1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Penultimate Straw - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Manatheron, May 13, 2008.

1. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Title: Harry Potter and the Penultimate Straw
    Author:Ravenwood240
    Rating:T
    Genre: Darkish Independent Harry
    DLP Category: Independent/Alternates
    Pairing: NA
    Chapters: 2
    Words: 28,513
    Updated: August 6, 2008
    Published: May 11, 2008

Summary:Harry was taken from Godric's Hollow by Remus and Sirius. For fourteen years, they've been hunted by Death Eaters and the Order of the Phoenix. Harry is back in Britain and he's not Happy. Albus doesn't care. Harry is only fifteen. What can he do?
    Link: Linkage

Only One chapter, but it has an insane amount of potential. Shows promise in being a Political!Harry fic.

Checked by Minion, January 1, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Nice story. Looks promising to say the least.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Definitely looks promising. I started to cringe when the name "Yumiko" came up, but that turned out to be a non issue.

I liked how the author went about beginning the story. Other authors have had similar ideas, but none have executed it nearly as well as this one.

I'll be keeping track of this, nice find.

4. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Fics that go into the library should be good.
    Having one chapter and some potential does not make it library material.

As I said before, but stopped posting from laziness.
    Please, I ask for you to stop posting stories without enough content to judge.

5. mbond98

mbond98 Seventh Year

Heh. Promising. Too early to tell, but smells a but like A Second Chance at Life, - Akren and essential plot details. Hopefully will learn from ASCAL's mistakes.

We'll have to wait and see, but full of win. No voting yet, but, if I did, >4/5.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  6. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I like the other countries,etc. wanting to take the brits down a peg or two.

Has there ever been a story suggesting that magical england still has a large Empire.? The peeks of MoM from cannon could lead to that interpretation.

May the update gods smile on raven.

7. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Interesting start. This Dumbledore is fixated on his goals and sees them through: no matter the cost. It makes him as fanatical as Voldemort and the Death Eaters, and I really like that. I've got a feeling that when you mix this with the apparently impending fall from grace as Supreme Mugwump, the shit will really hit the fan.

That said, I'm hoping the updates will give as much focus on the present as this one did on the past. And with a clear writing style, maybe we'll even be treated to nice, subtle foreshadowing with this story. Good chapter, but I'll wait to rate it.

8. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

A good start that I will be following. It was a little dry but still acceptable.

9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I wish the writing was more atmospheric - or atmospheric at all. The overview style works for and is common in prologues, but the first installment is titled a Chapter, not a prologue. I want my setting!

10. Anarual

Anarual Seventh Year DLP Supporter

You are not an admin and you are fairly new here being a member only for a year and 2 months so STFU and stop posting shit like that !

11. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good story so far, I'm hoping that there will be a fast update rate.

12. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

My guess is that Ishtar is doing the most correction. If Kinsfire had his way this would be a harem...With dull character's.

13. C.S.Kaniel

C.S.Kaniel Fourth Year

And you've been a member since 2005 and read like you've got Down Syndrome. Also, while I agree with you, SmileOfTheKill, it's not like this can't just be binned later. I also know that's not the point, but not much can be done about it now. Short of a mod deleting the thread, that is.

14. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

That name brings back some carefully repressed memories.........

15. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

Well, it does look promising. The story doesn't look so bad and the writing style was acceptable....

I liked the idea of Sirius taking care of little Harry instead of going on a wild hunt after Pettigrew.
    The person of Yumiko gave me bad feelings about the story, but it turned to be of little consequence so far... yet it seems that some complicated international dealings might be the outcome of Harry's relation to, erm... Katsumi guy... whatever...

So far it's above average for me... will see what happens next...
    3.5/5

16. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

Sweet start and like Manatheron said “it has an insane amount of potential”. Good find.

This Dumbledore reminds me of the way IP and Yarrgh write.
    I give it 4/5

I’m just worried about the update rate. The author seems to be writing way too many stories.

+Rep to Anarual

17. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Too early to recommend (or not recommend) at the moment.

I don't like the subheadings in the story. I think the author could have just used asterisks to break up the chapter. It's clear to me what parts are set in 1996 and what parts are set in 1981.

And I wonder why Japan? Why Tibet? Why is it always Asia? Why not South America? You could have German wizarding emigres setting up their own little Durmstrang in Argentina for crying out loud.

18. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm with Adnro on this. Still, we shall see it could turn out to be brilliant or it could lack that edge that makes it epic.

What is good is subjective. The 'For Review' section was created to stop gash fics being posted and clogging up the library. There is no rule saying fics in the review section have to be good or a set length. If it's shit, the memebers will vote accordingly and it will find its place either in the recycle bin or its denoted catagory in the library. You have no place telling people what they can and cannot post.

19. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

As off now...it's a 4.75/5...I wait for more chapters before giving a definite score.

20. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I really enjoyed that opening chapter. It has Dumbledore as manipulative, like many other authors, however it is done magnificently. I will wait on more for a review score, but for now, I give it... 4.5/5