1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dresden Comic: Welcome to the Jungle

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Magus, May 31, 2008.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

So has anyone been reading the comic iteration of everyone's favourite Wizarding detective? 2 issues are out so far and their both rather good. A compelling plot (so far) and some excellent action meant that as a prequel to Storm Front it’s everything I've wanted out of a visual version of DF. Murphy is pre-Hawaii and the 10 foot wide pool doesn’t' seem to have become lodged up her arse yet, which is win.

Thoughts anyone?

2. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I only read the first one...

It's surprisingly good.

True to the Novels but like the TV Show, with original stories.

Though I hate how they drew Murphy... She's too Arian "Eva Brawn" Bulky blonde.
    I definetly pictured her differently.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She looks like a man. Murphy is supposed to be cute, not butch. Also, isn't her hair supposed to be shorter than that? Since she does all sorts of martial arts (Aikido especially).

4. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I didn't really have high expectation from Dresden comics, but I might just get these if they are decent along with Secret Invasion from Marvel.

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... If this is the same artist from the last comic thread, I decline. The story i
    s good, from what I hear, but the artist is utter shit. Everything looks male. Even Bianca. :(

Failcomic. Read if you like, but don't do it for the art. There is none.

6. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

I though it looked pretty good. The artworks by Adrian Syaf, he's not bad. Murphy does look quite butch, in my mind she was always petite to the extent that you just wouldn't consider her a cop at first glance. I think Dresden looks spot on though, much closer to my mental image than Paul Blackstone. And the story seems to work in the way that they would have hoped to accomplish with the TV show, i.e. a great shortish story.

There was another DF comic? I’ve never heard of it, what was it called?

Yeah, despite the fact that I almost entirely hate the Marvel Universe since Civil War I carry on buying their crossovers in the hope that Tony Stark will get offed (though this could be replaced with pretty much any other pro-reg "hero"). Still based on the strength of this comic I'm almost certainly going to get any others that Butcher writes.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've only read the first issue, but it was done quite well. The biggest fault at this stage, like everyone's mentioned, is the drawing of female characters. Murphy looks like a drag queen.

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=9272

8. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Well, now that I've finished reading the last issue of Welcome to the Jungle, I thought I'd necro this and post my thoughts.

I didn't like the first one. The artwork threw me off, and I really didn't like the story at first. It didn't sit well. Murphy looked like a man, Carmichael was... decent, even though that actually wasn't what I had imagined him to look like. Dresden, though, matched up to my mental image of him quite nicely.

I immensely enjoyed the series from the second issue on, however. The story picked up quickly, and either the art improved or I just got used to it. Either way, the art isn't that big of a factor in this. The art is certainly not amazing, but it also isn't so bad that it detracts from the experience of being able to see the story, instead of just reading it.

The writing, as you'd expect from Butcher, is top-notch. It reads just like the book, in my opinion, and he also throws in a few good quality one-liners. The humor is good, and it doesn't feel like it drags on. It's concise, quality, writing.

I did have a few nitpicks, but those were more of how I imagined things compared to how they drew them. I was rather unhappy with how the Fuego spell was drawn, as I imagined it differently, but it's kind of stuck with me now.

All in all, I'd go buy these, especially if you couldn't get into the TV series like me. I tried watching them, and I found them particularly unsatisfying. These comics, compared to the books, are the next best thing. I'm actually looking forward to the Storm Front comic that's in the works. I'm hoping that it turns out well, but... We'll just have to see.

Not open for further replies.