1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Antiquity Link by semprini - PG-13

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Memory King, May 12, 2008.

1. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Title: Harry Potter and the Antiquity Link
    Author: semprini
    Rating: PG-13
    Genre: General, Character Sketch
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None really, as of yet at least.
    Chapters: 22
    Words: 314,595
    Published: March 30, 2008
    Updated: July 25, 2008

Summary: The morning after his defeat of Voldemort, Harry awakens feeling disturbed and uneasy, but not knowing why. Wanting nothing more than to stay at Grimmauld Place and be left alone, he finds himself unable to get what he needs. Angry goblins, unleashed dementors, well-meaning friends, and a debt to Narcissa Malfoy demand a reluctant Harry's time and attention. Resisting praise, expectations, and offers of employment, he is finally drawn into a trial that rivals the most difficult ones he has ever faced.
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/semprini/HPATAL.html

Solidly entertaining Post-DH tails are pretty hard to find these days, so I decided to share.

Harry doesn't quite behave in the manor we DLP members want. I could, however, ignore most of the 'flaws' with little difficulty. That is definitely saying something, considering my extremely low tolerance level for angst.

The main characters accepted the redeemed mini-villains perhaps a bit too quickly IMHO, it could be a hell of a lot worse I suppose.

This take on the Goblins was pretty refreshing, even if it was just a continuation of what canon started.

The mystery and the plots are intriguing, the author apparently knows what he's doing.

It seems to me that a little bit of Harry/Luna is in the planning stages. The story could still take a left turn, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Not epilogue-compliant, as you've probably guessed by now.

All in all, a pretty nice and engaging read. Not sure if it will be that memorable in a few years, though.

4/5

The author posted a sequel, also found on Schnoogle:

Title: Harry Potter and the Amulet of the Moon
    Rating: PG-13
    Genre: Adventure/General
    Chapters: 20
    Words: 226,600
    Published: August 28, 2009
    Updated: October 24, 2009
    Summary: Sequel to Harry Potter and the Antiquity Link. Following the recent disaster suffered by the Aurors, new Auror Leader Harry Potter recruits fifteen trusted members of Dumbledore's Army to become the backbone of the Aurors. To prepare quickly to defend an Auror-less society, they go to an uninhabited island and go back in time a year, planning to train uneventfully, isolated from the rest of the world, and the timeline. But they're pulled back into the whirl of wizarding events in a way they never would have expected.
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/semprini/HPATAOTM.html

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. excalibur421

excalibur421 First Year

Hmmm, not too bad so far.

All things considered, it's not too bad of a story. My main irritants were the situations with the Malfoys and Dudley, but they don't take away much.

The situation with the goblins is good though, makes for a nice change from the majority of stories out there.

From what I gathered, the update rate on this one has been decent too. Based on that and what I've read so far, I'd give it a 3.8/5

Edit: The lack of Harry/Ginny insofar is also a nice little plus.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  3. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

This isn't bad. Sure, in places it's somewhat simple and I feel that a few of the views the author writes into the story are a little naive, but the story is fairly well-written and realistic. And, if I really think about it, many things seem simple and it's easy to be naive about growing up...which is the real basis for this story so far: Our actions in difficult situations and the consequences for those actions, regardless of our intentions.

That said, possibly my favorite thing in this story so far would be the consequences of Hermione's modifications to her parents' memories. Well thought out and well shown, really. 3.5/5 total score at this point.

4. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

3.5/5 and what Parseltongue said. I'll add that I found it a little dry and after the first few chapters, the simplistic views really started grating on my nerves. Decent but not really all that memorable.

5. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I didn't like it. Couldn't hold my attention. Don't like his Canon personality.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This is about as good as a religiously in-canon post-DH fic can get. Sure, the plot is largely predictable and Harry's character is absolutely unrealistic in his extreme goodness and ignorance, but I still found this prose pretty easy to follow. A few interesting plot points added just about enough fresh material to keep my interest all the way through.

7. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Good interpretation of what canon could be like after Voldemort's death. 4 stars at the moment.

8. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Read it, and found it surprisingly good. As for the pairing, it actually looks like he's shading it towards H/Luna despite the fact she's gotten almost no screentime, but he could always go back to Ginny (sadly).

Gets a 4/5 from me.

9. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Just updated today. Some fairly interesting stuff happened in chapter 11, don't know how it will go down with members here though. Quality was pretty consistent with what we'd previously seen, and I personally enjoyed the surprise. Reserving full judgement until I can see how this all will be explained.

10. Lawyer in Exile

Lawyer in Exile Second Year

I found this last chapter extremely boring and couldn't help but skim through most of it.The story itself is not bad at all, with a few good ideas and regular fresh input to keep up the interest. Also, the update rate is remarkable. I will keep on following this, but probably skip some of those lengthy discussions and monologues that nearly made me fall asleep. 3.5/5 for now.

11. Clutchy

Clutchy Muggle

I've just finished reading up to chapter 9 and is heading to finish chapter 10. At overall it's quite an enjoyable read, though can be a bit boring at some point. It has a genuine plot of goblin disliking Harry so, it's interesting. That's about what I can say right now. I'll give it 3.5/5

12. yhelo

yhelo Sixth Year

I just read the whole story. It is definitely one of the better fics I've seen lately.

4/5 here.

13. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I thought the story was throughly enjoyable up through the goblin incident. Then it turned into a brand new story for two chapters I was going WTF?

It is a very good companion piece to DH in a fairly realistic way. There are a couple of points that I think are a little unrealistic but hell, suspend your disbelief briefly and it's cool. Characterzation is spot on for everyone but maybe Molly and even then it wasn't too far off.

Dialog is pretty realistic canon wise. And there are some original ideas that I thought were fantastic.

With the latest chapter I hope it hasn't all been flushed down the toilet into cliche-land. I'm just waiting for Naruto to show up and for Harry to pick up a really cool katana. (Please don't screw this story up) Does anyone ever wonder why Harry never winds up in South Africa, Georgia(asia), or maybe even Italy?

Up 'till after the Goblin incident 5/5 after that 3/5 because the plot took a massive 90 degree into left field. I'll reserve final rating until next chapter to see if I was wrong and hope that I will be.

14. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Hmm, was probably the best post-DH story I've seen until after Harry's rescue from the goblins. Then there was a WTF!plottwist - I knew there was something coming that was eluded to earlier. The actual test thing was kinda neat, but the fallout from it had me less than enthusiastic, with Harry suddenly gaining new powers. From there it went from excellent to good, with a strong leeriness from me about the direction its taking.

Before his rescue, 5/5.

Now, 4/5.

15. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

WTF...yeah, that pretty much sums up the last couple of chapters.

Kind of funny just hopping on any old BA plane out of Heathrow, though...too bad it ended up in Japan, land of way too many cliches.

16. Shade

Shade First Year

I think the fic is pretty damn awesome. Well I say that while assuming that the only reason Harry continues to be in Japan is so that he learns how to take into different perspectives of people. Kinda like crash-course politics school so far...

So withholding actualy rating until later chapters.

17. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I could see that, I really could, but now its just turned into "Japan is the shit!fic" It is 'very' well written, and if I was really into finding out every single custom that Japan offers then this would be a fantastic fic. But I thought this was going to be yanno, a Harry Potter fic. I can even see going to Japan and figuring out a few things, show that Harry is the shit with this new "Auror Leader" idea and then he'd return home.

But the Japan thing has more than shot its wad all over Harry, Japan, the reader, my computer, my dog, my neighbor, etc. It was a great story up until after the kidnapping now it is utter fail.

Final tally 3/5 and that is only because the begining was great and it well written, mechanically.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  18. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Well, with this last chapter it looks like Harry's finally going to leave Japan, as he was kicked out. Moving on to Thailand...maybe he'll pick up some 12 year old hoes.

Unfortunately, it looks like the pairing is going to be H/Ginslut.

At least the author is done fapping to Japculture.

Kevin

19. fooboo27

fooboo27 Third Year

Really well written fic. However, I often find myself scrolling through paragraphs in order to get to the good stuff. I feel that the fic would be much better off without some particular scenes. Sometimes the fic just seems to go on and on without anything of importance happening. I will say that many concepts used are a refreshing break from those Manipulative! Dumbledore and generic Independent! Harry fics.

20. Shade

Shade First Year

Dunno if anyone else has been keeping up with this fic, but.
    1. He left Japan.
    2. Ginny is and always will be a Slut.
    Oh, and up to chapter 21.