1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Harry Potter and the Spell of Nietzsche by wargear - T - Oneshot (?)

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by bornagainpenguin, May 8, 2008.

1. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Title: Harry Potter and the Spell of Nietzsche
    Author: wargear
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    DLP Category: The Alternate's or maybe Dark Arts ?
    Pairing: NONE?
    Words: 5,153
    Published: July 17, 2007

Summary: Harry receives an unusual bequest, and discovers one of the most shocking secrets of the BoyWhoLived.

Link: here

I really don't want to comment too much here until a few others have read it, otherwise it'll give too much away and spoil the plot. I will say it reminds me of The-Caitiff's Project Chaos (another fic I'd like to see more of...)

More detailed thoughts below, but spoilered for a reason!

Harry is the Übermensch due to the trauma of his upbringing (that which does not kill me makes me stronger) and various strategies being employed by a manipulative Dumbledore with a clue...the setup is eerily feasible and explains away quite a bit, if you are able to ignore the fail of the last two books in the Harry Potter series.

--bornagainpenguin

PS: I find it really interesting the author claims to have been sitting on this idea for quite some time given its posting on the same day The-Caitiff posted Project Chaos as a stand alone fic.. Thankfully wargear takes the story in a different direction, so there are no worries about plagarism.

Checked by Minion, January 1, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

That has epic, epic potential if it continues in the same manner. It looks, unfortunately, rather abandoned though.

If it continued, I'd go 5/5. As a oneshot though, its somewhere around a 3.8/5. Still good, but not extraordinary.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

It's a good idea, but that's all. Like Anubis said, it has a lot of potential, but
    unless it's continued there's not really much point. I'll refrain from posting.

4. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Hmm. Not bad. Not quite the potential there for epic, in my opinion, but not bad. I like the idea of trauma speeding/enhancing the growth of a developing wizard's magic, but I can't see Harry's friends, Neville especially, agreeing with the use of the Cruciatus, regardless of the reasons presented.

I'll agree that this could have been a better full length fic, but as a one-shot I'll give it a 3/5.

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I was indifferent. I think using the goblins as mediators to yet another legacy was pretty gheey, but the idea of the original purpose behind the Cruciatus held my interest enough to want more.

What I don't like that the goal is to create an army, or that the "strength from trauma" idea will just automatically take if you're the right age. It seems too easy, and if the author does pick it up again, I hope the DA runs into more complications. Otherwise it'll be just another ho-hum superpowah Harry & Co.

6. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The IDEA is epic, but the execution in this story leaves something to be desired. Though it is a good read.

3/5

7. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

QFT

I hope more does appear, 'cause at present, a one-shot does not suffice. 3.5/5

8. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I like this idea. It could be a fun read.

Lately, I have taken to writers who make the execution of their plot a little more intricate and subtle, so since this was so the opposite of that it didn't grab me on a storytelling level.

4/5

Though I don't think anymore is coming, and if it is I expect the rating to go down because the way he is telling the story is too abrupt.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nazi!Harry ftw.

At first I didn't like the style of writing, but by mid-way through the fic it was flowing quite well. Dialogue was done quite well especially, if I remember correctly. Contained a bit too much tell on the tell:show ration, but as a one shot that's less important. It would be suited more to a longer fic format though. I lol'd at the "Nietzsche was a Nazi" thing though. Nietzsche hated anti-Semitism (almost as much as he hated women, it seems). The book "The Will to Power", which the Nazi's used heavily as a philosophical base, was in fact not written by Nietzsche, but by his anti-Semitic bitch of a sister, using his notes which she heavily edited.

Would have been 4/5 had it been the start of a longer fic, but as a standalone I give it a highly recommended 3/5.

10. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I wrote a pretty enthusiastic FB. If he continues this, it might well end up Dark Arts. AD as a variant of lawful evil in the service of Light - the ends justifying the means, "for the greater good." I wonder whether Dumbledore intends some sort of mind control/conditioning to make sure that none of the children deviate from the Headmaster's agenda?

11. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Interesting idea, but those are a dime a dozen. The mechanics aren't at all impressive, and it's too short to be worthy of note. Also, Nietzsche =/= Nazi and hated the bastards, so that's pretty much fail right there.

3/5, and barely that.

12. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

A decent read, but a little.....under-done. I seriously doubt that everyone would go along with it quite so easily, but other than that, acceptable. 3/5

13. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

The idea is great, the way it was introduced? Well, come on, a golden nazi statue in the middle of a bank??

If it was to be made into a full story, I'm all for it, but so far: 3/5

14. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Well, Nietzsche is German and evil, so of course he's a fucking Nazi. I dunno about the Grindelwald = Himmler thing, either.

Too soon to rate it. Decent idea. Adequate-ish execution. Time will tell.