1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

War on FF.net

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Giovanni, Jan 27, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I am so sick and fucking tired of Dark! authors being persecuted while Slash, H-Ginny, and MPREG authors get off scot free.

From now on guys report abuse, make the FF.retards admin follow their own rules.

2. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Yes.

We are supposed to be the Dark ones, but at the moment all we do is complain to each other while the H/G and slash fans report all good stories.

I wonder how so many of us got over 70 on the Machiavelli Test. According to this we should only get max 30.

3. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

If we decide to do this I'm in...just tell me what to do.

4. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I most ceratinly am in. Just give me a fic and it's gone. :twisted:

The war has begun...

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

What's the point?

That won't stop FFN from banning dark authors.

The only way to counter FFN is by offering an alternative.

6. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Thus, PC. Tada! Wait, Darn you Raven! Finish it!

7. Master Slytherin

No, but it might open their eyes. If they get a lridiculously arge number of complaints, then they'll realise that they need to make another system.

It's happened before e.g. the new PM system after everyone kept replying to reviews and ignoring their stupid rules.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Well Ok, if I see a story blatantly breaking the rules, I might give it a try.

But I refuse to waste my time hunting for stories to report just so I could carry on with some pointless crusade. FFN is privately owned website and they can do whatever the fuck they want with stuff posted on their servers. Heh, it's funny how a communist guy has to remind you of that :)...

9. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I will begin posting links to the offending chapters of fics.

10. Master Slytherin

I'm not hunting stories...if I come across any fics that shock me (like that CocoaButter one) with insane amounts of shit, then I'll report. Against my ethics, but alas these times have forced this change.

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

The title: Somewhere I belong III
    The Crime: Harry/Snape Slash.
    The Crime We are Going to Report: Long, Conversational A/N in Chapter 3.
    The Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2520445/3/

12. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

I am probably being a dumb blonde here, but how exactly does one report a story?

13. Master Slytherin

Click the drop down menu you use for reviews (at the bottom left of the screen). It should have report possible abuse there.

However it's coming up with Http page not found for me.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

yeah...

ooops I need to add another backslash to the link.

click and try it again.

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

300 words of A/N from 6200 words of chapter text?

I refuse to report this. Some of my A/N's are longer than this.

16. Master Slytherin

Yeah you need to get something better. What about those authors that decide to reply to every single reviewer which takes up half the chapter?

17. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

18. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I'm all for complaining about ff.net's policies, and the way they respond to abuse reports, but targeting other fics out of spite is seriously petty.

If you hate slash, hate it. Don't read it. Flame the stories if the authors ask for all responses. But seriously, what the hell has shadowarwen done to you? She's writing the sort of fic that doesn't interest you, but she's not the one trying to get others' fics off a public archive.

The only thing getting together and having a group of people "report abuse" is going to do, is make you look like assholes.

The problem is not slash authors. The problem is not MPREG stories that make you ill to contemplate. The problem is not even all the Harry/Ginny canon-thumping people who refuse to read any other relationship.

The only problem is inconsistent enforcement of policies from a site, who has the freedom to enforce how they wish. Trying to get them to delete more slash fics isn't going to make your stories more acceptable to the rules. Just make sure you know the rules, abide them as best you can, and be aware when you're pushing them and could get toasted. If it's worth the risk, then accept it. If it's not, fix your own. Yes it sucks to see the fics you like get toasted, while the ones you don't stay and get reviews (from the people who do like them).

But group campaigning looking for fics you don't like that are stretching the rules is just plain shitty. And agreed with IP, that chapter's A/N was not half as long as tons of others. And if for example, Master Slytherin is worried he too could get 'deleted' for polls, then go back, edit your chapters and remove the author's notes. Don't seek out other stories with polls and try to get them toasted. (No offense Master Slytherin, I just remember you'd frequently poll readers in authors notes.)

Egads though... this is just saddening. Grow up people.

19. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Once I post my next chapter (and am done with these effing projects) I'll work lots on PC. A lot of the backend is setup, I just need to write some more code. Lots of small, tedious, but time consuming things like the CP.

20. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Agreed. And if you do decide to report them, at least leave a review or send an IM saying that you were thinking of reporting them, so they can make copy's of their FF's before they get toasted(if they do). You would be just as cruel as the Admins over there at FF.net if you go behind the authors back to get them deleted.

Not open for further replies.