1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

'h'aight, bitches. Time to see if I can't dig up some new fiction.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Coyote, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

So, HP fanfiction is dead, long live HP fanfiction. Okay, so maybe it's not dead, but I've read damn near every semi-decent fic around, and I'm getting sick of slogging through crap from sheer stubbornness. Figure a lot of you nigs are in the same boat I am.

Time to find some new fiction and have fun, damnit.

I'll take any reccomendations, but just as a heads-up, I despise 99% of swords and horses fantasy. (I don't know why, considering I love modern/urban fantasy, and am fascinated with weird shit and magic systems in books.)

Oh, and don't limit it to just books. If it's a part of a series, tell me. Might catch my eye. And if it's a comic/graphic novel... Well, my favorite bit of fiction is Transmetropolitan.

As for what not to reccomend because I'll cockslap you:
    -Neil Gaiman, I've already read everyfuckingthing by him.
    -Terry Pratchett, not a huge fan of him.
    -Harry Potter, because if I don't put it down here, some idiot's going to try to make a funny.
    -Wheel of Time
    -Dresden Files, I follow that series religiously
    -Codex Alera
    -The Invisibles, read it.
    -The Walking Dead, read it.
    -Anything by Philip K. Dick, because I've probably read it.
    -Anything by the guy who wrote Fight Club, he annoys the piss out of me.
    -Anything by Heinlein, because I've already read it, and the dude was just an old pervert.

Anything else that's good, goes. The weirder the better.

Stand and motherfuckin' deliver.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

As I recommended on IRC, to cut down on repetition.

David Eddings. Deliberately generic fantasy with focus on genuinely likeable characters.

The Hollows series. Haven't actually read it, but got recommended... possibly by Mors. It was described as Anita Blake minus angst. A glance at the wiki makes it sound like post-apocalyptic Dresden Files if Dresden was a chick.

Artemis Fowl series. Read it when I was still a misty-eyed teenager, so not sure if it's actually good or not (damn you, nostalgia). More contemporary fantasy.

Something new:

Matthew Reilly - basically, he realised that books don't need a special effects budget and went batshit on HOLY SHIT NO HE DIDN'T. Hovercraft chase sequences. Driving a car into a helicopter. Throwing large objects out of tall buildings. Killer whales. Giant panthers. FUCK YEAH MOTHER.

4. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

*scratches down a few of the suggestions* Keep 'em coming, folks. I run across anything I want to reccomend, I'll post it here.

Also, anyone who hasn't read Transmetropolitan? Get on that.

5. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

"The Last Wish" by Andrzej Sapkowski. Ever played "the Witcher"? That game is based on this novel. Poles have a knack for writing fantasy.

P.S. Hmmm, there's a spontaneous thought. Anyone thought about writing "Fable" fanfiction?

6. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

7. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch, and Final Watch all by Sergei Lukyanenko. Huge series in Russia that is most definitely Urban Fantasy, which you apparently like.

I read the first book way back, but the second took so long to come out that I had forgotten about it under other pursuits. Still, if the rest were as good as the first, and if the Russians didn't fuck up, then you should probably read them.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and Night Watch has its own movie as well.

Here's a link to the wiki for the novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(Russian_novel)

8. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

The Sword of Truth series - Terry Goodkind (completed)
    Symphony of the Ages - Elizabeth Haydon
    All series - Raymond Fiest
    The Kingless Land series - Ed Greenwood (completed)
    Awakened Mage and Innocent Mage - Karen Miller (completed)
    Shadow of the Lion - Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint, and David Freer
    The Instrumentalities of the Night series - Glen Cook
    Chronicles of the Necromancer - Gail Z Martin (complete)
    The Obsidian Trilogy - Mercedes Lackey, James Mallory (complete)
    The Apropos Series - Peter David (complete)
    Temeraire - Naomi Novik
    Nightfall and The Return of Nightfall - Mickey Zucker Riechert (completed)

Goodkind is a decent read, the first few are excellent and overall a good series.
    Haydon starts out great and starts to peter out by the last one that came out.
    Greenwood has been a favorite of mine since I was a teenager before I grew out of The Forgotten Realms.
    Mercedes Lackey can't write by herself, but this is a pretty damned good series.
    Extremely different from anything else. An engaging read, the only series Cook has that's worthwhile.
    Martin came out with a very different take on Necromancy and it's a great read.
    The Obsidian Trilogy is probably in the top ten favorite series of all time for me.
    Apropo is one of the best anti-hero/parodys out there, bar none. You also might want to check out his One Knight Only series, modern day politician King Authur.
    Riechert actually has a few decent series but the Nightfalls are by far the best. Read the first one when I was 12-13 and it hooked me into the genre better than Tolkien ever did.
    Temeraire is written by a Brit for Brits, it's still a pretty good read.

9. Cathal

All four are absolutely epic. Twilight Watch is my favourite, though. The scene in the airport... Nah, not gonna spoil it to anyone.

10. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I have the movie in it's original Russian format and it's.....interesting. I didn't know there was a book series that went along with it. I'll have to go pick those up tomorrow.

Edit: The Osserian Saga - David Forbes

11. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I guess my answer would depend on... how many reccs do you want? :p

I don't recc Kim Harrison's Hollows series. It fails.

In Urban Fantasy Genre, hmm, you might want to look at:

1. Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko
    2. Felix Castor series (The Devil You Know and sequels) by Mike Carey
    3. Cal Leandros series (Nightlife, Moonshine, Madhouse) by Rob Thurman
    4. Convergence series (Unshapely Things, Unquiet Dreams) by Marc del Franco
    5. Half-Life or Almost A Vampire series (One Foot in the Grave, Dead on my Feet etc.) by William Mark Simmons [Warning: slapstick humour. Good though.]

These were mostly first-person/action/detective types. For some more variety, let me add:

6. Anything by John Crowley (Little, Big; Aegypt; Love and Sleep; Daemonomania)
    7. Anything by Charles de Lint
    8. Emma Bull (Mainly War for the Oaks, but she generally writes good urban fantasy)
    9. Simon Green (Nightside series. An... acquired taste.)
    10. China Miéville (Read him nigger. Do it.)

I'll need some more details before I can recc some general SF/F, cause frankly there're hundreds to choose from. You might try FBS and watch the various top 10 lists they have put up; I mostly respect their choices.

12. Blazing Chime

Blazing Chime Second Year

The Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud

The Bartimaeus trilogy is a fantasia that happens in a world where true magicians and djinns (genie) exist. My personal favorite and the main character is superb.

The Children of the Lamp by P.B. Kerr
    Also a story that deals with djinns. Light read, aimed for younger teenagers.

Most books by Tami Hoag

She's simply Tami Hoag. Words alone cannot describe her stories. The first book that I read by her was Death Sky and I recommend everybody on DLP to read it. They are usually some kind of detective stories but they tend to be a bit dark and disturbing.

13. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I stand behind that recommendation. Good book, all in all, and the main character has some welcome sarcasm in his repertoire.

14. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

His Dark Materials trilogy - Philip Pullman [Completed] - Book is epic on scales that most can't compare. A beautiful blend of philosophy, action and a rosy touch of romance. (lol.) Anyways. Tis great.

The Reader - Bernhard Schlink. - A book that proves that even Opera gets it right, sometimes. Sadly, its translated into English.

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini - Not as good as the Kite Runner, but still great, and still worth it.

The Enchantress of Florence - Salman Rushdie - Okay. Shalimir the Clown sucked, and the Ground Beneath her Feet was no so much a good book, as a fun read. Fury was nice, but not dazzling. That's why its very fullfilling to finally read a good Rushdie novel again. The Enchantress is good, possibally great. But that is an epitith left best to hindsight. Worth the time spent. Prose is as convuluted as it was.

15. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I just started rereading David Weber's "March to the Stars" series - still an exciting read. I love all his stuff.

16. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

George R. R. Martin. Nuff said, faggot.

Jennifer Government by Max Berry. Awesome book.

And Yeah, dont read the Hollows. Its sucks. The Wiki makes it look like Post-Apocalytic ChickDresden, but it fails to deliver.

Name of the Wind from the KingKiller series.

17. Cathal

Night Watch the movie is shit. Ok, so acting was good but the plot was totally butchered. Day Watch was better but still not up to my standards.

A lovely book just poped up in my mind - Options by Robert Sheckley. The weirdest thing you'll ever read. Genre? Mmm, I'd say "Stoned Sci-fi/Fantasy".

18. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    The Chronicles of Narnia is supposed to be pretty good.

19. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Laurie R King writes *excellent* murder mysteries, in the style of Sherlock Holmes.
    You can't go wrong with Lois McMaster Bujold.

20. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Lulz. I second this. Seriously.

Also, Tad Williams is King. War of the flowers, the Otherland series and the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series are all amazing. Haven't started the Shadowmarch series yet, but it looks pretty good too. If you do nothing else, read the Otherland series. One of my favourites of all time.