1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pendragon

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Cruentus, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

No not King Arthur, but the book series Pendragon. Has anybody here besides me been reading it? Its on the next to last book and I'm half way through it.

I've been reading them since seventh or eighth grade

2. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I think I've dabbled in this series. I have two of them in my bookcase anyways. I'll go re-read 'em and compare notes.

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Quillion Games and such, yes? If so, yeah, I've been reading them for a while.

And now I realize I barely remember anything about them and will probably have to re-read them. Let's see if I can find my books.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I started them around the same time you did. Not many people I know has read them, although my local Library has all of the released ones.

I'm not sure which to spoiler tag or not. So, in the below, if you find anything worthy of spoilering, tell me. I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

I find the series pretty engaging, and the format is to the point where sometimes you get tired of it (when they talk about his Homeworld friends), but when Bobby is battling against Saint Dane, its really indepth. The majority of the times, to me, some of the outcomes are not what one would expect.

Cruentus, I wouldn't read the below, seeing how your only half way through, so I'll tag this as well.

Like the most recent book. I didn't realize what was going on until it was in my face. Then, the double teaming action, and all the trips to First, and Third earth really made it a good read. Although, I'm dissapointed with them all right now, the final battle is coming close and there is only so much more plot development that the author can do.

It makes me wonder how much more Bobby can do in preparation to fight Saint Dane, what sort of abilities he will get, and in the end-
    The Travalers paradox, in which all the travelers seem to be illusions.

I've read on the site...

That there will be a time skip in the next one. Dunno if this is true.

... this really bums me out, in a way, because the few books that I've read, in which it occured, the author uses it as a way to speed up the plot, when they could of added additional character development, etc.

@Cruentus: Which one is your favorite?

For me, it was the Lost City of Faar.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  5. Cruentus

Rivers of Zadaa was the best in my opinion, but that might be just because I like Loor.

6. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    That's funny, because up till that book I was really into them, yet I never finished it and never got any further in the series.

7. Cruentus

Ya for me the first two or three books kinda dragged. It wasn't until Rivers that I really started taking a good interest in the whole thing.

Saint Dane's bad ass moment in The Reality Bug was truly awe inspiring, he's the kinda guy that DLP likes actually.

8. Zombie

Agreed.

Edit:

To me, when the time for Saint Danes plan to unfold, there are certain factors that you read througout the book that you go, "Geez, I should of seen that," or "Man, I saw that, and I thought it was important, I can't believe that I forgot it."

The way everything folds out, its almost like Clue. Your given everything your needed, except for maybe one crucial detail, and thats really the POV of Saint Dane, and then bam, you have your Colonel Mustard.

The way Saint Dane acts throughtout the majority of each book, before the worlds conflict comes to a boil is pretty blase.

This all feeds into me wanting more. That, or I go back and re-read everything, to see what it is I might of missed.

Either way, I think that they are masterfully written. I really hate to see this series come to a end. Although, when it does, hopefully it'll be spectacular.

I'll admit that when he does the "kids as kids" thing, it does get annoying. The majority of the dialouge is almost in journal format. So, maybe a bit of literary license is to be accepted/expected.

The books are pretty original. They are some of the first dimension hopping, fight for the universe type of books I've read. For what its worth, they're all good, flaws included.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  9. Cruentus

Now that I think about it I really have never been able to pick up on what his plan is until its staring at you in the face. At one moment it seems like he wants this outcome, but at the end of the book it was completely different, and your left staring at the pages for a minute or two.

10. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I've read most of them, I finished the... Quillan games and then I never bothered reading the new one simply because stuff got int he way.

It's a good concept, original and all... but sometimes the the author tries to hard to portray the kids as kids. He clearly doesn't know how to write dialog.

Though I often wonder who would be more bad ass Saint Dane or Voldemort.

Personally my favorite book was when they met gunny( is that his name, I haven't looked at the series in a while). He is so full of win its indescribable.

Has anyone else checked out the audio books. I couldn't find the hardcover version of the quillan one, but the library had the audiobook so I took it. I Hate when that guy does the girls voices. It makes me wanna punch a penguin.

And I love penguins, almost as much as Amerison loves his sheep.

11. Cruentus

Gunny was introduced in the third book, he's the traveler from first earth.

I think it was called the Never War, or something like that.

As much as I like Saint Dane as a Bad Guy I absolutely loath Nevva.

Now that I can agree with.

On that note how do you do spoiler tags?

thanks

12. Zombie

Iirc, she's Saint Dane's protoge, correct?

I don't really hate her, per se. I think she does her job well. She's there to make Bobby's life hell, along with Saint Dane. But, more so, she gives you an aspect of the story that is almost plausible. To me, she represents a redeeming character.

I could almost see the author, at the end of the book, having Nevva change for the good, and together they battle Saint Dane to save all Halla. This seems almost to plausible though, and if it was to happen, I'd be pissed. What's your take on this?

[\spoiler]

Change the forward slash to a backslash.

13. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

She's the Judas right. Yeah after what happened to Quillan, that was so freaking bad you just wanna kick her in the crotch. And Quillan was horrifying to me.

I loath 80's movies because they always have some bleak future where a corporation has free reign over civilization.

I kinda wish the travelers would just play dirty for once... it's really only when people travel that everything gets fucked. not the things they bring with them. As long as they take stuff back or destroy it I still don't see the harm.

Though I'm guessing the author made that abundantly clear some how at the end of the new book.

14. Cruentus

He did.....but I'm not going to ruin it for you.

Remember Zombie I haven't gotten to the end of Raven Rise yet.

15. Zombie

I'm getting flashbacks of Mario the Movie when you mention that, for some reason.

Read the most recent book. That's all I'm willing to say. Edit: Or if your lazy, there is Sparknotes.

Lol, sorry, getting ahead of myself, Cruentus.

I almost expect, that everytime Bobby confronts Saint Dane at the turning point, that they'll sit down and have a snack while Dane monologues his actions. Although, in an almost Holmes fashion, you begin to understand, and that is what really builds on the wtf moments in the books.

Its after he explains it, that you really begin to want to look back, re-read, and just question what you already knew about the situation.

Also, to me, when they have their chats, before he goes all uber!villan and start his monologue- Does it seem like he's trying to instruct Bobby?

Like, if Saint Dane intended to make Bobby a more versitile characteropponent, in the sense that, he teachs him something, and the current game of chess becomes a new one, only this time the opponent has improved their methods, and sets up a better defense/offense.

16. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I always figured Saint Dane was like Anikin. The original chosen leader, who went nuts and a new one had to be chosen to be the hero.

On a separate note, I'm still waiting for Gunny and that guy who sounds Australian to me to suddenly pop up and say, "We found another Flume, what we miss?"

17. Cruentus

Yes it does seem like that. It also hasn't been answered yet exactly why Saint Dane is doing all of this in the first place. You remember Bobby's theory right?

18. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Not really no... I barely remembered the word flume. Though I remember the plot pretty clearly.

@Zombie: Speak no ill will toward the Brothers! For They were Awesome!

Wasn't that a 90's movie? Same time the last live action ninja turtles came out.

19. Zombie

There are distinct parallels, yes...

After Black Water I sorta forgot about Gunny, even with how cool he is, and that other guy...I forget his name, but he's from Corral, if I recall. Bobby likes to make mention of them, along with Kira...Sorta as like, regretable actions. I think this is fodder for later conflict, and yeah, hidden flume. One can dream, right?

I don't remember all of it. Its been a bit since I've read it, and its to singular to remember entirely.

I thought the goal was to merge all of halla into one super world, or, is the end result, the crashing of all the other worlds?

Are you talking about prequal actions, or things thats happend in the book, or what will happen?

Edit:
    Maybe. I don't really remember. I just remember the Koopa Corp, or whatever it was called, lol.

No ill will intended my friend, they are indeed awsome.

20. Cruentus

Bobby thinks that Saint Dane got screwed over by the system thats in place now somehow and has vowed to change it for that reason. This would also fit with Nevva's reason for siding with Dane

The guy from Cloral is named Spader, Vo Spader.

I loved the Mario Bros. movie

What was your favorite world?