1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Archaeologists protest new Indy flick.

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Dr. Strange Lulz, May 22, 2008.

1. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Source

I find this ridiculous for two reasons. Firstly because I grew up with the Indiana Jones trilogy and they remain my favorite movies to this day. Secondly, I fell in love with history through the Indy movies not the glorified action and Nazi killing, I even decided to pursue a degree and career in archaeology based on that.

If you decide to become an archaeologist (A profession centered around a love of and deep appreciation of history) based on the idea that you're somehow going to be raiding tombs and saving the world, then you don't belong in the profession and frankly I don't fucking want you as a colleague. So GTFO. I'm glad you live alone with your cat and have never felt the touch of a woman.

But don't blame a series of movies for your shortcomings you weak minded lemming.

2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

This is strange, indeed. I've had two archaeology courses: loved them, and what made them good was that the professors were both so passionate about what they were teaching. And BOTH of them referenced Indiana Jones in their classes, regardless of how unrealistic the fiction is to the reality of being an archaeologist. Whoever this hack is, he's just suffering from penis envy.

Completely idiotic. That would be like me watching Robocop and feeling exceptionally deceived when I realized that cops did more paperwork than gunfighting. "Exceptionally naive" is more like it.

No one told you to be a eunuch, nigga. Does he read history books or romance novels? "Touch of a woman" indeed.

I guess those twelve years were wasted on you, if the highlight of your career will be a protest against Indiana Fucking Jones. And most archaeologist enjoy going into the 'armpits' of any area...since that's where the fucking history's at.

Not many artifacts at the Ritz-Carlton, faggots.

EDIT: Fuck, I think it's a joke. Oh well, at least I wasn't Rick Roll'd.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Hahaha!! That is the lulziest thing ever.

He thought that archeology was like the Indiana Jones movies....

It's funny how he sounds so disappointed that he didn't get to fight any Nazis. You'd think an archaeologist would have realized that WW2 ended in 1945.

How on earth did he get through college?

Edit: Wait.... This is a joke, isn't it? It has to be...
    Dammit, I fell for another one!

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  4. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is ridiculous the Indiana Jones movies are some of my favorite movies of all time and anybody who can't obviously see that all they are, are movies and not real is a retard.

Off-topic: I'm just about to go into college and I've always loved history, If I wanted to get into Archaeology what would you recommend Dr. Strange Lulz?

5. No Earthly Clue

No Earthly Clue Third Year DLP Supporter

Sigh, one of those idiots that blame their problems in life on something besides their own choices. Didn't he even research the career to know what he would be in for. Archeology is for people who love history and love to find it as well. And it takes time and quite a bit of digging to find things. Besides if he saw a real Nazi with a gun he probably piss himself.

6. Dr. Strange Lulz

Archaeology falls under Anthropology, which has four sub-branches.

Archaeology
    Physical anthropology
    Cultural anthropology
    Linguistic anthropology

So I'd advise looking into the programs available at whatever schools you're looking to attend and basing your decision off of the information there.

An undergraduate degree is basically all the qualification you need in order to participate in fieldwork and work in small lab studies. Getting fieldwork experience is crucial and pretty much defines and separates you from the competition when looking for a job.

Fieldwork Forum

If you take a look at the resume listings, you'll see that most people generally have the same qualifications education wise, but what sets them apart is the fieldwork experience that they have.

Here's a guide that might help as well.

Hope this helped a bit.

Best thing I can say though, have a serious love of history, find enjoyment from brushing dirt off of broken pots in the "Armpit of Africa" as that guy put it, otherwise you'll be bored to tears for the rest of your life.

7. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

8. Dr. Strange Lulz

I fucking hate fake news, like it isn't hard enough finding legit stuff on the internet, have to contend with places I trust feeding me lies.

9. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Isn't that what normally happens anyway? You just don't find out.

>.>

<.<