PDA

View Full Version : Lost season finale

Voice of the Nephilim
05-26-2008, 06:55 PM
The season finale of Lost is on Thursday. I was wondering if there were any other Lost fans on here, and if they had any thought on the finale, or the season as a whole.

neren
05-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I think the season finale will be quite a shocker. Everything is falling into place and the present is quickly becoming like the flash forwards. I suppose we will get answers but they're probably going to leave us hanging, big time. I wonder how they'll move the island or how Ben will get himself out of the mess.

Voice of the Nephilim
05-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I think the season finale will be quite a shocker. Everything is falling into place and the present is quickly becoming like the flash forwards. I suppose we will get answers but they're probably going to leave us hanging, big time. I wonder how they'll move the island or how Ben will get himself out of the mess.

With how 4 episodes ago, Ben was transported to the deserts of Tunsinia, wearing a parka that had the symbol of the "Orchid" station on it, I'd assume that wormhole travel is part of the research that went on in the "Orchid". As to how Ben escaped Keamy and his men, I'd assume that Ben has one last bargaining chip left, which is the entire reason Widmore has tried to find him. Don't forget that it seems Widmore and Ben cannot kill one another, and can only be coerced into actions.

As for moving the island, it can only be approached from a certain bearing, says Faraday. My guess is that the island itself isn't moved, but the orientation of the magnetic fields surrounding the island shift, making it impossible to approach from the former vector.

Tehan
05-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Epileptic treeeeeeees.

neren
05-26-2008, 08:48 PM
While I believe you are right about the magnetic fields, I think it is quite possible that they will physically move the island. Jack at the end of season 3 flies all over the world hoping that the plane would crash onto the island. He is unable to find it. I think that if the island were in the same physical location, Jack would have been able to find a plane that flew near the island.

Voice of the Nephilim
05-26-2008, 09:02 PM
While I believe you are right about the magnetic fields, I think it is quite possible that they will physically move the island. Jack at the end of season 3 flies all over the world hoping that the plane would crash onto the island. He is unable to find it. I think that if the island were in the same physical location, Jack would have been able to find a plane that flew near the island.

You may very well be right, but I'm reminded of the rocket that Faraday had someone on the freighter send to the island. According to distance calculations, the rocket should have been there in a set amount of time, say 30 seconds. It took what seemed like ten times that amount of time to arrive there. So something happens to create an obscuration, whether it's artificially enlarged pockets of space, or the shifting channels of the magnetic fields actually stretch out time, so that the loss occurs from the time differential.

As for Jack not being able to find the island in the same location, modern aviation is accomplished through radar. My guess is that Widmore was only able to find the island via the event that Locke initiated when the "Swan" went critical. By using that pin-point, the island was found. If the cloaking fields were to be changed, the navigational heading no longer is valid.

Darkmakr
05-29-2008, 04:13 AM
Lost hurts my brain. I've stopped trying to figure it out. I tried back in it's first season, but now I've stopped thinking and just watching.

Voice of the Nephilim
05-29-2008, 06:00 AM
Lost hurts my brain. I've stopped trying to figure it out. I tried back in it's first season, but now I've stopped thinking and just watching.

I can see how that can turn people off. I've personally found the high level of mystery to be very engaging and involving from the point of the viewer, as most shows don't really lend themselves to wild speculation with this wide a spectrum.

scaryisntit
05-29-2008, 06:34 AM
I've been following it from the start, and still haven't missed an episode. I'm not that big of a fan, but I'm at the stage where it is better than what else is on and I do want to see how it ends.

On that note, this season has been the most interesting since the first for me. We're finally getting answers and focusing on the island, its purpose and the characters after they're rescued.

I won't see it till Sunday or Monday, as I'm an Aussie, but I have high hopes for it after the last couple episodes.

Seratin
05-29-2008, 08:15 AM
I stopped following it this season, Fanfiction got in the way.:(

Is it really that good?

Bucks
05-29-2008, 02:15 PM
I stopped following because SKY bought it of channel 5. I don't have SKY, does anyone know where I can watch all the episodes online?

neren
05-29-2008, 02:26 PM
You should be able to watch some of the episodes on ABC. I think most of this season's episode is online. If you want a more comprehensive resource search for surfthechannel on google.

Tehan
05-29-2008, 05:55 PM
I stopped following because SKY bought it of channel 5. I don't have SKY, does anyone know where I can watch all the episodes online?

Don't ask for links to pirated material on a public forum, douchetard.

Zarent
05-29-2008, 06:20 PM
-_-;

Tehan, I know what he did was out of line, but bloody hell - he already got a valid, LEGAL answer from neren, more than two hours before you posted. It's no big deal.

Calm down dude :)

Tehan
05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
What is it with people confusing my normal speech patterns with towering rage lately?

Maybe I'm a tad behind the times, I had no idea that TV shows were on the net legally. Doesn't this, y'know, completely undermine the whole television industry? Not to mention the seasons on DVD?

Solomon
05-29-2008, 07:23 PM
What is it with people confusing my normal speech patterns with towering rage lately?

Maybe I'm a tad behind the times, I had no idea that TV shows were on the net legally. Doesn't this, y'know, completely undermine the whole television industry? Not to mention the seasons on DVD?

Considering NBC (and likely ABC, as well) has advertisements in its online version? Not really, no. They're getting paid just the same as if they were being shown on the actual television. The biggest difference is that you don't have to adhere to scheduling.

Voice of the Nephilim
05-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Every episode is legally on the ABC website for viewing. No piracy required. Every single one, for those wishing to catch up.

QuaziJoe
05-30-2008, 12:06 AM
That only works if your watching it in America.

I can't even watch it and I'm in Canada, just and hour from the border.

Edit: God Damn it.... Damn son of a...

This is why I stopped watching lost. The mystery's are so far fetched and ludicrous, yet they draw you in.

Now I have to wait a good few months till it starts again and even then it will be a good 5 or 6 episodes before I even begin to understand it.

...Damn it.

Voice of the Nephilim
05-30-2008, 04:56 AM
Wow. That episode certainly fucked with my expectations of what was going on. Work now, analysis of what might have happened tonight.

neren
05-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Hmm, I was right. They did move the physical location of the island. Pretty wild episode. How on earth did Locke die? He was supposed to have been on the island with the Others. He obviously left at some point. Like Ben said, once you leave you don't come back. Did Locke move the island again or did something happen in between?

QuaziJoe
05-30-2008, 02:32 PM
No Ben can leave when ever he wants, but when he moves the island as a consequence he can't return.

Or it could be that he's not welcome back by the island... I'm guessing thats what they're going to try.

Zarent
05-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Ultra retarded theory:
Locke was dead all along. Sixth Sense, in a way.

QuaziJoe
05-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Maybee not... I figure all the survivors are pretty much a little psychic.

It could be that we have a sixth sense scenario going on here.

Maybee Claire even died sometime after child birth and that would explain why she was in the cabin

Mage
06-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Yah, for a while I was thinking that maybe the Island was somewhat like a purgatory, however I stopped with that theory after a while because it hurt my head trying to figure out how everything would work into it.

QuaziJoe
06-02-2008, 04:26 AM
Sometimes I wonder what would happen if the survivors just started to set fire to the island simply because they've had enough.

If I got kidnapped and harrased by the locals for no good reason when all I want to do is go home, I'd probably snap and just kill everything with fire.

Let's see them save the island now...

When Jack pulled the trigger on Locke I was cheering my ass off, Vague son of a bitch.

Voice of the Nephilim
06-04-2008, 06:31 PM
If Widmore's photos were any indication, along with Ben's multiple passports and vast amounts of foreign currency, Ben had been off-island many times. Taking this fact into account, it's not a stretch that whomever leads the Others, has responsibilities off-island. To me, this accounts for Locke's presence back in the United States. He certainly had the means to do so, being in possession of Desmond's boat, as well as any other zany powers that the island possesses.

The Casimir effect mentioned in the Orchid station is the attractive force between two plates that are placed near one another in a vacuum. It was said the chamber was placed next to a negatively charged pocket of exotic energy. The Vault (frozen chamber behind chamber), in my estimation, is adjacent to a pocket of anti-matter, held in checked by the "unique magnetic properties of the island". In my theory, deep beneath the earth, lay a pocket of anti-matter, or dark energy. Surrounding this is a pure vacuum, which prevents the anti-matter or whatever from becoming unstable. On the outside of the vacuum lay magnetically charged mineral walls, which is where the Casimir effect comes into play.

It is theorized, and borderline provable with mathematics, that time travel is indeed possible, but we lack the necessary energy source to accomplish that. Perhaps this dark matter, whatever, has enough energy to accomplish this. What's more, is that with a large enough energy source, the island itself can actually tessaract.

Long, rambling theory over.

The finale itself, very good by itself, but rushed in a few places.

Michael and Jin getting killed off in that matter was surprising, but a fitting end to Michael's story arc. Jin, you actually felt sorry for, especially since he wasn't ready to sacrifice himself.

I found it nice that Sayid found someone he could not handily beat in combat, and needed interference to escape from Keamy. A mercenary that cold should be a more-than-proficient killer. Loved when Keamy kicked the grenade into Omar. Keamy, you made a great bad guy, and will be missed. Still wonder what their ultimate goal was. I'd assume it would be control of the ability to traverse time, but there are many a possibility.

The producers said four-toed statue would be addressed this year. Yeah, that didn't end up happening.

I don't know how a baby survives a helicopter crash. Unless it really is a devil-baby.

Tehan
06-04-2008, 09:32 PM
A whole lot of stuff.

As someone who didn't see much beyond the first season, I feel like I've stumbled into a bizarre cousin of Mornington Crescent.

SmileOfTheKill
06-04-2008, 09:36 PM
As someone who didn't see much beyond the first season, I feel like I've stumbled into a bizarre cousin of Mornington Crescent.

Well, it is not like Harry Potter has its own crackpot ideas.

QuaziJoe
06-07-2008, 04:03 AM
I don't think there really is an ultimate goal so much as who ever controls the island wins.

Penny's old man and Ben seem to be the two warring factions and the survivors are pawns.

I'm just going to throw it out there...

The islands alive, thats what the smoke thing is, its avatar of sorts... And we have a case of the plant monster from sailormoon where the island was sick of the fighting and called in a third party to save it.

The survivors...

There I've said , its done... I'm going to bed.

The Erotic advetures of S
02-02-2009, 08:59 AM
New season is up to its third episode.

Thankfully this season seems to be flowing a lot nicer than the last one.

Its explaning more with out adding to much new stuff in.

scaryisntit
05-02-2009, 05:16 AM
As VotN started this topic with a mention of the finale for season four being near, I'll revive by stating the obvious: one episode left and then the two hour season 5 finale week after next. Who's still watching? Thoughts on the season?

I've been enjoying it quite a bit. There were a couple of iffy episodes, but overall it's been great. The time travel was a bit WTF at first but it grew on me quickly (by the end of the initial episode with it, really), and with the latest episode, it's all falling into place (re: H-Bomb). Several twists have certainly kept it interesting; Ben killing Locke, Sayid shooting (I thought killed until the next episode...) young Ben, Kate and Sawyer were the ones who brought Ben to the Others, and several others.

QuaziJoe
05-02-2009, 06:22 AM
I'm still watching. I was so totally pleased when faraday said screw fate. He'll make his own destiny.

His stupid mother has been pissing me off with her all knowing predeterminism crap.

I know it won't work but still I like the sentiment. Its better than the do whatever it takes to make the future the way you know it turns out to be because it will turn out that way anyway attitude.

That is the most annoying redundant attitude I have ever heard of.

If they think they can't change the future, they might as well do whatever the hell they want rather than constantly try not to meddle with the timeline.

I'm still wondering whats up with the ajira crew. Did they find the temple and go homocidal like the french crew... or are they working for whidmore?

Magus
05-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm still wondering whats up with the ajira crew. Did they find the temple and go homocidal like the french crew... or are they working for whidmore?

By ajira crew do you mean Sun, Locke and Ben? Or Bram and Ilana, the two people who attacked Lapidus? Ben wouldn't be working for Widmore, and if you mean Bram and Ilana, I don't think they're working for Widmore either, as Bram tried to recruit Miles and urged him not to go on Widmore's boat.

Voice of the Nephilim
05-03-2009, 09:07 PM
The title of the finale is "The Incident".

I think I have a better idea how this season will end. We've been led to believe, this entire time, that "The Incident" occurred because the magnetic energy trapped below the Swan station was punctured, causing some sort of great devastation.

Well, Pierre Change hasn't exactly been truthful in every Dharma video that he's done. We don't actually know that the Incident was truly caused by what lay beneath the site of the Swan Station. Yet we've been hearing an awful lot about a hydrogen bomb as of late...

My guess?

The island didn't always move. Faraday might have had some sort of specific plan to destroy the energy, but Jack and Kate never found out the specifics of how the hydrogen bomb would be used. Jack and Kate convince the Others to help them place the bomb underground at the Swan site. Considering the lush jungle and area, the bomb couldn't have went off above ground. I'm thinking hydrogen bomb went off in the resevior holding the energy. The resulting explosion is powerful enough to rip a hole in the space/time continuum. Now, the island is constantly tessaracting(sp?). It's described as moving because it truly is. This suits the Others purpose, since it helps to hide the island.

Oh yeah, and this season has been quite awesome overall.

scaryisntit
05-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Interesting idea. I never thought about that when I was wondering where the season would end. My thoughts had been, up until two weeks ago, the Others attack on the Dharma village. However, recent events make that theory unlikely. For this season, at least.

Since the group is heading back to the beach, will we see who was firing those lit arrows when they were jumping through time? I think that was the only one that wasn't explained...

EDIT: And the group attacking on the boats in the storm. But after thinking on it more, I'd say we won't find out.

scaryisntit
05-18-2009, 05:19 AM
My second revive of this topic, I guess. Given that there were responses last time, I assume some of you did watch the season finale?

Time for some comments. Be warned, they're not that coherent.

It was pretty silly running around with the bomb strapped to Sayid's back, but it did seem the most viable option at the time. The bomb was hardly expected to ever be moved again when it was put there, though it wasn't explained how it was moved there in the first place.

Elsewhere, Locke still actually being dead was an excellent (and pleasing) twist. It makes me happy that the island can't revive dead people on whims and not everyone. More mentions of Claire. Is she still alive and will return next season or what?

Jakob was pretty interesting, and his "opponent" (missed his name). Better explain how Jakob knows everything; where people are and why he met all the main characters from the crash at some point, not to mention all the information he gives to the "leaders". How does NotLocke look like him? How he's still alive? How's Jakob and Richard still alive, for that matter? What happened to the statue? How does Alana know Jakob? Why does she and her group keep saying they're the good guys? Who are they against?

Juliet dying was a shame. I prefered her to Kate. Juliet and Sawyer was plain weird. Still, it had the possibility of a strange symmetry that went undeveloped; Sawyer/Kate and the dozens of Jack/Juliet hints in Seasons 3 and 4. But it was all angsty looks between Sawyer and Kate.

And the big one; the bomb going off. It has to have worked, or at least done something. Otherwise Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Sayid, Miles, Hurley etc are all dead. There's no show with all of them wiped off the map so something has to have happened. I'm also at a total loss to where the show is heading now.

Still enjoying it, though, and that's all that matters right now. Most (if not all) will be explained in due time. Since I've lasted this long, I can last one more season to find out what the hell is going on.

Tl;dr: Typical LOST episodes continue. Major cliffhanger. More questions, some answers, but definitely more questions. Want more, now.

QuaziJoe
05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Not going to bother with a spoiler tag. You are Forewarned!

Frankly unless Jack stops being all serious and self isolated loner type that bemoans his life, I can't really be happy with him landing any chick.

and every chick works with Sawyer.

I actually liked the juliet sawyer relationship. It was alot more ... pleasing than the kate one.

Actually Kate and jack deserve each other just because their both so imperfect for anyone else. Together their dysfunctionally adequate.

I'm wondering if we'll ever see the real locke again, now that the nuke has gone boom.

Also if Bens daughter isn't in cahoots wiht Not-Locke then who would she siding with. I can make a guess but its probably going to be some overly complicated roundabout thing that involves her being sent to the past or the future or something to make sure jacob is killed for some reason that is completely crap and is going to take at least 3/4 of the season to explain by the writers.

Still I liked this season. Dharma was always interesting. The others, not so much. They're all just a bunch of tools being lead by here say and myth.

I have a small interest in the ajira crew... the ones who keep asking the question. They're like the others but they actually seem to unstand what they're doing.