things to go into detail with. This author didn't, and so I bid his story adieu and clicked the big red X.

18. Maro

Maro Third Year

Bit of a necro but I hear they're allowed for reviews, so onward to a review.

I stumbled upon this quite randomly, checked its DLP review and was kind of surprised a completed trilogy could have so few reviews. Started reading despite the pairing and perspective and have been pleasantly surprised.

I'm about 100k words into the first book, the mystery elements are handled well, its not cliched at all and even Ginny isn't done terribly... certainly not a Mary Sue. I'm giving this 4/5 until I finish reading the trilogy, purely because so far the writing is technically excellent, well plotted and it flows well but is extremely long-winded.

I should not have had to read 100k words to get to where I am now. Its not so much filler, just that everything that happens is described meticulously, but not in a way that I appreciate (Frank Herbert for instance). If it was more filler I could just skip the relevent parts, but in this there really isn't anything I can skip.

I'm posting this before I finish reading it primarily because I'll probably forget by the time I finish and I feel this deserves a bit of a bump and an extre review in this forum. I'm kind of staggered I haven't seen this before to be honest; its never been recommended to me and I've never seen it on any lists of fics you ought to read...if the quality stays as high as it has been so far it certainly should be on some 'must read' lists.

Edit: And I just realised this is in the recyling bin. It is almost certainly library-worthy unless something terrible happens later on in the writing. This is far superior to some of the things I've read in the library. Pairing and perspective are probably putting a lot of people off, which it really shouldn't.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  19. Maro

Maro Third Year

I just finished reading the first one; I'm changing my 4/5 to a 5/5. The only real flaw with this imo was the long-winded writing style, but by the end of the book there's almost no trace of it. The second half is fast paced, gripping, well thought out and frankly one of the best fanfics I've read.

And apparently me giving it a 5/5 moves its average > 3/5. Does this put it back into For Review for a couple weeks so more people can give it a try?

20. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

Fuck I'll give it a shot by the end of next weekend. I'm a little intrigued by this story posted quite a while ago with little interest.